Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have ridden for about 4 years. I started on a 2017 Buddy Eclipse 125 to learn and get my endorsement with, then bought a 2020 Kawasaki Z125, which is by far my main ride since I brought it home. I also own a 1986 Honda Helix scooter that was just too good to pass on; 1700 original miles, perfect shape, and the price was perfect.

I lurked this forum for a month or so after I became interested in the R3. It’s a beautiful bike for its class and I think it would be a great logical step up from the Z (which I plan on also keeping... it’s just too fun). Always wanted a ”Sport Bike” and being a little on the smaller stature end of things makes me think The R3 would be close enough to perfect for me.

By joining this forum I hope to gain information about the R3. My first question is.. would it be a logical step up from the Z? Mainly city riding but with just enough power to get on the highway for a few miles (albeit in the slow lane) if I have to. Love what I’ve seen about the R3, and the matte black just screams “BUY ME!!!”

Would love to chat with R3 owners to hear first-hand experiences with these bikes. So... let’s chat!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The bike is definitely a step up from a 125 and will have more useable power. Just don't be overconfident and learn the bike before going ham on it. It might be 'just a 300' but you can still get hurt if you're not careful. I broke my collarbone like this on a 150cc bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,336 Posts
Hey there, welcome to the forum! I think it's a very logical step to go from a 125 to a 300. I started my journey by taking a safety course and was riding a CBR125. From there, I had a friend let me try his Ninja 250. Then I bought my R3. Each step brought a new appreciation for the extra hp and torque. It's all about wrist control - getting to know what the bike can do. I will say that the R3 is plenty fast (for me) and has more than enough get up and go. There are lots of faster and more powerful bikes, but unless you're going to track your bike, there really isn't anything you can do on an R3 that you can't do on a bigger / faster bike.

The main difference you'll notice is the weight of the bike. Smaller bikes are obviously much lighter. The R3 will be a bit heavier when standing still. So get used to moving it around. Try sitting on one at a dealer first maybe to get a feel for it that way.

Good luck, hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts