Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I haven't come across an install video

Reviews on those are hit or miss. They don't offer too much protection if the bike falls over, they attach directly to the fairing (and require a hole be drilled) and they're just hollow plastic

There's better options out there for around the same price.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I didnt find any vidoes when installed them. If you follow the instructions, they are more than enough. All you need to do is remove the fairings and used a drill or plastic reamer. There is an X where the holes need to go.

I dont think theyll do much, but i still bought them anyway. I liked how they looked compared to other sliders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt find any vidoes when installed them. If you follow the instructions, they are more than enough. All you need to do is remove the fairings and used a drill or plastic reamer. There is an X where the holes need to go.

I dont think theyll do much, but i still bought them anyway. I liked how they looked compared to other sliders.

I purchased them for the unique look also , I just wanted some basic protection in case I lapsed in judgement one day and forget to put the kickstand down. Anyway , as far as those holes go , I'm not seeing any X's on the right faring , I haven't checked the left yet but I'm guessing they should be present on both. My main concern is drilling the correct spot , can you provide some insight where exactly those X's are? The diagram isn't to " pinpoint " , especially when you can't even locate the X's.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When was ur bike made. Mines from 1/15. Newer ones may not have have the X.

If the fairings are still off, can u post a picture? The X isnt huge or very noticeable. Its just a slightly raised molding in the inside if the fairing.

One X will be about 3 inches below the yamaha sticker. The other will be on the black piece in front of the blinker. It should be in line with the other X

Not sure if itll help, but heres an up close shot

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i managed to locate them after taking off the original faring , seems like they weren't present on the replacement which might make your conclusion of them not being on the newer bikes. Anyway , should be good from here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Guys - just wondering if these secure solidly? They look like they protrude a bit from the fairing - do they vibrate, buzz, or move around at highway speed?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I haven't noticed any problems with them. I don't feel any vibrations or wobble. When i installed them, i made sure everything was tight, but not so tight it would crack the fairing.

Ive only had them installed for 200 miles though, so nothing long term.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you don't hit the track you don't need sliders. People put them on because it looks "trick." So instead of worrying about your sliders vibrating on the highway, just don't put them on. But it is your bike, so I won't hate. Buuuut, if I were you I'd spend my coin on something else, like stainless steel brake lines. ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Guys - just wondering if these secure solidly? They look like they protrude a bit from the fairing - do they vibrate, buzz, or move around at highway speed?
my bike came with these already installed, 8 months and 600 miles later I can report no buzzing, wobbling or loosening. I think these may offer a little (very little) protection at low speed slide or bike tipping over in parking lot. But, don't kid yourself, these are in no way the equivalent to the sliders TST, Graves or even "no-cut" Shogun sliders.

BTW, it's a well known fact that the red/white R3s are the fastest

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you don't hit the track you don't need sliders. People put them on because it looks "trick." So instead of worrying about your sliders vibrating on the highway, just don't put them on. But it is your bike, so I won't hate. Buuuut, if I were you I'd spend my coin on something else, like stainless steel brake lines. ;)

I would disagree with this. You'll find that most racers do not use frame sliders. I would only recommend them for newer riders that are more likely to have a low speed crash or stationary drop. I have seen plenty of frame sliders do more damage than they've saved

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had them on my bike for about 2300 miles. It was one of the first things I added. Never had any problems with the mounts loosening up.

As for protection: they actually do a very good job. I dropped the bike on the right side, from a stand still, and the fairing didn't take any damage at all. I also managed to low side at ~25 mph on the left side. The only damage to the fairing was at the top near the headlight assembly where some material was ground off; the rear fairing also took some damage in the same manner. Sliders aren't magic anti-gravity devices; another part of the bike will always be in contact with the road if you go down.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Keep in mind with frame sliders: They are intended to keep the frame from getting damaged, not the fairings. The best frame sliders are the shorter ones that don't reach out so far. They offer less fairing protection, but are safer for the frame which is the real purpose.

I have a full set on my S1000RR. Frame, bar end, fork, and spools. As expensive as fairings are on the bike, if I go down I'm probably going to be replacing them anyways. What I care about is keeping my expensive, and vital pieces safe.

The problem with long frame sliders is they become a safety hazard if the bike goes off track and can grab and cause the bike to start flipping.

So my .02 on the OE frame sliders? They don't do much to protect the frame, but they do a little bit to protect the fairings without protruding in such a dangerous way. Yes, they will sheer quickly in the event of a wreck but that would be their job. But, on the R3, OE fairings are so cheap anyways you might spend more on crash protection than you would on replacement parts in the event a wreck happened.

·
Registered
139 Posts
...just don't put them on. But it is your bike, so I won't hate. Buuuut, if I were you I'd spend my coin on something else, like stainless steel brake lines. ;)
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie - I simply like the look of them. My "plan" is to never drop it anyway. And were I to take it to the track, these wouldn't be the sliders I'd be shopping for.
And besides, the stainless steel brake lines were done a long time ago ;), along with other more usable mods (R6 throttle tube, for instance) - this is simply personalisation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OEM frame sliders Installer Guide

i bought the frame sliders for my R3 but turns out i couldnt find the installer guide or a video online anywhere on how to install it. I ended up going back to my dealership and asking them for the instructions on how to do it. Uploaded here for anyone else who wants to install them. :D

Also when installing, look very careful for the "X" cause its pretty small and faint on where you have to drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had them on my bike for about 2300 miles. It was one of the first things I added. Never had any problems with the mounts loosening up.

As for protection: they actually do a very good job. I dropped the bike on the right side, from a stand still, and the fairing didn't take any damage at all. I also managed to low side at ~25 mph on the left side. The only damage to the fairing was at the top near the headlight assembly where some material was ground off; the rear fairing also took some damage in the same manner. Sliders aren't magic anti-gravity devices; another part of the bike will always be in contact with the road if you go down.
Good to hear these actually work, I just assumed they wouldn't because they looked flimsy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts