Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a thread discussing this at all. My 2018 R3's factory headers have a lot of surface rust after only around 8 months of riding. In New Zealand our roads aren't salted in winter as it doesn't get cold enough, the roads I ride on don't have stones or gravel to chip them, and my bike is stored in a dry garage. I've also only ridden in the rain a couple of times. There's not a single spec of rust anywhere else on my bike.

I also bought a brand new unused OEM exhaust off someone who had taken theirs off to replace with a full exhaust. This exhaust has been sitting in a dry cupboard for a few months and now even this is getting rust (albeit not too much). I've attached an image of the brand new exhaust and will post some pics of the headers that are on my bike when I can.

Is this a common issue with R3's, or R3's with a certain manufacture date? Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Odd. I have had mine sitting outside exposed to the elements (sun and some rain) for over a year after putting on a full system and surprised it looks the same. Came off my 2015.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Time to upgrade your exhaust...it’s a sign !
And no rust on my oem exhaust. And we do have salt, rocks, rain and snow.. However only had it on for a couple months.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Steel rusts. If it's an issue paint them or go aftermarket. It's going to be a very long time before the rust becomes an issue so I don't really care about mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
These are the original headers off my 1988 Honda Bros after nothing more than a polish.

The R3 is built cheap and made of crappy materials. Unlike 80's Honda's, which were built to last.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
These are the original headers off my 1988 Honda Bros after nothing more than a polish.

The R3 is built cheap and made of crappy materials. Unlike 80's Honda's, which were built to last.
Yes, everything was better back in the day, but let's stick to comparing apples to apples. Here's a photo of a cbr300 header. Basically the same as the R3.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I've managed to finally take some photos of the rust. I don't think I can justify using this as an excuse to install a new/full exhaust on a 321cc motorbike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I thought. Considering the optimal conditions of our roads and the age of the bike. Perhaps it's only a certain 'batch' of R3's that have this issue, much like some of the recalls they have had?

·
Registered
40 Posts

NZ might have more humid salty air than I can equate with from the southern California desert, but I'm also near the salty pacific ocean for what it's worth. This is my '16 R3, dirty and looks like I need to track down a missing screw, but it has no where near the levels of rust that you have. Your's just crazy, like it was never painted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

NZ might have more humid salty air than I can equate with from the southern California desert, but I'm also near the salty pacific ocean for what it's worth. This is my '16 R3, dirty and looks like I need to track down a missing screw, but it has no where near the levels of rust that you have. Your's just crazy, like it was never painted.

Wow the difference between yours and mine is crazy.. I'll put it down to being from a bad batch of headers. I might try give it a polish up when I have some free time and will post the results.

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
I'm not sure you can blame poor paint/treatment on this amount of rust. The bolts and nuts, flanges, along with header pipes are hugely rusted. This looks more like something being sprayed up off the road to collect, and damage the area, before being flushed away. You may try using some sort of rust loosening aerosol spray, then flushing off with water. Hopefully, you'll find the damage is no deeper than surface, and something you can live with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts