Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a good ninja 650R rear shock on ebay,

I ordered the spacer kit from yamahar3racing.com (email jesse, he has the part)

Get a breaker bar

After I broke loose the bolts, things went smoothly.

a little higher ride height for sure.

Will have to test at my next track day.

Feels a lot stiffer..

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So I found a good ninja 650R rear shock on ebay,

I ordered the spacer kit from yamahar3racing.com (email jesse, he has the part)

Get a breaker bar

After I broke loose the bolts, things went smoothly.

a little higher ride height for sure.

Will have to test at my next track day.

Feels a lot stiffer..
I've owned 2 650's. That bike weighs a whopping 465 lbs. stiff spring indeed. Even the front is really stiff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've owned 2 650's. That bike weighs a whopping 465 lbs. stiff spring indeed. Even the front is really stiff.
I have 2 ninja 650's now and find them quit soft for me. I am 180lbs. I upgraded the front with 98 ZX6 internals and upper tube and wrote about it on a couple 650 forums. I also did the R1 mod on one of my 650's (and resprung it). My question is if I got the R1 shock to fit on my 650R and people got the 650R to fit on the R3, shouldn't the R1 fit on the R3? assuming there's space for the R1 reservoir.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - I had to lift the tail.

how easy was the install? Im thinking the bike has to be jacked up for this job yeah?
So I had something sturdy in my garage in the ceiling.

I used 2 ratchet straps to raise the bike off the ground. left the front tire on the ground.

they are rated for 400 lb each.

Breaking loose the bolts was a major PIA.
If you can make sure you have the right wrenches, sockets and breaker bar.

No modifications needed on the airbox or battery tray for the ninja 650 shock.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I believe the r1 shoock would need to be re sprung...

how easy was the install? Im thinking the bike has to be jacked up for this job yeah?
I have 2 ninja 650's now and find them quit soft for me. I am 180lbs. I upgraded the front with 98 ZX6 internals and upper tube and wrote about it on a couple 650 forums. I also did the R1 mod on one of my 650's (and resprung it). My question is if I got the R1 shock to fit on my 650R and people got the 650R to fit on the R3, shouldn't the R1 fit on the R3? assuming there's space for the R1 reservoir.
I know i read it on the forums before.
Yes some r1 generation rear shocks can work.
but the spring would have the changed for our purposes, and after that, i think the pricing starts to get over $300+

I think the re sprung part is the key.

And revalving the r1 rear shock to match the spring.
some of the finer points of the discussion here...
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/562-suspension/56553-compatible-shocks.html

here is the discussion see post from kiko
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/562-suspension/131857-after-market-suspension-2.html

Used R1 shock on Ebay $75.00 USD, spring $90, and a machinist to bore the top bushing $20. So for about $175.00 you get a top line shock with compression and rebound adjustments. Something worth looking into,

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So I had something sturdy in my garage in the ceiling.

I used 2 ratchet straps to raise the bike off the ground. left the front tire on the ground.

they are rated for 400 lb each.

Breaking loose the bolts was a major PIA.
If you can make sure you have the right wrenches, sockets and breaker bar.

No modifications needed on the airbox or battery tray for the ninja 650 shock.
i am all for using ratchets to hoist the bike up. If you don't have a garage, a 6' ladder works. I only ever use 1 strap and some rope.

I owned an Ex500 that had bolts that were **** near impossible to break. My newer bikes were a pain but doable. An impact wrench followed by a breaker bar work pretty well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
photos of spacer

Photos of spacer here.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know i read it on the forums before.
Yes some r1 generation rear shocks can work.
but the spring would have the changed for our purposes, and after that, i think the pricing starts to get over $300+

I think the re sprung part is the key.

And revalving the r1 rear shock to match the spring.
some of the finer points of the discussion here...
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/562-suspension/56553-compatible-shocks.html

here is the discussion see post from kiko
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/562-suspension/131857-after-market-suspension-2.html

Used R1 shock on Ebay $75.00 USD, spring $90, and a machinist to bore the top bushing $20. So for about $175.00 you get a top line shock with compression and rebound adjustments. Something worth looking into,
I bought my hypercoil spring for $70 on ebay and changed it myself. It was very cheap. I bought it brand new from their ebay store. I had to respring mine for the 650

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi All,

fitted an Kawasaki ER6, rear shock today, to start off answering one of the questions, yep you need to prop the bike up, I personally put the bike on the paddock stand, put axle stands under the front pegs and lowered it down gently, this leaves the wheel airborne and ready to strip.

side panels need to come off to get the top bolt, access to the bottom bolt is through the swing arm side. the ER6 shock is about 20-30mm longer than the R3 stock, and a bit fatter, so it will be higher when installed, perfect for me. took me a bit longer to do as i have a swing arm cover fitted

The spacers for the bottom of the shock I fabricated myself, from some 22mmx5mm tube, two washers in the top just to prevent any side to side movement.

Anyway once together, took it out ...OMG its like having a different back end attached (in a good way) the shock is set about fourth from the hardest setting and it just rides perfect, a few months ago, here in the UK we had three sunny days(rare) I went to work on the bike, travelling at a good pace hit some uneven road the bike was fish tailing and generally like riding a pogo stick, so this is what prompted the shock change.

So back to today the back end was a lot stiffer not harsh just firm, its hard t explain but its like its supporting the bike over all the highs and lows in the road, what it should be reacting like.you can feel it working!

So, im not saying its great for the track, because i dont know, what i will say it is ideal for the road, and it didn,t cost £400-500 ($500-600) to get a decent handling bike (now) the shock cost me £25.00 ($32.00), and a bit of labour to fit, this really has to ranked as one of the cheapest most effective mods out there.

Next installment is going to be Hyperpro springs and heavier oil along with some EBC front pads...cant wait

**tip.... remember to pump up the rear brake after you refit the wheel, I found out when i was riding Ooops*****

good luck Marshy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi All,

fitted an Kawasaki ER6, rear shock today, to start off answering one of the questions, yep you need to prop the bike up, I personally put the bike on the paddock stand, put axle stands under the front pegs and lowered it down gently, this leaves the wheel airborne and ready to strip.

side panels need to come off to get the top bolt, access to the bottom bolt is through the swing arm side. the ER6 shock is about 20-30mm longer than the R3 stock, and a bit fatter, so it will be higher when installed, perfect for me. took me a bit longer to do as i have a swing arm cover fitted

The spacers for the bottom of the shock I fabricated myself, from some 22mmx5mm tube, two washers in the top just to prevent any side to side movement.

Anyway once together, took it out ...OMG its like having a different back end attached (in a good way) the shock is set about fourth from the hardest setting and it just rides perfect, a few months ago, here in the UK we had three sunny days(rare) I went to work on the bike, travelling at a good pace hit some uneven road the bike was fish tailing and generally like riding a pogo stick, so this is what prompted the shock change.

So back to today the back end was a lot stiffer not harsh just firm, its hard t explain but its like its supporting the bike over all the highs and lows in the road, what it should be reacting like.you can feel it working!

So, im not saying its great for the track, because i dont know, what i will say it is ideal for the road, and it didn,t cost £400-500 ($500-600) to get a decent handling bike (now) the shock cost me £25.00 ($32.00), and a bit of labour to fit, this really has to ranked as one of the cheapest most effective mods out there.

Next installment is going to be Hyperpro springs and heavier oil along with some EBC front pads...cant wait

**tip.... remember to pump up the rear brake after you refit the wheel, I found out when i was riding Ooops*****

good luck Marshy

Very interested in where you bought this shock for £25. Considering doing this upgrade as the stock is terrible. Also I'm based in the U.K... any chance you'd manufacture the appropriate parts that I would also need? I'd happily pay.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Very interested in where you bought this shock for £25. Considering doing this upgrade as the stock is terrible. Also I'm based in the U.K... any chance you'd manufacture the appropriate parts that I would also need? I'd happily pay.
Send Marshy a PM and a wait for his reply. I'm guessing you're in Lancashire and he's in Nottingham, you both should arrange some free-time, an estimate on costs, and get together to get the job done then grab a pub lunch afterwards (give the beers a miss if riding).

Worse thing he could say is "feck off, do it yourself", or he could ask you for an indecent proposal for one night with your sheep and do the job for free :p

Reactions: ApexSpeed

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm in southampton:) but I have dropped him a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see. I was thinking red rose of Lancashire when I saw your username.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts