Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
Im new into the mechanical world , and my first forum into becoming a gear head is my first motorcycle.
this may be a very embarrassing question but i cant understand it, have tried to google on the topic with little satisfaction and well want to squash the curioustiy and learn.

so the bike comes with mutlifunction display. I read the owners manula and i do not understand what each of those functions are for? when they are used, how to use the information , what that information means to me, and when or why i would reset them.

1. Oil tripmeter --
a. is this so that you can set the bike to alert you at your periodic oil change interval?
b. and if so does it mean if i do not reset it when i do an oil change (plan to do one for winterizing the bike myself) , that it will not alert me for when my next oil change should be coming due (in my case it would be my first 1000 km service)?

2. Fuel Reserve Tripmeter --
a. what is this?
b. what does the number mean?
c. when would i reset it? and why would I want to reset it?

3. Trip 1 -- what is this for?
4. Trip 2 -- what is this for?

lol silly questions, as I am sure this is standard in all types of auto mechanics you get everywhere.. so appreciate the help after a few chuckles at my expense

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
The manual explains that the first oil change should be done at 600 and then after that, to change the oil when the display tells you to. When you change the oil, the oil tripmeter needs to be reset.

The display will alert you when you have hit your fuel reserve, which is 0.79 gallons of fuel. The flashing alert lets you know it would be a great time to find a place to refuel soon. You can reset this fuelmeter through the display, or it will reset itself after you fill up and ride about 5 miles.

The trip meters (1 & 2) are simply resettable odometers so you can measure trips. They give you two so you can measure different things. For example, some people use one to measure distance of a trip and another to measure distance between scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
i did read the manual and so read that , but
okay so basically Fuel Reserve Tripmeter --

after i fill up tank, i reset it, and it will do a countdown to empty to tell me how much i have left in tank before im empty and so know when to refuel?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just refuel when the last bar on your fuel gauge starts flashing.. or before.. I usually refuel when it gets down to one bar

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Thanks,
i did read the manual and so read that , but
okay so basically Fuel Reserve Tripmeter --

after i fill up tank, i reset it, and it will do a countdown to empty to tell me how much i have left in tank before im empty and so know when to refuel?
When you start getting the flashing Trip F... go get gas. It will reset itself once you fill up and start ringing again.
Some people don't like seeing it once they've filled up and since it can take up to 3 miles to reset on its own, there is a manual reset option.
If you ride until you hit the reserve... you're doing it all wrong. Just fill up when you get low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts