Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm a newbie rider, the only experience I have is riding a bicycle so hopefully, that carries over, lol. Taking my time to learn all the ins and outs for the R3 and so far this forum has been great. Will be taking the motorcycle safety course soon to learn all the basics and hopefully from there pass the DMV exam and move forward with picking up my license, the bike, and the gear. Really looking forward to gear shopping as there are so many different styles and brands to choose from which really makes the whole process so much fun as you get a chance to express yourself style-wise.

Really excited to begin this new chapter in life, as said I have little to no experience but from what I've read the R3 seems to be the perfect bike for someone like me who's just starting out and looking to use it as a commuting vehicle as I was trying to find the quickest way to get into the carpool lane without having to make too much of an investment.

Anyhow, trusting the process and hope to be riding soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike has been a blast since I've brought her home from the dealer. Was super scared to ride her home from the dealer as I didn't want to end up on a youtube fail compilation video but luckily I took it slow and steady and took the back roads from the dealer home so didn't have to deal with too much traffic and it was a weekend so I was a good real world test of things to come.

Since then have done small trips in and around town. Probably the second day did the usual noob thing and took the bike to a large empty parking lot to work on shifting, braking, turning, coming to a stop, taking off from a stop, etc....

Hit a small string of bac luck but just this last weekend took the bike through some twisty roads so it was nice to open up the bike a little. When I got to the top of the hill I was coming to a stop caught some bad footing and had lay the bike down on. Was super pissed at myself as I told myself I would never let the bike fall, damage wise took a small scratch on my exhaust. Guess it was a bad day for me as on my way home was coming to a stop at an intersection and once again guess i lost my balance and this time the bike fell on the left side. Was able to quickly pick up the bike and damage wise my left turn signal light needed to be popped back in and got another small scratch on the fairing. Hopefully, that will be the last couple of times that I drop the bike. Was wondering if I should pick up frame sliders to see if that would help save my fairing and other external parts from getting scratched/damaged on minor drops.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sliders are effective for those sort of falls. Not sure if they will help in a lowside/high side as I have always snapped my sliders off. Every crash is different. Sliders can be had for less than $100 so if that is more cost effective for you than buying new fairings then sure, get them. Again youth, every crash or drop will be different. I have a set on my bike but am debating on taking them off. The risk of having them on and snapping off in the frame or engine may not be worth it for some. You should also invest in some good leathers.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sliders are effective for those sort of falls. Not sure if they will help in a lowside/high side as I have always snapped my sliders off. Every crash is different. Sliders can be had for less than $100 so if that is more cost effective for you than buying new fairings then sure, get them. Again youth, every crash or drop will be different. I have a set on my bike but am debating on taking them off. The risk of having them on and snapping off in the frame or engine may not be worth it for some. You should also invest in some good leathers.
Thanks for the response Kojiiro. Ya, I'm still undecided about frame sliders as well. The weather has been pretty warm lately so in terms of jackets been riding with a textile based one to keep cool. Have yet to get on a freeway yet but been on an expressway and got up to speed at some straight a ways so I figure that would be a good simulation of what riding on the freeway would be like. But ya, got the leather jacket on standby when I eventually plan on graduating on getting on the freeway.

Currently still trying to build up my confidence for lane splitting. A couple of times I've been around town and there have been opportunities to snake my way up but for some reason, I always seem to chicken out. Have done like small 1-3 car splits but nothing with a super long line yet. Still looking to find more roads to continue practicing guess I just gotta go for it and not doubt myself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the response Kojiiro. Ya, I'm still undecided about frame sliders as well. The weather has been pretty warm lately so in terms of jackets been riding with a textile based one to keep cool. Have yet to get on a freeway yet but been on an expressway and got up to speed at some straight a ways so I figure that would be a good simulation of what riding on the freeway would be like. But ya, got the leather jacket on standby when I eventually plan on graduating on getting on the freeway.

Currently still trying to build up my confidence for lane splitting. A couple of times I've been around town and there have been opportunities to snake my way up but for some reason, I always seem to chicken out. Have done like small 1-3 car splits but nothing with a super long line yet. Still looking to find more roads to continue practicing guess I just gotta go for it and not doubt myself.
did you finish the CHP course yet? don't go on the freeway until you have your M1 lic, you'll get your bike impounded..

just wait til you split to the front of the line then stall when the light turns green and have 20 cars on either side of you waiting for you to start back up and go lol

no-cut shogun frame sliders would have been good for the drops you described, but not for anything more than that - a higher speed slide would snap them right off..

also, i hope you have a garage - bay area is high crime area for sport bikes

ride safe and good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you finish the CHP course yet? don't go on the freeway until you have your M1 lic, you'll get your bike impounded..

just wait til you split to the front of the line then stall when the light turns green and have 20 cars on either side of you waiting for you to start back up and go lol

no-cut shogun frame sliders would have been good for the drops you described, but not for anything more than that - a higher speed slide would snap them right off..

also, i hope you have a garage - bay area is high crime area for sport bikes

ride safe and good luck!
Appreciate the concern but I've been sticking to the process so to speak and taking my time. I've successfully passed the California Motorcycle Safety Program, got my new M1 license and insurance. All that's left is to wait for my new license plate to show up and get my formal paperwork for the bike and that should be it.

I think before I dropped my bike stalling was a major concern for me but I think the more and more I ride I'm starting to get down the feel/sensitivity for the throttle so hopefully stalling will happen less for me as I'm currently still focusing on my most recent errors which involved dropping the bike. In terms of security got the bike chained to a pole with disc lock so hopefully that will deter any kind of theft.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A word of advise. Don't start lane splitting till you have more seat time and and more confident on the bike. Falls of the sort your having can be disastrous if they occur between lanes.

CJ

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Open to suggestions on how to ease into/practice lane splitting.

Been practicing at a few stop lights when the space between cars is pretty large and so far have been able to filter to the front and take off smoothly when the light goes green without any problems/stalls. Was super scared/excited after I completed my first mini split (no more than 1-3 cars). If the space that I'm coming up to doesn't seem like I can comfortably get through I just get in line with everyone else. I know expert level lane splitting will involve splitting into tight spaces and having to maneuver around other cars, car mirrors, switching lanes, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Practice at the DMV test area after hours. When I first started riding I would go and practice weaving in and out around the small circles in the middle, and riding slow in between the straight lines. All that will help with your low speed maneuvers and build confidence.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Planning on spending my next outing working on some slow turns, u turns, stopping and going into a turn, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on the new wife! If you want to spend some time getting to know your bike better I may be able to help you out a bit. I live in the south bay if you'd like to meet and practice go on some rides.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good, let's see how many folks we can round up and go for a nice ride together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts