Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some decals to put on my helmet to provide night time visibility. Anyone previously purchased such a thing?

·
Registered
460 Posts
An HID conversion and additional LED spots help you see and be seen. The ultra bright white light color is scientifically proven to be much more startling in the day to keep people from pulling in front of you. All of the new High end cars have ultra bright white front running lights.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
An HID conversion and additional LED spots help you see and be seen. The ultra bright white light color is scientifically proven to be much more startling in the day to keep people from pulling in front of you. All of the new High end cars have ultra bright white front running lights.

That they do, and when they pull up behind you at a stoplight their lights reflecting in your mirrors are blinding.....Throws your vision off for a bit when taking off at the green light, like a camera flash going off right in your eyes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That they do, and when they pull up behind you at a stoplight their lights reflecting in your mirrors are blinding
Stock bikes are woefully under gunned compared to modern car HID and LED headlights. We need more light. Not less.
At least the R3 has the additional yellow lights in the front which can only help. But a single 55 Watt halogen headlight isn't really safe at day or at night on a dark country road.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wear a hi-viz jacket. I have two, mesh in the summer and heavy in the winter. Both have quite a bit of 3M highly reflective piping which light up like a fluorescent light bulb when headlights hit them.

Just pointing out options!:)
Thanks ... already got a jacket but can't have to much gear or accessories

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
290 Posts
It should be noted to anyone who isn't familiar, high viz yellow/color gear effectiveness is for daytime only. They don't do anything at night. If a car is kissing your ass at a stop, then they will see the high vis, but normal following distance at night, high viz yellow will appear nothing more than black except any reflective piping or accents on it.

I found this out myself when I followed my wife at night and all her high vis color was just black as midnight. The only thing I saw were all the reflective panels and pipings.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good point. I have also read studies on high vis that found that the color of the bike has absolutely no difference in the statistical likelyhood of getting hit. The jacket color has a minor signifigance even though when you look at a hivis jacket you think "I stand out on the road like a sore thumb". And a white or hivis helmet seems to have the most statistical effect to keep you safe. Because of the height of the bright object?
Whenever you buy a new helmet, buy it in white and cover it in white reflective stickers. It is more visible and will also be cooler in hot sun.
I bought my helmets used on ebay so they are both black so I added the reflective white graphic film set to improve the day and night conspicuity.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
MACNA Gear

MACNA (a motorcycle gear company in The Netherlands) has a clever light that can be attached to some of their jackets. On steady or flashing. Can be made to fit any brand jacket by having a velcro patch sewn to the back of the jacket. NOTE: This may not be legal in all States/Countries...

If you ride A LOT at night, these are the jackets to buy! All MACNA gear is HIGH END stuff. They also make a Night Eye Vest to wear over your jacket...

Red Automotive lighting Technology Electronic device Font

Red Room Recreation Table Baggage

They also have a highly reflective fabric, called NIGHT EYE, that is available in all of their jackets.

Clothing Jacket White Black Sportswear

Uniform Outerwear Jacket Night

You can buy it through Twistedthrottle.com

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=macna+night+eye

Or from FC MOTO (they usually have the best prices):

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...P&FacetRange_ListPrice=&FacetRange_ListPrice=

·
Registered
155 Posts
IDK if any of ya'll head of lumilor paint but it would be pretty DOPE!
If someone is willing to buy it I would spray and wire it up for free for some left over materials.

http://lumilor.com/
From reading the site i believe the only way you are getting you hands on it is if you get trained up by them to be an applicator or if you have a shop so you can become a distributor other then that you have to send them your parts

1 - 20 of 63 Posts