Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[[[ EDIT: This started out as a question, but I'm turning it into just briefly sharing what I've done / am doing. I bought new tires for my R3, and I want to make sure they are properly balanced. I don't like adhesive wheel weights, so I opted for the (WAY) more expensive, OEM Yamaha clip-on style weights.

These will be hammered on to the center rail (aka rib) of each wheel as needed to zero them out on a balancer.

I bought six each of three different size weights (30 gram, 20 gram, and 10 gram) -- the three different listings of #7 in the parts schematic linked below. These weights are interchangeable between the front and rear rims (they will work for both). I'm sure this will be more than enough to balance any set of wheels/tires (if not, something is seriously wrong LOL!). I figure I will just keep a stock of six of each on hand at all times -- ordering replacements as needed when I use them to balance new tires. I am guessing I will only need an average of about 2 weights for each wheel, each time. ]]]

2019 Yamaha YZFR3 (YZFR3KB) Front Wheel | Yamaha Parts Pro

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the stick-on weights? I'm only asking because I mount & balance quite a few tires on my track bikes, as well as for friends. I actually prefer the stick-on type, as they are one-size-fits-all, and you don't scratch the wheel when adding/removing them. If you ever have to remove the old weight, you can scrape the old one off with a plastic scraper, then use a heat gun, and some rubbing alcohol to get the residue off the wheel. You won't wreck the paint that way. I've personally found, if you orient the tire properly (yellow dot by the valve stem), most modern sport bike tires are nearly perfectly balanced. Most OEM wheels are NOT very well balanced (even without a tire on them). I totally respect your opinion on the non-stick on weights- I'm just trying to understand why? Is it an appearance thing, or did you have a bad experience with one of the stick-on weights in the past? Once again, NOT at all trying to start an argument :cool:-

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the stick-on weights? I'm only asking because I mount & balance quite a few tires on my track bikes, as well as for friends. I actually prefer the stick-on type, as they are one-size-fits-all, and you don't scratch the wheel when adding/removing them. If you ever have to remove the old weight, you can scrape the old one off with a plastic scraper, then use a heat gun, and some rubbing alcohol to get the residue off the wheel. You won't wreck the paint that way. I've personally found, if you orient the tire properly (yellow dot by the valve stem), most modern sport bike tires are nearly perfectly balanced. Most OEM wheels are NOT very well balanced (even without a tire on them). I totally respect your opinion on the non-stick on weights- I'm just trying to understand why? Is it an appearance thing, or did you have a bad experience with one of the stick-on weights in the past? Once again, NOT at all trying to start an argument :cool:-
Haha no worries cornerslider, I got you.

Well there are a couple of reasons I don't like the adhesive weights: first, I have had them fail on dirt bikes for obvious reasons (I know, the R3 isn't a dirt bike, but still, LOL) -- second, well, this one is kind of hard to explain; even if technically the adhesive is secure enough and they work fine and all that, I guess I just don't like the idea of it, instead preferring the mechanical connection of the clip-style version (assuming of course that the clips properly fit the rail and that they are installed properly and not used if bent/damaged...).

Basically, to sum up my perspective, even though from a technical standpoint, I understand that, realistically, the vast majority of the time, the adhesive weights are going to be just fine, I just don't ultimately trust them as much. And beyond that, I could say that there is some kind of x-factor of general dislike that I can't even put my own finger on...

Even on a street bike, it's still technically possible that at some point, I could get some mud, snow, yada yada...onto the wheel, and this could start to break down the bond holding the weights on, causing them to eventually fail.

And I just don't like the idea of sticky crap being stuck on my wheels (even if it can be removed with some effort); somehow, that just doesn't sit right with me LOL!

Kind of a hard question (for me) to answer well but that's my best attempt LOL :)

Sorry for my meandering thoughts (sometimes, they get out of hand...) ;-)

EDIT: now that I'm thinking about it more, actually, I think I would also prefer clip-type weights if/when I decide to do my own balancing (which I probably will at some point when I feel like buying a balancer): they will be faster and easier to work with (IMO -- though some will disagree) compared to sticky weights, not having to be cleaned up and all that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts