Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Oil level?

19K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  sLing 
#1 ·
I put spools on my swingarm today and took a look at the oil level with it up on my rear stand. The oil level is about 1-2mm lower than when the bike is on the ground. Reading the sight glass is sensitive to the bike being tipped left or right but apparently the front to back angle doesn't affect it much.

I check the oil when the engine is warm but the level is pretty much the same when the engine is cold so I might start checking it before I ride.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oil levels on most bikes need to be measured on the center stand, or when sitting on the bike holding it straight, with a non-running motor.

On the side stand peg, the level should show lower than it actually is.

Sometimes, lifting the rear can help get rid of excess motor oil, when draining the oil..

#3 ·
On the side stand peg, the level should show lower than it actually is.
On the side stand no oil shows at all! That is why I think my bike was overfilled when I purchased it. I think the guy prepping the bike didn't bother to measure the oil level the proper way. The bike was 1/2QT overfilled.

I specifically measured the difference between the level with the bike standing, with no rider on it, and on the spooled rear stand. The difference is 1-2MM. That is close enough for me and it is much easier to check the oil with the stand holding the bike than with me trying to hold it upright at the same time.

I had to drop the oil when I bought it due to that overfill problem. I added back 1700CC oil (since the filter was not changed) which put the oil level at the lower mark. An additional 100CC oil took it slightly above the upper mark. The manual, and the markings on the crankcase, call for 1800CC. Apparently that amount works perfectly.

#5 · (Edited)
Before I ride away from the dealer with my new bike, I check chain tension and alignment, oil level, and look the entire bike over to make sure no parts are missing including the tool kit and its contents, and check for scratches and dings. I have bought bikes with missing parts, chains too tight, oil level too high, etc, and even a scratched gas tank. It's easier to get them to deal with it or acknowledge the problem then. When I bought my FZ07, there was too much oil in it too. The salesman first tried to tell me the bike needed to cool off first, but eventually, realizing I wasn't born yesterday, they removed some of the oil.

I check oil by using one of those telescoping dental mirrors from Harbor Freight that sell for $3 so I can sit on the bike to keep it level and just hold the handle out to the side. Works like a charm.

#6 ·
I did my 600 mile oil change today and paid very close attention to the oil level with the bike in the position suggested in the owner's manual and the position of the bike on my stand. If I add 100CC extra oil the oil is the proper level on the stand and very slightly above the top line with the bike positioned per the owner's manual. Since it is infinitely easier to check the oil level on the stand, and to work on the bike in general while it is on the stand, I will use the +100CC method. I think that is close enough.

#9 ·
Clean and lube chain when it needs it - more often in wet weather. It depends on how much you ride - about every 300-500 miles or so. Every other fill-up.

Your owner's manual provides a range of recommended oil viscosities - use oil made for motorcycles, not automobiles - they are not the same. Any quality brand should be fine - synth if you want, probably not necessary. Change oil at recommended intervals.

Check coolant periodically - both in radiator and in remote reservoir. Bleed brakes and replace brake fluid annually. Replace coolant every couple of years.

#11 ·
I have to agree with the previous post. The engine's oil sight glass is more sensitive to side-to-side variations than front-to- back. And as long as you have a rear stand, it's certainly easier to get a oil drain pan under the engine than without one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.