Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can count the number of "clean" fills on one hand. I just can't seem to keep from splashing gas on the tank\fairings. Cleanest have been while the bike is leaning towards the pump but still manage to waste precious juice 90% of the time. Any tips or tricks to stop this wasteful habit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do a couple of shake before removing it out of the tank.
Nozzle doesn't go fully into the tank and been doing "tap tap" dance on cars since the 70s. Fuggg I'm old 😂 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There-in lies the issue. Don't know if we have super-pumps out here but these things are megasquirters even on the lowest setting. There is no "trickle" mode to keep a nice, even flow of gas without splashing while filling up. For me anyway.

* EDIT * I found the unicorn! A nozzle that actually fit the filler opening! I shall guard it with my life 😂 :ROFLMAO: :geek:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Are you saying that you're getting it all over the tank while pumping gas? Don't think I've ever been to a gas station with that high of a pressure. Most of the time it's too slow

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you saying that you're getting it all over the tank while pumping gas? Don't think I've ever been to a gas station with that high of a pressure. Most of the time it's too slow
See my edit above. Been fighting with nozzles that had larger diameters than the filler opening. Good grief.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gently squeeze the handle on the gas pump like you would a gun, VERY GENTLY. you don't need to pull it in all the way, the tank is small and will fill quick. watch the GAL or L filling and stop when you know you've reach 2-3gal or litre equivalent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gently squeeze the handle on the gas pump like you would a gun, VERY GENTLY. you don't need to pull it in all the way, the tank is small and will fill quick. watch the GAL or L filling and stop when you know you've reach 2-3gal or litre equivalent.
The pumps in my area are full-blast even on the slightest squeeze. Found a station with a nozzle that actually fit the tank just like a car. Slipped right in, sealed the tank and squeezed 1 handed.

·
Registered
2020 R3 ABS
24 Posts
See my edit above. Been fighting with nozzles that had larger diameters than the filler opening. Good grief.
Pro tip don't insert the pump all the way in. Just pull back the sleeve to activate the pump and fill up.

Like this
What? I'm confused. Are you talking about gas stations or cans?

Your gas station's nozzles don't fit in the hole in the baffle inside the tank (the one the person in the video is spraying gas through)? I've never been to a gas station where the pump nozzle didn't fit inside that lol. Just insert the nozzle and pump lol.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Your gas station's nozzles don't fit in the hole in the baffle inside the tank (the one the person in the video is spraying gas through)? I've never been to a gas station where the pump nozzle didn't fit inside that lol. Just insert the nozzle and pump lol.
You probably don't live in a state that has the vapor recovery system on the nozzle. Hence not having this problem lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pro tip don't insert the pump all the way in. Just pull back the sleeve to activate the pump and fill up.

Like this
LOL...Fast Eddie...we live in the same area. That is how I was\am filling the tank and this exact video is what I watched after trying several pumps at the gas station up the street from my house. None of the nozzles fit and I was left scratching my head. Like wtf?!?! Are these things defective?
The flow shown here is not nearly as fast as the manic machines I have had the luck of coming across. Eddie got a drop or two on his tank in the vid. I get puddles lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I have found exactly 1 nozzle that fits. All others I have tried won't insert and have to do the two-handed method.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Like this
This. And I don't lean the bike on the bike on the kickstand, I straddle it and keep it upright and watch the fill.
Where are you?

Reactions: enshiu
1 - 14 of 14 Posts