Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Oil filters that do NOT work with the R3

22K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  enshiu 
#1 ·
I thought I would start this thread considering I'm out the money to buy the filter that shows as a cross reference but it doesn't fit.

Wix 51365 is a direct cross reference to the KN204. However, when I screwed the Wix filter on I noticed it like stopped very suddenly. I tightened it good and started the bike. Within a second I had oil all over the carport. I shut the engine down and retightened. A second start and I had more oil.

I'm not sure why but that filter does not fit this bike properly. I noticed when I put the OEM filter back on, it tighted like it was tightening against the Oring around the oil filter, the Wix tightened like it hit a wall. So I think perhaps it bottomed out on the inside threads before it seated correctly against the engine.

Whatever the reason, do NOT use the Wix 51365 with the R3!!!

#2 ·
I ordered genuine Yamaha filters off Amazon back in early May; I put the filter stock number (from the actual filter) in a Google search and found it all over the place for cheap. Why would you want to use a different filter?

#5 ·
Yep, and to be clear this is not saying Wix is a bad filter. Not at all, it's one of the best. But it just doesn't fit this particular bike.

I mean I'm a licensed airplane mechanic so its not like I don't know what I'm doing. In 20 years of changing my own oil, I've never had a filter tighten like that one did. Screw it on and it hit a wall. Usually they go on by hand and then get progressively tighter and tighter as the o ring seats. This one screwed on by hand and then STOPPED. I was like hmm ok whatever. My mechanic intutition told me something was not right but I didn't listen to the little voice in my head. Oh well, I ordered some Mobil 1 filters that will be in next week.

#7 · (Edited)
A 12 month warranty? They must not trust it very much. Some cars come with 100,000 mile 10 year warranties.

You can run a Fram for 12 months. If your goal is simply to make it to the end of the warranty period you aren't aiming very high.

I've been running Wix filters on my scooter since 07. It currently has 25,500 miles and purrs like a kitten. It's 9 years old.

#9 · (Edited)
One billion filters don't work on the R3, We know one does.

The one on my bike from new was Yamaha-Denso;
1WD-E3440-00
my genuine replacements from Yamaha Au;
5GH-13440-50

Use the second number and you cant go wrong, it fits many Yamaha Models from R6's to YFM Farm bikes.

Cross reference chart here-
http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/YAMAHA/5GH-13440-50-00

But use it at your peril all to save a dollar and lunch an engine.

Genuine Yamaha parts are expensive, because they are the best.

#10 · (Edited)
Uh you do realize Yamaha doesn't make their own filters, right?

And they are expensive because they are labeled Yamaha. Just like anything labeled "marine" is 4 times as much even though it's identical to non-marine versions. It's smart marketing on their part, for fools who buy their products simply because of the label. Like Yamalube, WTF is that? It's Pennzoil in a Yamalube bottle and 3 times the price. And whats funny is there are fools out there who will buy it.

For the rest of us, we'd rather see scientific proof of which oil and filter is better. And there just happens to be some out there, if you're willing to look.

From your own website, the same one I used, look what it cross references to, a WIX 51365 WHICH DOES NOT FIT THIS BIKE.

That is the entire purpose of me creating this thread. I seriously doubt I found the ONLY filter in that list that does not fit our bike, yet cross references to it.

#11 ·
Confirmed Oil filters ON THE LIST that should work THAT DO NOT

The WIX 51356 DOES NOT WORK ON THE R3

IT DOES NOT SEAL ALL THE WAY

YOU WILL RUIN YOUR MOTORCYCLE

IT WAS ON THE LIST

YOU WILL NOT KNOW TIL YOU ARE GOING DOWN THE ROAD AND ALL YOUR OIL COMES OUT

The 51358 works fine.

It was my first oil filter change so I had no idea what was supposed to even happen.

I dont know how to get this information out the correct way. Please sticky this or do whatever you have to to get this information out the best way.

#12 ·
How does it ruin the motorcycle? Saying it doesnt fit and saying it will ruin your bike are two different things. There are plenty of reports (I have personal experience) of bikes dumping their oil either through the drain plug or filter with no ill effects on the bike. Personally if a bike dumps oil, I would be more worried about sliding and crashing than I would "ruining" the bike.

#13 ·
Just use either factory or either of the two K&N filters (long or short, standard for Yamahas). The oil filter nipple (what the filter screws on to) is a bit longer on the Yamaha than some filters are threaded, thus filter does not seat fully and amazingly leaks.

Post in all caps are considered "yelling" - don't do that please.

The issue with this particular WIX filter has already been identified: http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/530-oil-lube/23289-oil-filters-do-not-work-r3.html

Also: http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-...yamaha-r3-faq-how-mega-thread-read-first.html

Thread merged

#14 · (Edited)
So, I was following the decision by CMRA to ban any aftermarket oil filters after some recent crashes due to filter failures (the most recent being Kyle Wyman at COTA last weekend).

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/cvma-banning-all-aftermarket-oil-filters/

After checking the WIX fitment there are a couple of interesting findings:

Fitment for 51356: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartApplications.aspx?Part=51356
Fitment for 51365: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartApplications.aspx?Part=51365

It seems neither are recommended for any Yamaha, including the R3

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
#15 · (Edited)
Does the pervasive Fram Synthetic 7317 fit the R3? It fits the FZ6R, and I see the Wix filters here listed on the Yamaha Z6R site, so I'm thinking possibly the 7317 also works. Do we have a corresponding thread that lists oil filters confirmed to fit properly?

Yes, the one Wix filter I have, the inside nut sticks out convex, inside of being concave like the Fram Synthetic filters. I don't think the Wix filter would have tightened down properly on my FZ6R either

#16 ·
The R3 uses same oil filter as an Infiniti.
If you want the short (same as stock) filter look up 2004 Infiniti G35 as an example, the Mobil 1 version is an M1-108. For the longer filter use 2004 Infinity G45 that yields a Mobil 1 M1-110. Both filters are the same diameter and thread size.

#17 · (Edited)
A word of caution - just because it is the same size and threading (ie; it fits) does not mean it is applicable for uses other than intended. Those particular filters do not cross-reference to Yamaha motorcycles and are specifically designed for these applications only. Use at your own risk.

M1-108 - Hyundai, Kia (1994-10), Infiniti, Nissan (1995-14) Mazda (1990-08, 2011-15), Subaru (2004-14) (Mazda B6Y1-14-302; Subaru 15208-KA010)
M1-110 - Chrysler Products (1991-98, 01-05), Ford Probe (1989-97), Honda (2001-14), Infiniti (1995-14), Mitsubishi (1992-14), Mazda (1983-02, 09-11), Nissan (1995-14) (Nissan 15208-9E000; Mitsubishi MZ690072)

They may work just fine, but don't make the mistake of taking your bike in for warranty work with them on the bike - that will void your warranty in a heartbeat, particularly if there is a motor/tranny related problem.

#22 · (Edited)
UPDATE - K&N 204

Several unnamed sources at undisclosed secure locations have passed some information on that may be of some use. I've seen no official information to back this up, so treat it as a 'advisory' only.

Some recent 'oil filter failures' have been attributed to a change in manufacturing location (China) and seem to be isolated to this particular model. If you are using this filter, check carefully that the O-ring is compressing when you tighten it down. There have been several instances where the filter is fully screwed on (bottoms out on the bung) before the O-ring has a chance to compress, resulting in O-ring 'blow out'. The mating plate is not dished as much as previous models. Be sure O-ring makes contact with the engine mating surface well before reaching torque.

I have been using the 204's on the R3 and have recommended them up to this point. I went out and checked my spares in the shop (stamped 'made in Korea') and they looked OK. So, if you have these - check to see if the top of the center threaded hole is no less than about 5 mm below the O-ring. Any less than that (or stamped made in China) - don't use it and return it if you can.

EDIT - another way to check that you have a 'good' 204 is to remove the O-ring and spin the filter on by hand - if it spins freely until metal on metal contact, you should be good. Take the filter back off and reinstall O-ring, then you should be OK.

And in the spirit of this forum, which is to try to provide 'good' information to folks that may not have much experience with these things, I'd offer that just because someone has used a non-recommended filters, oil, tires, etc. with no apparent problems does not mean that practice should be promoted or recommended on the forum. At this point I'm taking the position that the OEM is the filter that should be used.

#28 ·
UPDATE - K&N 204

Several unnamed sources at undisclosed secure locations have passed some information on that may be of some use. I've seen no official information to back this up, so treat it as a 'advisory' only.

Some recent 'oil filter failures' have been attributed to a change in manufacturing location (China) and seem to be isolated to this particular model. If you are using this filter, check carefully that the O-ring is compressing when you tighten it down. There have been several instances where the filter is fully screwed on (bottoms out on the bung) before the O-ring has a chance to compress, resulting in O-ring 'blow out'. The mating plate is not dished as much as previous models. Be sure O-ring makes contact with the engine mating surface well before reaching torque.

I have been using the 204's on the R3 and have recommended them up to this point. I went out and checked my spares in the shop (stamped 'made in Korea') and they looked OK. So, if you have these - check to see if the top of the center threaded hole is no less than about 5 mm below the O-ring. Any less than that (or stamped made in China) - don't use it and return it if you can.

EDIT - another way to check that you have a 'good' 204 is to remove the O-ring and spin the filter on by hand - if it spins freely until metal on metal contact, you should be good. Take the filter back off and reinstall O-ring, then you should be OK.

And in the spirit of this forum, which is to try to provide 'good' information to folks that may not have much experience with these things, I'd offer that just because someone has used a non-recommended filters, oil, tires, etc. with no apparent problems does not mean that practice should be promoted or recommended on the forum. At this point I'm taking the position that the OEM is the filter that should be used.
I am using a Car filter called K&N HP-1003 made in USA.

also the KN-204. Mine is made in Thailand.

So far no problems at all (daily driven).

The whole hoax about not using a car oil filter is bologne in my opinion.

Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

#23 ·
Just found out today that the Purolator Pure One PL14610 no longer works on the R3. It had worked previously though. The new version is not dished out where the older model had been.

I did do some testing and found you can pound down the raised portion (if you have a non marring hammer) and it will work. I would not recommend this unless you ABSOLUTELY need a filter and there are no other options.

#24 ·
Noobie question:

I'm about to perform my 600 mile service on my 2018 R3. The oil filter no.is (Denso-Yamaha)1WD-E3440-10. I could not find that one on Amazon, but I found one on eBay that said it was superseded by this no. (Denso-Yamaha)5GH-13440-60-00. Am I good to go with the latter oil filter?
Thanks

#26 ·
So, I got it backwards. The filter in my brand new bike is actually the model that has been superseded. I guess I expected the latest and greatest from a brand new bike. Not so. Yamaha must have a surplus of the old stock, 1wd....
The newest is the 5GH...
I had already confirmed with parts list from Motorsport, and Rocky Mountain ATV.
Thanks guys. I hope I don't have the usual difficulties removing the filter. I hear that Japan uses locktite when they install these. lol

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.