Yamaha R3 Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
In cooperation with an establish Dealer and Service Center here in the USA, I've been authorized to sell this shock. Yes, it's the same unit people are buying that's made in Thailand.

Spring will be matched to your weight but no other internal customizations except by special request and additional cost. However you can take it to any Ohlins technician to have it customized to your liking if OE just isn't working for you.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/825-forks-matt/86834-ohlins-ya467-650-conus.html

The JRi Double from Spears Racing is the better product (extensive R&D, race track testing, lengthened for chassis balance, etc.) for ~200 more but if you just gotta have "the Yellow", at least you don't have to gray-market import it from Thailand or wait nervously for weeks in hopes of an overseas fulfillment.

783 Posts
I bought one of the Ohlins shocks and sent it to Dan Anderson at Traxxion Dynamics to test (all of my suspension testing and tuning is done by Traxxion and final assembly and testing of each Penske is also done by Traxxion). The spring is SUPER soft (970lb) compared to what I spec on the Penske for racing, and thus, the compression valving on the Ohlins has to be very stiff to make up the difference. They also only make 1 spring rate, so every person who buys an Ohlins shock for the R3 gets the same spring. This is how you get a "high performance" shock like the Ohlins for $700 or less. However, the rebounding valving is very light, too light to install a stiffer spring without changing the valving... So my conclusion on the Ohlins is that it's built as a street rider replacement, not a race shock. It also doesn't have as much length adjustment from stock to lengthen it as much as I spec the Penske or Spears specs his JRI. It will work just fine for street riders from about 120-200 lbs, and it will work fine until you try to push it. The only racer I've seen doing well with it weighs 110 lbs, which matches the spring pretty close, so he can open up the compression valving and it works. A friend of mine races a Graves bike with the Ohlins shock and 970lb spring and he weighs around 185. The compression valving is so stiff the shock feels rock hard, much stiffer than my Penske, even with my 1200 lb spring. Another guy I know has been racing the Ohlins, also at 185 and he's tearing through rear tires almost every race. He's now sending the shock in to Traxxion to revalve and respring to match a Penske.

If you're a street rider, the Ohlins is a fine upgrade that looks really nice and comes with a nice bracket to mount the remove reservoir. If you're a racer on a budget, get one of my race spec rebuilt R6 shocks, which is built and valved to match a Penske as close as possible, or spend the money on one of my spec. Penskes or a Spears JRI.

Jesse

· Registered
72 Posts

For 20 + Year, we have always ridden with Ohlins. Everybike.

But........... on our R3, we recommend the JRI.

Hands down huge upgrade.

Custom Built to your spec, anyway you want it.
CNC Billet Shock head, and super low stiction shaft.

It's a dream to ride on.

Just something to consider if you are not happy with your Current shock.

JRI is literally right around the corner from our shop, so we can usually get them custom built and shipped within 24-48 hrs.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_MKfB6qds

So Hard Racing would suggest the JRI or Penske over the Ohlins for racing?
I emailed you guys recently. I am building an R3 to race and asked about somethings. The person on the other end of the email mentioned the way to go would be all Ohlins.
I am always trying to research and find out the best place to spend the little money I have to spend and benefit the most. Not trying to stir things up, I just want to be sure to get the best product for the money spent. I always appreciate forum vendors and have bought a bit of product from yall for other bikes in the recent past. Thanks for any further information you can provide.

· Registered
349 Posts

Between those 3 shocks, is like deciding, should I get a Lamborghini or Ferrari, or Porsche.

They are all top quality high end suspension.

You can ask 100 people and get 100 opinions.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

Our Personal R3, has a JRI on it. That's what we went with.

It really comes down to your personal preference and your budget.

· Registered
732 Posts
Ok, thanks for the reply. I was reading elsewhere on this forum about the seemingly limited travel on the Ohlins compared to the JRI and Penske. So I wanted to ask. :)

If you're commuting or on the street, I'd say the Ohlins is fine and a huge upgrade over stock. I personally have an Ohlins. When you remove the stock rear shock, you'll see the difference. If you're doing some track days, racing or have to get the best, then the JRI is the way to go. Like @HardRacing said, you'll get a multitude of opinions. Also, @jblueooth's store yamahar3racing.com has a modified R6 shock for sale that fits the R3 with a slight modification-it's cheaper than both so that's another option if you're a street rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
72 Posts
Im using it for Track and Racing. Still considering the modified R6 rear shock though as well as relocation plates for OEM rearsets from YamahaR3Racing.com affording parts for the build this time of year is a little more difficult. heh.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.