Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my R3 today. It's a "used" 2015 in blue, and had 500 miles on it. How someone could ride this for only 500 miles and be bored is beyond me, but that's the story I got from the salesperson (also a buddy of mine) that I bought it from. The original owner traded it in on a Triumph Street Triple and managed to save me over $1000 over the cost of a new bike in the process.

Oh well - his loss. :)

This is one of the few bikes I've purchased that I've been able to test ride before buying.

My current list of previous bikes (not including quads or 50's):

1975 Honda CB750 Super Sport
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2012 BMW F650GS
2009 Kawasaki KLX 250S
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2014 Honda Grom
2007 BMW K1200S

List of current bikes:

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
1969 Honda CD175 (ground up restoration/customization in progress)
and now my 2015 Yamaha R3

I was honestly in the dealer looking at a 2015 Yamaha SR400, which the dealer had outfitted with cafe style bars ("clubman" I believe is the term) and some other things. I really like the look of vintage bikes. Ultimately I decided that the 1969 Honda that I'm restoring would scratch that itch once it was done though, so I opted out of the SR400. I also looked briefly at the Honda NC700X, since they had a couple of them marked down from $7699 to $5999.

I hmm'ed and haw'ed for a few days and stumbled upon a YouTube review for the R3. My sister-in-law had a Ninja 250 (08) and I'd ridden that before and wasn't a fan. Way too slow, and I hate carbs. Too much hassle. I'd never paid much attention to the new round of 300s that were out. Not that I was one of those bros who thought they were "above" a small bike (I do own and love a CD175 for f's sake, and even loved my 125cc Grom until I realized that it couldn't do 60 and keep up with traffic on the way to work).

The R3 looks SO good though, especially for the price. I already have a "big" bike with the Monster 1200S, and I wanted something that wasn't super loud and fast and attention-getting for just run-around stuff. The R3 looked like it fit the bill perfectly. Heads and tails better than the offerings from Honda (way down on power) and Kawi (carb'd). To add injury to insult was the like-new R3 they had with 500 miles on it for $1,000 off retail sticker, and more than that realistically since it didn't include any "dock fees" or "build fees" that come with buying a new bike. It was basically price, tax, done.

Like I said above, I actually got to ride it. It surprised me. It wasn't as slow as I thought it was going to be, and besides just that... it kinda had a magic to it. I can't really explain it, it was just an instant "I really like this bike, it has character and it's fun" aspect. The same feelings I get when I drive my Mazda MX5. Sure it's not the fastest thing ever, but it has character, and soul, and it likes to be flogged... and in return it provides happiness and smiles. What a great machine.

I rode it home in the pouring rain today. Probably ruined a pair of leather shoes and continuously had to keep pushing water off my visor so I could see... but it was worth it. I bonded with my new little machine today, and I couldn't stop smiling all the way home.

I haven't read many posts on this forum yet, and I'm sure there are a ton of them that will be along the lines of "Yeah... I picked this bike up as a 'first bike,' but I plan to get something bigger soon." I'm expecting to see tens, or even hundreds of them. As explained above, I have a 155+hp tuned Ducati Monster in the garage, and I LOVE riding that bike. It's sexy, it's fast as all ****, it has torque for days at any RPM in any gear, it's loud, it's snorty, and it has a presence... but there's something fun and special about the R3. When I pulled it in and parked it next to my little MX5, it's almost like I felt the MX5 smile a little. It's now among family.

The R3 is a great little bike. It feels special. My advice would be to not think about it as a "beginner bike." Don't pay attention to the liter bike bros, or the 600cc bros that say "liter bikes are stupid, you can't use that power on the street anyway, 600 is where it's at." etc. etc. There's something that's genuinely fun about being able to use 100% of the power of a small bike, while listening to it sing you it's praises in the process. Let the bros argue and criticize all the want... unless the size of your manhood is measured by the size of your motorcycle, enjoy the R3. I can't wait to get on mine again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome to the party!

The politely-putter or use-it-all-up-and-rip aspect of this class is exactly why many of us enjoy it. I will add something torqueier to the stable some day, but never because the R3 can't tear it up every which-way on public roads with the right gear and throttle hand.

I am a speed junkie like many on here, but personally I've noticed fun acceleration is only achieved with the perception of acceleration. I've been on a few rocket rides that get fast so fast that the fun's over before you even get to enjoy it. In motorcycles the S1000RR comes to mind and cars with a 911 GT2 -- both well over 130 with only a poke before I shut the party down, but effortlessly sterile in both cases. I can also admit to having no real fun getting from 0-120 in four seconds on Cedar Point's Top Thrill Dragster -- by the time my senses process it the ride is over. There are some slower coasters in the park that are 10 times more entertaining because their layouts engage more senses than simple moon shot acceleration.

Your MX-5 comparison is apt. I have a few pretty powerful cars, but find the fun in them only a few seconds at a time if I'm the least bit self conscious about cops in the area (they are known to be present). In reality I rarely drive these cars at a pace that would exceed an MX-5 or Elise doing 8/10ths, meaning most of the power lives only a "nice to have if I want it" life only.

The R3 is perfect for my purposes -- it's been nothing but a joy, and I can't say that about many things I've owned.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome from England.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to the paddock...I'm new here myself.

I got mine less than a week ago for exact same reasons. Yeah...got bigger and faster but I'm taking the R3 out...and you're right, you can't stop grinning. Couple of the liter boys got left in sharp turn and, though they quickly caught me, they did a 'once-over' and I can see them going "WTF is that?"

Grin Machine man..especially when you think about how cheap it is in cost, insurance, and gas....

Jay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys.

I hear you on the insurance. Mine is 1/2 as much to insure as my Monster.

Went out for a hundred or so miles yesterday. It was cold and raining so I ended up going back home and washing her up in the garage. Here's a pic from before it started raining.

I'm going to be glad to get that huge fender off the back and get a set of flush mount blinkers for the front. I'll be doing both of those things ASAP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just Joined

Got my bike Blue R3 last fall has been great. Slowly building up time on it.
Also have:
Honda CRF70F pit bike
Yamaha TTR 125LE
BMW R100/7 I am restoring
That's about it for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts