Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking my bike up in a few days and already starting to shop for goodies.

I'm having a hard time finding accessories in Matte Gray and can only find stuff in Red, Blue and Black.

In particular, I'd like to find a rear seat cowl (or cowl bag). Down the road, I may also want various covers, caps, etc. Whatever I'm looking for right now, I'm having a hard time finding anything in the 2016 Gray.

Anyone know of a source yet?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most of the accessories only came in black and blue when the 2015 first came out, not sure why red got no love. could you just buy a black seat cowl then do a matching wrap yourself? Might be the best solution if you are looking to have the parts in hand asap

·
Registered
346 Posts
Picking my bike up in a few days and already starting to shop for goodies.

I'm having a hard time finding accessories in Matte Gray and can only find stuff in Red, Blue and Black.

In particular, I'd like to find a rear seat cowl (or cowl bag). Down the road, I may also want various covers, caps, etc. Whatever I'm looking for right now, I'm having a hard time finding anything in the 2016 Gray.

Anyone know of a source yet?
Very few people even have their matte gray bikes in hand. I'm sure there will be some aftermarket options over the coming months, but right now you are out of luck.

For little accent piece like caps, etc. you can go with black or red, that would play off the colors in your bike. Otherwise you'll have to just wait or color them yourself somehow (paint, powdercoat, anodizing, etc. )

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a matte gray as well. It basically boils down to the fact that it is a recently launched color and the accessory/aftermarket hasn't caught up yet. Wait a while and you will see the market pick up for the new colors.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I get it. The gray didn't officially become available until March 2016.

One thing I'm fresh out of though is patience.

August of last year, I put a deposit down on a beautiful Honda Snowblower. It didnt come in until December and then, it never snowed!

I put a deposit down on my bike a few weeks back and it hasn't stopped raining since.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah, I get it. The gray didn't officially become available until March 2016.

One thing I'm fresh out of though is patience.

August of last year, I put a deposit down on a beautiful Honda Snowblower. It didnt come in until December and then, it never snowed!

I put a deposit down on my bike a few weeks back and it hasn't stopped raining since.
Lol, you seem to have the same luck as me. Generally, the tried and true colors are silver, black, red, and blue. And occasionally, titanium and gold. I can understand wanting some gray colored accessories, but not everything right? That si unless you're going for the monochromatic look.

I have a black R3. Since the decals were in red, and I am fond of a black with red motif, I was going to get red accessories. I ended up getting some in silver and most in gold. I am a total silver guy-jewelry, car paint color, etc-but the little gold accents on my raven R3 turned out to be pretty sick looking. However, I think it was a matter of degree. I only got certain parts in gold and didn't go oeverboard. It accents parts of the bike rather than scream gold, if you will.

Anyway, I am sure some matte gray matching parts will rear their head. Have you looked at Yamaha genuine accessories? shopyamaha.com They'll probably be one of the first to market with matching parts. In the mean time, adding silver and titanium, and even black parts to your bike would work out extremely well.

As far as a rear cowl. You could buy an OEM cowl, and get it painted. I worked in an auto detailing and auto body shop while I was in junior college before I joiend the Army. I actually like doing auto paint work. I do some automtoive grade painting on some of my stuff like painting laptops with the highest level of quality.

It is a lot of work as you know, but I am sure you could prep the cowl yourself and get a discount on the actual paint job because it can be pricey. All you need is some adhesion promoter, primer, and wet sanding paper. I get supplies from automotive touchup. ****, you could do it yourself. It is matte gray, so you don't dave to do a base coat or mid-layer.

Prep the cowl surface-hopefully unpainted you don't have to strip it.
Clean surface
Spray plastic adhesion promotor
4-5 coats of primer (wet sand with gradually finer grits on each successive coat)
3-4 coats of paint layer
2 coats or clear coat (wet sand, the lightly polish with super fine automotive polish like 3m Finesse-It)

You could have a body shop do the whole thing and they'd probably charge you $400. Or you could do the prep work and have them do the paint and clearcoat layers and charge you like $200. Or simply have them clear coat. I know it's matte gray, so you'll have to experiment with the clear coat. I'd still want to do light clearcoat although I'd aim to match it as much as I could. Autobody shops have downdraft spray booths with controlled environments, and can bake the paint to cure it faster. But as long as you have a nice dry and dust free area that isn't freezing to work in, you're golden.

Here are some link

https://touchupdirect.com offers motorcycle paint in touch up jars, aerosol spray cans, etc and primer/clear coat.

http://www.colorrite.com/ Ditto

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Even if they don't have the paint yet, if you can get the color code, one of these places can match it. Just an idea. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh crap. Disregard. Didn't see that reply of yours listing the matte gray seat cowl. Funnily enough, it was Yamaha who released it first. Did you end up ordering it @AesonVirus?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh crap. Disregard. Didn't see that reply of yours listing the matte gray seat cowl. Funnily enough, it was Yamaha who released it first. Did you end up ordering it @AesonVirus?
Almost clicked the order button but I've been going through an internal battle lately, trying to decide if I'm keeping the bike or going to something else. Until I decide, all mods are on hold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry about your troubles. If you decide to sell I'm looking to buy a Matte Gray. How many miles on it if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Almost clicked the order button but I've been going through an internal battle lately, trying to decide if I'm keeping the bike or going to something else. Until I decide, all mods are on hold.
My recent internal battle was over the 2017 Honda Grom I bought. After just a month I was not sure I wanted an under powered bike in the DFW area. The ideas of hooking up with other riders and terrorizing the sidewalks evaporated as there are not many near me, and with that bike they needed to be NEAR me! The Grom lost and now the R3 is my "toy" flickable, fun bike, but one I can easily do freeways with. Love this bike. I also have a new XSR900 though, and previously had the FZ and FJ, so I have the speed and torque I need readily available....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts