Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Oil Change Indicator Schedule

34K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Hpintojr 
#1 ·
Looking at the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual, it just says to change oil first at 600 miles and then "When the oil change indicator flashes." I did the first break-in oil change at 580 miles with AMSoil 10w-40 full synthetic and reset the oil trip counter before any kind of indicator went off. I have been reading mostly that people go until the 4,000 mile service to get the 2nd oil change done.

I have been riding the bike pretty hard lately with a decent amount of highway riding and decided to go ahead and change the oil at 3,000 miles. Just over 2,400 since the first change. The oil condition was pretty dark and a lot more dirty than i would have liked to see. I can't imagine running that oil for another 1k miles on a new motor. Also, it recommends to change the oil filter only every other oil change? Why would that be?

Does anyone know the interval at which the indicator comes on? Every 3k miles or does it go by engine on time?

Either way just a heads up to others, get that 2nd oil change done early.

#3 · (Edited)
You're right about both. The owners manual says oil change indicator will flash on at 600m(1000km) ,then every 3000m (5000km) after the first oil change and the indicator is reset. The oil filter is listed separately as 600m(1000km) then every 6000m(10000km) OR 12 months, 24 months, ETC...:nerd: GO FIGURE. Looking at it that way, the oil filter change is once a year after the 1st oil change. I could make a case that Yamaha expects you to change the oil every 12 months also. Again, an either miles or time argument. But the service manual says to change the oil when the oil indicator light flashes. And the oil filter every 12 months. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys. I've never heard anyone changing oil without doing the filter. Don't understand why the manual suggests this, especially when they are selling filters...

I plan on doing mine again before I put her up for the winter. Will probably do it after another 2,500 miles and see how it looks.

#6 · (Edited)
I can't say I've ever heard of anyone changing oil without the filter either. Although, as good as the oils are now, I could make an argument to spin on a new filter between oil changes. I use Yamaha's oil filter and oil, not because they're cheaper or better than another brand, but because they are (IMO) as cheap and as good as another brand. And that's good with me. At my age, I really don't need to worry over such things. I've got much more important things to worry about.. Like remembering where I put my motorcycle keys yesterday when I finished riding. ::)

#7 ·
I used mineral oil the first 5,000miles and changed the oil and filter ever 1,000 after the first 600miles.

Now! After the first 5k I only use full synthetic and change out every 2,000miles. I have a quick shifter and once the oil degrades. I can feel the difference in the shift. Not as smooth as it can be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.