Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I recently purchased a Vortex sprocket and chain kit, this one. The WSS version, which is apparently the stock gearing and chain length, "warranty" version.

I have installed the sprocket and chain and noticed 45mph to 55mph, I hear a whirring/whining sound. And it does sound like its coming from the left side when I ride, so I am assuming it may be the new and only products I just put on. I haven't gone faster than 55mph in fear of anything getting damaged, but ran the bike to 55mph 5 times, and the noise is present each time.

For some peace of mind, is it just because the front sprocket does not have the rubber dampers that it is making the noise?

The only other thing that I can think of that is making the noise is that I may have put on the front sprocket backwards?

I put on the flat side faced outward...the inside has the lettering and a lip type circle around the center. I've read and heard that lettering always faces out, but for some reason when I tried with lettering outward, the sprocket would not go onto the gear. I could get it into place, but it would not slip on. Once I reversed it, flat side outward, it slipped on without any problems. I heard also that the front sprockets go on the gear like a "key", so I also spun the sprocket several times to see if it would slip on, but no avail. Flat side outward slips on perfectly..so I installed it that way. Now I feel I may have made a mistake, and maybe didnt try hard enough to get the sprocket on with lettering outward? I will call tomorrow to hear the specifics but I am confused. :(
Also is it normal for the front sprocket and sprocket nut to be really hot? Was touching areas to find what may be rubbing and causing the smell.

Also, after installing this product, along with the noise I smell a faint burning rubber. I have no clue where it could be coming from, or even if it is associated with the noise. But I figured, noise = rubbing on something = burning smell. I looked at the chain and sprockets, they seem like line up straight but I didnt give a detailed look as I was really tired and just wanted to get out of the garage. Possible the chain rubbing on something like the the chain guide? I am unsure of what it is called, the rubber/plastic piece under the chain on top of the swingarm. The chain seems to be very very close to the chain guide at the end, right before the chain meets the front sprocket. I thought this may be the burning smell, but I touched the area and chain, was not hot at all.

The bike is 2015, I also changed coolant and oil with this sprocket/chain install but I don't think it has to do with the noise/smell.

Sorry for the extremely long post, wanted to be detailed.
Thank you

·
Registered
424 Posts
Have you made sure the chain is aligned and tensioned correctly?
I would also be having a very close look at any area around the chain and sprockets to see if there's any signs/damage from any rubbing

·
Registered
48 Posts
Something is out of line. Get down and look from the rear to see if the chain is going straight from the rear to the front. You may have to remove covers to see everything

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you made sure the chain is aligned and tensioned correctly?
I would also be having a very close look at any area around the chain and sprockets to see if there's any signs/damage from any rubbing
Something is out of line. Get down and look from the rear to see if the chain is going straight from the rear to the front. You may have to remove covers to see everything

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hey guys, thank you for the replies and suggestions.
I ended up calling Vortex and they confirmed the lettering should be facing outward. So I gave it another shot and I ended up getting the sprocket on, I had to force it and jimmy it onto the gear.

I checked alignment of the chain, looked pretty straight to me. Double checked tension, I have the slack at 1.5 inches, OEM recommends 1.38in to 1.7in.
I did a test ride and the whine is no longer prominent, but I do still hear a faint roar? The same kind of roar that huge tires make on lifted trucks and jeeps if you've ever rode in one, but very faint/background noise. It happens at the same speed, 50mph+. I'm not too worried about it, as its way quieter than what was before. Not sure what it could be though.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Some chains are louder than others so the sound now might be completely normal. I'ld suggest a chain alignment tool to make sure it is aligned properly (they aren't expensive)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts