Yamaha R3 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I'm been using the M1-108 and M1-110's (if there's enough room) on Honda's, Kawasaki and Yamaha's for years with no issues. If you're concerned about using a motorcycle specific filter, use their M1MC-174 oil filter.

BTW, that been 10+ years of racing on those bikes and thousand upon thousands of miles on the street.

UPDATE - K&N 204

Several unnamed sources at undisclosed secure locations have passed some information on that may be of some use. I've seen no official information to back this up, so treat it as a 'advisory' only.

Some recent 'oil filter failures' have been attributed to a change in manufacturing location (China) and seem to be isolated to this particular model. If you are using this filter, check carefully that the O-ring is compressing when you tighten it down. There have been several instances where the filter is fully screwed on (bottoms out on the bung) before the O-ring has a chance to compress, resulting in O-ring 'blow out'. The mating plate is not dished as much as previous models. Be sure O-ring makes contact with the engine mating surface well before reaching torque.

I have been using the 204's on the R3 and have recommended them up to this point. I went out and checked my spares in the shop (stamped 'made in Korea') and they looked OK. So, if you have these - check to see if the top of the center threaded hole is no less than about 5 mm below the O-ring. Any less than that (or stamped made in China) - don't use it and return it if you can.

EDIT - another way to check that you have a 'good' 204 is to remove the O-ring and spin the filter on by hand - if it spins freely until metal on metal contact, you should be good. Take the filter back off and reinstall O-ring, then you should be OK.

And in the spirit of this forum, which is to try to provide 'good' information to folks that may not have much experience with these things, I'd offer that just because someone has used a non-recommended filters, oil, tires, etc. with no apparent problems does not mean that practice should be promoted or recommended on the forum. At this point I'm taking the position that the OEM is the filter that should be used.

Just found out today that the Purolator Pure One PL14610 no longer works on the R3. It had worked previously though. The new version is not dished out where the older model had been.

I did do some testing and found you can pound down the raised portion (if you have a non marring hammer) and it will work. I would not recommend this unless you ABSOLUTELY need a filter and there are no other options.

Noobie question:

I'm about to perform my 600 mile service on my 2018 R3. The oil filter no.is (Denso-Yamaha)1WD-E3440-10. I could not find that one on Amazon, but I found one on eBay that said it was superseded by this no. (Denso-Yamaha)5GH-13440-60-00. Am I good to go with the latter oil filter?
Thanks

So, I got it backwards. The filter in my brand new bike is actually the model that has been superseded. I guess I expected the latest and greatest from a brand new bike. Not so. Yamaha must have a surplus of the old stock, 1wd....
The newest is the 5GH...
I had already confirmed with parts list from Motorsport, and Rocky Mountain ATV.
Thanks guys. I hope I don't have the usual difficulties removing the filter. I hear that Japan uses locktite when they install these. lol

So, I got it backwards. The filter in my brand new bike is actually the model that has been superseded. I guess I expected the latest and greatest from a brand new bike. Not so. Yamaha must have a surplus of the old stock, 1wd....
The newest is the 5GH...
I had already confirmed with parts list from Motorsport, and Rocky Mountain ATV.
Thanks guys. I hope I don't have the usual difficulties removing the filter. I hear that Japan uses locktite when they install these. lol
You'll be fine , but there is a filter wrench available for not much more $$ than an oil filter. This link is Yamaha with a good Yamaha # for this wrench. But I suspect you can plug in that # somewhere else also. Just remember to get the "5G" wrench. Notice the "5G" on your filter #.
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/...ce&d=37&ls=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=

UPDATE - K&N 204

Several unnamed sources at undisclosed secure locations have passed some information on that may be of some use. I've seen no official information to back this up, so treat it as a 'advisory' only.

Some recent 'oil filter failures' have been attributed to a change in manufacturing location (China) and seem to be isolated to this particular model. If you are using this filter, check carefully that the O-ring is compressing when you tighten it down. There have been several instances where the filter is fully screwed on (bottoms out on the bung) before the O-ring has a chance to compress, resulting in O-ring 'blow out'. The mating plate is not dished as much as previous models. Be sure O-ring makes contact with the engine mating surface well before reaching torque.

I have been using the 204's on the R3 and have recommended them up to this point. I went out and checked my spares in the shop (stamped 'made in Korea') and they looked OK. So, if you have these - check to see if the top of the center threaded hole is no less than about 5 mm below the O-ring. Any less than that (or stamped made in China) - don't use it and return it if you can.

EDIT - another way to check that you have a 'good' 204 is to remove the O-ring and spin the filter on by hand - if it spins freely until metal on metal contact, you should be good. Take the filter back off and reinstall O-ring, then you should be OK.

And in the spirit of this forum, which is to try to provide 'good' information to folks that may not have much experience with these things, I'd offer that just because someone has used a non-recommended filters, oil, tires, etc. with no apparent problems does not mean that practice should be promoted or recommended on the forum. At this point I'm taking the position that the OEM is the filter that should be used.
I am using a Car filter called K&N HP-1003 made in USA.

also the KN-204. Mine is made in Thailand.

So far no problems at all (daily driven).

The whole hoax about not using a car oil filter is bologne in my opinion.

Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.