Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings R3 riders,

I'm looking at getting a R3 as an around the town bike, but had a couple questions. First, I generally enjoy all bikes. Last year I got the grand daddy - a BMW K1600 - for distance touring/cruising with my wife. As part of the agreement, I sold an older 2002 FZ1 1000 and 2000 1100 Vstar. Still have my wife's 2007 Vulcan 500 but that is getting sold this weekend. I really enjoy the K1600, but sometimes it is like driving a tack with sledge hammer when I want to do a few errrands or just get out and ride for a bit.

I also keep reading the R3 is a great beginnner's bike - I'm not looking for a beginner's bike. From reading the posts on this forum, I get the strong impression most of you are also far from beginners.

So, my question is - will the R3 fit my needs as a second bike or would you recommend something else? I really don't need something too big, but will commute occasionally on it (20 miles) on the interstate so need something that can hold it's own.

Thanks for your insights and advise!

Newguy

·
Registered
90 Posts
The R3 should suit you nicely, I have no qualms running many more miles then that on the freeway at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
R3 was my 5th bike. R25 (even smaller than the R3) was my 6th. Had no problems with either on eb freeway both in SoCal and here in Japan. I have taken it on the freeway, around town, canyons and the track. It's tons of fun on the track and through the canyons. I am 155 fully geared up and it suites me just fine. If you are heavier you may need to respring but the power should still be plenty for short around town runs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I commute 50 miles four times a week on the freeway here in SoCal, 7k-9k rpm is where it's at. Rode stock michelins for 11k, and switched to S20s. Man oh man and I thought it couldn't get any more flickable.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Its my second bike, after 30k miles on an fz8. I'll have 16k on my r3 by the end if the week.

The little r3 does it all for me. I've hit the track, done 1000 mile days (at 80+mph), weekend tours and commute regularly on it. If you can adjust to not having gobs of power on hand, it really is a fun ride.

The downsides to it, particularly coming from a premium bike like the K, are that the stock suspension is a little lacking, brake feel isn't great and the motor needs some revs to get out of its own way. Still a great bike for around town in stock form, but if you plan on putting a bunch of miles on it, you'll likely find yourself upgrading things

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
Around town and 20 miles on the freeway, any of the usual suspects: R3, one of the Honda 500 bikes, Ninja 300 or Versys 300.

R3 will generally haul you up to 100 mph in 5th, but the performance isn't going to rip your arms off. The Honda will be a bit more torquey off the line. The new Versys 300 is sort of unique, but I think it has stock option for panniers and tail carrier (pillion box? I don't know what it's called.)

You got to go sit on all of them! If you're rolling in it, maybe look at the Triumph Street Twin, but don't blame me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would get a used sv650 as an around the town bike. It's better than the r3 and probably cheaper. Also insurance on them is next to free for some reason. my r3 insurance keeps getting higher and higher

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I don't have much to compare my R3 to except the CBR 125 and Ninja 250 which I've ridden in the past. I love the bike and now that I've had more seat time with it, I can't see myself buying anything else really. I mostly ride in town and do the short errands you are talking about. It's absolutely perfect for that. Highway trips are not an issue either for me - and I'm still a bit nervous on the highway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The R3 loves everything I throw at it, and so long as you keep it in its happy gears it may be the perfect motorcycle for most purposes. One thing I noticed a few K into break-in was a useful increase in torque which seems to completely defy its 300ness. Second gear starts are no issue in traffic, and the other day I inadvertantly pulled from a stop in 4th after stopping for a fire truck (the bike was a little annoyed, but I was amazed it got-r-done).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with CMH, i had a fireblade, was concerned about power difference but its a completely different bike. had a 101mph out of mine with some more to go.
the way i see it, its a tractable round town bike, out on the open road wind it up and it is just fun to ride, it loves to be revved, like riding in a wss300 race when your on it. throw it at a corner it just flows, one thing you do have to learn how to run in and out on the throttle and keep the power on.

insurance is pretty low, and its not an overly expensive hobby to have sat in the garage over the cold and wet months, I will be keeping mine now and will just keep modding it up. having a bike you can throw around an not have the weight and raw power to contend with is a relief. dont get me wrong a big bike awesome, but in reality can you use it all safely on the roads today (UK)?....R3 = FUN, GO GET ONE.

I have slightly lower front forks and a riser kit, suggest getting some decent tyres (bridgestone evo's), i will be replacing the front pads with some EBC as the oem are a bit blocky for my liking will poss look a some different hoses as well, done quite a few other mods-Oh please get rid of the hideous licence plate holder!
cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my R3 as a second bike, or my 'around-town toy'. It's great for both commuting and spirited riding.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree with CMH, i had a fireblade, was concerned about power difference but its a completely different bike. had a 101mph out of mine with some more to go.

the way i see it, its a tractable round town bike, out on the open road wind it up and it is just fun to ride, it loves to be revved, like riding in a wss300 race when your on it. throw it at a corner it just flows, one thing you do have to learn how to run in and out on the throttle and keep the power on.

insurance is pretty low, and its not an overly expensive hobby to have sat in the garage over the cold and wet months, I will be keeping mine now and will just keep modding it up. having a bike you can throw around an not have the weight and raw power to contend with is a relief. dont get me wrong a big bike awesome, but in reality can you use it all safely on the roads today (UK)?....R3 = FUN, GO GET ONE.

I have slightly lower front forks and a riser kit, suggest getting some decent tyres (bridgestone evo's), i will be replacing the front pads with some EBC as the oem are a bit blocky for my liking will poss look a some different hoses as well, done quite a few other mods-Oh please get rid of the hideous licence plate holder!

cheers

Where can I get the Moviestar and Monster decal for fairing?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All, thanks much. Been snowing here the last couple days, and I plan to test ride one tomorrow. I looked at it today (flat black) and it's sitting next to a white Ninja. Both look like a heck of a lot of fun, but I have a strong place in my heart for Yamaha. Although my first bike was a 1975 Kawasaki 100. Living on a farm in South Dakota, I think I had all four blinkers broken off within a month but what fun...

Marshy, very nice ...

·
Registered
87 Posts
when i got the R3 the bike was completely destroyed thanks to some local scum taking it from the guys back yard, so all the bits you see apart from the Delkevic end can, tyres, ignition switch,and brake hose are original, the swing arm cover and fork dampers were from KD racing projects, when i was on vacation to Bangkok, the rest ....are selected Chinese items.

So i may get some oohs and aahs, but they all fit and work as they should, the fairing kit , admitted took some fitting but that was mainly down to not having the original to take off and use a a guide, however the forum does give some clues to this. (you can get the seat cowl at the same time so it is colour coded)

If your a bit handy and fancy something different don't be afraid to go Chinese, a lot of people slag it off but this is my 3rd bike i have used these kits and have enabled me to afford to put bikes on the road, which would otherwise have to written off or still be waiting in the garage to be repaired, let alone all the wasted time looking for parts, and they look the biz when done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts