Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing this shock in the next day or so. For those guys that have already done it I have a couple of questions:

1. Any installation tips you might be able to share like torques, etc?
2. Did you make any changes to the standard configuration besides sag, ie: ride height, damping settings, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Pretty easy - remove the plastic guard behind shock - two bolts. Remove and replace shock, remove left passenger peg to mount remote reservoir bracket. Replace plastic guard - that's about it. Initial suggested compression/rebound settings included with shock (14/12 if I recall).

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's the nice thing about this bike with no rear shock linkage. Super easy to remove/install the shock. I have the JRI shock, you can even adjust rebound while seated!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty easy - remove the plastic guard behind shock - two bolts. Remove and replace shock, remove left passenger peg to mount remote reservoir bracket. Replace plastic guard - that's about it. Initial suggested compression/rebound settings included with shock (14/12 if I recall).
Did you mess with ride height at all or just left it the way it came?

Marc

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I won't be able to dial it in until next Friday at the track. Just set initial sag, although as-delivered it was pretty close. You can increase height slightly, but not really reduce it, so not sure if I'll change that until I get the damping dialed in (one change at a time).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The torque for the upper and lower shock bolts should be 41 lbs. Can anyone with a shop manual confirm? The top mounting bolt on mine was installed with red locktite, the permanent variety :) You can either muscle it loose or just heat the nut up to soften the loctite and it comes off with much less effort. The bottom one had no thread locker at all. I checked both the clickers right out of the box and rebound was off by two clicks. That's not the first time I've seen that on a new Ohlins. Always best to check it. I also noticed that the hydraulic line presses against the sharp edge of the reservoir mount. Just to be safe I put a piece of hose around it right at that spot so it won't abrade it. Its raining so I haven't tried it out yet. Ohlins usually take 200 miles or so to loosen up so I'll try to get that done tomorrow.

Sure is purty!

Marc

·
Registered
717 Posts
The torque for the upper and lower shock bolts should be 41 lbs. Can anyone with a shop manual confirm? The top mounting bolt on mine was installed with red locktite, the permanent variety :) You can either muscle it loose or just heat the nut up to soften the loctite and it comes off with much less effort. The bottom one had no thread locker at all. I checked both the clickers right out of the box and rebound was off by two clicks. That's not the first time I've seen that on a new Ohlins. Always best to check it. I also noticed that the hydraulic line presses against the sharp edge of the reservoir mount. Just to be safe I put a piece of hose around it right at that spot so it won't abrade it. Its raining so I haven't tried it out yet. Ohlins usually take 200 miles or so to loosen up so I'll try to get that done tomorrow.

Sure is purty!

Marc
42 lbs/ft (58 Nm/ 5.8 m-kgf) upper and 42 lbs/ft lower, per the manual. They don't specify any thread locking agent either.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thread locking agent is optional and I advocate against. These bolts don't go anywhere, are in sheer to boot. A dozen bikes and 250K miles and never has one of these even hinted at loosening. The torque values are also "irrelevant", decently tight (>25ft/lb) is fine but of course following the manual's spec is a perfectly fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
42 lbs/ft (58 Nm/ 5.8 m-kgf) upper and 42 lbs/ft lower, per the manual. They don't specify any thread locking agent either.
Ok, thank you! At least I was close. Since the upper was red loctited I did both of them in blue. Can't hurt. Put 100 miles on it today and its already loosening up. The stock settings were a bit stiffer than I was looking for so I opened the compression by 3 clicks to 15 and the rebound by 3 clicks to 17. Pretty plush and controlled but I'll keep playing with it. The stock pogo effect is officially history! You can reach the compression while sitting on the bike but the rebound necessitates getting your left hand in there palm up. Pretty tight for my fat hands.

Marc

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanx for the pix, Marc. Lookin good. Keep us posted on your break in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe I missed it, this is the shock from KD? Wondered if spring rate ok for big American riders, 180 lb.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
That looks nice, I really like that bracket they included to mount the canister, I'm definitely stealing that idea to mount my Penske :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts