Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to know some thoughts about Yamaha's decision not to include ABS on their North American models, is that something that would deter you from purchasing the R3?

I am a new rider (Have some experience on Dirt Bikes, but it has been years) and having just purchased the R3, I am kind of bummed that they didn't even give us the option to get ABS, its standard in EU & Canada.

I would have gladly paid the extra cost to have it. My question to the more experienced riders is how much of a difference does it really make?

Would it be better to learn techniques of riding, without the aid of these assists, or do you think its a absolute must to have ABS for beginners.

Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have only ever had ABS on one bike, a 2014 Ninja 300, and I never activated it. Although I have been caught in the rain a few times, I never start out on wet roads which is mainly where ABS would help. I did lock up the brakes on a bike once with an emergency stop, when a car stopped in front of me unexpectedly, but I didn't hit it or drop the bike. It won't be a deal breaker for me, but I can't speak for anyone else. For new riders, I think a slipper clutch might be as important if not more so, but the r3 does have a gear indicator which is helpful. New riders can forget what gear they are in and accidently drop down into 1st gear (but think they are dropping down to 3rd gear) going 25 mph and let the clutch out, which is the equivalent of slamming on the rear brake. The Ninja 300 has no gear indicator, but it does have a slipper clutch that comes standard which would allow you to keep control when it eased the bike into 1st gear for you in this situation. If you did that on the r3 or many bikes without a slipper clutch, the rear wheel would lock up and kick out to the side possibly causing you to crash.

If I were a new rider, I would go with the Ninja 300 with ABS. A slipper clutch and ABS are two safety items not present on the r3. The Ninja 300 is also a fantastic bike. I've already had a 2013 and a 2014 Ninja 300 though, so I'm going for the r3. Plus I've been riding many years, so I know how to ride.

·
Registered
391 Posts
they say you can never learn to exploit the full benefits of ABS without understanding how to make do without ABS... also, and this is slight conjecture, I feel that the bring on of complex ABS systems is causing the art of trail braking to fall by the wayside...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Although the Canadian site doesn't list it, if it's not available, i think there's a good chance it might eventually be. Dealers might have an answer on availabilty, maybe even Yamaha might answer to this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think It will be a option soon. personally not a issue for me I have never had it but I'm not opposed to it.
It is a good option for beginners if I had it I would want to be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Pretty sure an option or 2nd gen would have ABS. Definitely needed and no need to explain further with all the studies out there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not a deal breaker but I do think it is a mistake. I just feel safer knowing that my bike has ABS. I always would choose the ABS option.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The reason Yamaha would avoid abs is additional cost, weight, and possible problems with it. ABS seems to be one of the most frequent reasons for recalls....that and the ECU. The Ninja 300 has recalls on both.

As I recall the first specs out on the r3 mentioned no ABS for the US, but that Canada would have it. Apparently that is no longer the case. I agree, it will be an option next year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think it would be nice for new riders. If you get in a panic stop situation and have not practiced panic stops until they are second nature you may get something locked up which can lead to problems. I saw a demo of the BMW system at a motorcycle show in SF back in 1985. One bike with abs one without but it had outriggers, wet surface, instant crash without abs, uneventful stop with abs. Saw another demo at BMW NA headquarters during an open house in around 2002 or so, the rider rode a the bike (large 1200 Touring mount) at the side of the building with water and straw. It looked like a bad idea to me but it stopped a few feet short of the building.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hopefully the R3 wont have abs here but it sadly looks like it will.
(169kg in the specs vs the R25's 163kg),
All that weight, complexity, expense, potential problems and junk to make the bike perform worse for no gain

I prefer my right hand operates the front brake pads without interruption.
Those that want it should have to pay $500 more like Honda and Kawasaki do which is the best solution.

More of a facepalm than a dealbreaker as I want the R3.
The RC390 is stuck with abs too.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's not a Ninja 300.... It's a good learning experience without ABS but good to have them incase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's not a Ninja 300.... It's a good learning experience without ABS but good to have them incase.
You can't really learn good habits in braking, when your ABS is kicking in each time you make a mistake.
ABS is nice to have for experienced riders, who know the basics already.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Abs is not good for the tracks.
but it is helpful for beginners.
I almost dropped my Suzuki Burgman clone on a rainy day,
pulled out from a small 1-way intersection with poor visibility due to parked vehicles onto a main road. Saw a car approaching at high speed, had to stop quickly or would be hit.
I was in a turn, on a rainy day, trying to brake, when the front wheel locked up.
ABS was triggered 3x, saved my day, and taught me to be careful on a slippery, rainy road, trying to brake while in a turn.

It saved me some bruises, my jeans, and scratches on the fender.
At less than 20mph, the damage would be minimal, but it would make a big difference in resale value of the bike!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here...

For me personally, not having ABS available for this class of bike does not sway me away from purchasing one. I think it would have been better if Yamaha gave the option for it from a marketing stand point though.

I think it just comes down to each of us educating ourselves as best we can and taking into account each of our individual experience levels, what we plan on doing with the bike, and our individual risk tolerance levels.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts