Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Oil Light Remains On

15K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Muhammad Zahid 
#1 ·
Hey guys. This is my first post and I'm sad that it has to be an issue/concern with my R3. I purchased the bike 2 weeks ago and it has about 140 miles. So here is my issue, when cold starting my bike everything seems fine but after a run and turning off the bike to refuel or any kind of break (10-20 mins) I restart my bike and the Oil Pressure Light remains on for about 25 seconds. I took it back into the dealership I bought it from and they said that everything seems normal and that they've compared it to other R3s and that they are all doing the same ( friend of mine has a 1 week old R3 and it does not have a Oil Light that remains on) Their advice was to take it home and if it becomes a bigger issues they will have in record my visit regarding the Oil Light, should I visit another dealership or call Yamaha? This is my first bike, any feedback would be helpful. Also my bike is not part of the recall.

-The name is Fabian by the way

#3 ·
Mine will occasionally stay on for a few seconds after stopping for gas or something.. But usually it will only stay on for about 5 - 10 seconds max.. It kinda worried me the first time it did but I guess I just got used to it because I don't pay much attention to it now.. I always keep an eye on all my gauges when I'm riding or driving though.. Just a habit

#5 ·
Is it in the Recall ?

#6 ·
I agree with it not being normal. Something has to be wrong, either the something is wrong with the amount of pressure or the actual pressure switch itself.
I was estimating it was 5-10 seconds that the lights would stay on but after actually timing it with a stop watch, it clocked at 25 seconds after the bike being off for about 20 minutes. I turned it off and restarted it again and light remain for a shorter period of time, 3 seconds maybe.
No its not part of the recall.

What would be my best option, another dealer or call yamaha directly?

I will look around the recall section as well.

#10 · (Edited)
If the recall didn't affect the oil light, and it goes out more quickly cold than when hot, then I'm inclined to guess that the oil pressure switch, however it works, may be a little more stiff than average. This means you might need to blip the throttle when hot to initially toggle the switch. On the flip side, it will probably come on slightly more quickly if you ever do run low on oil pressure. Just a wag.

Despite several people reporting that the light sometimes stays on a bit until throttle blip when the oil is already hot, I don't remember any actual functional issues reported in the forum yet. If the oil light came on again after going off, that would be a much more serious thing.

#12 ·
Im always on the bike when I start it, so its upright but I did start it while on the side stand to see if it made a difference and its all the same.

I did call Yamaha and one of the techs there advise to take it to a local dealership and have their techs give Yamaha a call so they can troubleshoot the issue together. Dealership service guy didn't seem too excited about doing that so they are just going to replace the sensor to see if that does the trick. I will be taking it in tomorrow, I will update once the work is done to see if that fixed the issue.

#13 ·
Mine comes on an stays on for a bit even after the new pump. It may be the oil but since your bin break in there's nothing you can do. I'm about to change to semi. As long as it goes off it's okay it's just building pressure... I'm not sure where the sensor is but it still has to build pressure.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
It’s not, I mean it is but now how you’re thinking, see how there’s no oil behind it on the lower “ground” is effectively. The edge of the retainer thing and the oil that is trapped between it and the sight glass. I will record some video of it being tilted past it’s balance point to that side tomorrow. I hope to god It’s not as bad as it seems to be but no matter what when centered the line isn’t even visible let alone at the minimum line

#22 · (Edited)
I'd definitely put some oil in it ASAP. (Please let us know how much it takes to get it back to the correct level.) You also might want to top it up and then immediately change the oil and filter. If the previous owner let it get into that state then, assuming there's no oil leak, head gasket issue etc, who knows when they last changed the oil and filter.

How many miles has the bike done in total so far?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#23 · (Edited)
I'd definitely put some oil in it ASAP. (Please let us know how much it takes to get it back to the correct level.) You also might want to top it up and then immediately change the oil and filter. If the previous owner let it get into that state then, assuming there's no oil leak, head gasket issue etc, who knows when they last changed the oil and filter.

How many miles has the bike done in total so far?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
thanks for the advice. The bike has 6660 miles. It’s apparently satan. Idk. I thought that was the diavel. I didn’t want to top it up because I wanted to get an oil analysis and I didn’t think there was ANY oil in it, when standing it up I saw NOTHING in the sight glass at all. Even tilting it to that side a bit.

the oil drain trip meter showed 1,000 miles. However I struggle to believe that, it had an oem filter, and the way this bike had been cared for, which is to say not much at all, just makes it hard for me to believe when the ex wife who sold it to me said “he changed the oil himself” it meant anything but he never changed it, just like he never cleaned it or greased the chain that’s rusted after just over a year of ownership and the tires that were never changed despite the front tire having the little prickly things still on the sides.
Anyway I pulled the drain plug and nearly 2 quarts of....oil+....came out like 1.6-1.8 maybe. ....which confused me, because it appeared to have none in it. And once refilled it showed the right amount in the sight glass normally. Unfortunately the oil reeks of gasoline, and I have no idea what that means, and it did seem too low viscoisity and towards the end of the draining it appeared to be a bit thinner The bike smells of gas strongly when starting it for a few minutes at least, if not just persistently while started but stationary and I thought it was just because of the janky slip on that’s literally slipped on and not installed right but unfortunately the gas in the oil makes me convinced something deeper is amiss. I have no idea what to do frankly, I can’t even ride to the shop because I haven’t even gotten the title from the previous owners lien release from Yamaha yet so ....yea, no idea what to do next or how quickly I should drain this, I plan to do it rather rapidly though because it seems prudent.

any tips as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated. I didn’t notice much of anything in the oil, but towards the end I did notice some very fine particulate, I believe it was coming from the filter not the drain plug. I can link a video to the drain shortly

oil sight glass/level right after change, it’s a bit higher than this because this was seconds after starting it and I was trying to balance it myself this time, but I can’t fathom how it showed nothing before, unless the low viscosity played a part but still I don’t understand where else it could be but the bottom end

also it’s a 2018 model purchased 3/2019

#26 ·
Yes, sorry - hit reply before I read the rest of your post. Looks like you had enough oil to run it which is why the light never came on. The gas smell is a little concerning. Did you replace the filter with an OEM or aftermarket? What I would do is ride it a bit and then drain the oil again after a few hundred miles and see what the oil is like then. Might be nothing.

#27 ·
what is bizarre is that there showed no oil in the sight glass, all I can gather is that the viscosity was so effected by the gas that it appeared to have no oil, it feels much better in some ways now but still scares me at high revs, especially in first and somewhat second too where things get very chattery, its my first bike though. I watched a video that said if engine oil smells like gas you've got a bad or busted ring, and I found some small tiny softer metal particles in the very end of the oil change, like in the last few drips, but bigger than a fine powder, so I am sketched. scared to ride it for now and have no idea what getting it opened up and having a ring replaced would cost, assuming literally nothing else needed to happen, I just dont want to hurt it more by riding so I stick to low revs. it does have a terrible exhaust that isn't fitted properly so it escapes and I guess that could be why it sounds somewhat scary at high rpm in first and second.

idk, I am just so disappointed I didn't do my due diligence, not to get in too much detail but I lost my mother recently and I spent most of my 20's as her caretaker and was proud of having done so, all that changed though when she passed as in too many ways it was avoidable and my own fault. anyway so I was in a dark place and figured hey if I am ready to give up I might as well try this motorcycling thing I always wanted to but was always worried I would kill myself doing it, so this was supposed to be therapy for me basically and its just been so stressful because I got caught up in the hype and bought a bike being convinced a year old bike couldn't have any problems. anyway, sorry for the rant, I just have no connections or community to lean on to help me and even if I did.....let me stfu its just not a good time for me to be chasing problems with money when I should have spent a little more and just be riding right now instead of waiting for a lien release on a bike that may be ready to grenade

#28 ·
also on that note, if anyone has a stock or aftermarket slip on for the r3 thats sitting around and wouldn't mind giving me a deal I would love to take it off our hands, I got conned and trusted some jerk that sold me a r6 stock slip on promising it fit the r3, of course it didn't, and the MGP growler thats on my bike has not only got some significant physical wear and tear but it doesn't fit or isn't secured properly etc, I can feel exhaust pulses escaping at the point it connects all around the pipe, so while I am tempted to get some ebay exhaust I literally just want something that fits and works properly, stock or aftermarket is less important than just working.

alternatively if anyone can suggest a good solid budget aftermarket slip on I'd appreciate it. I spent $3,000 for this bike, a 2018 with 6600 miles, thinking I was getting a deal, but its rapidly proving me a fool, any suggestions would be appreciated....also if you are thinking im an idiot, so am I

#29 ·
Hey sorry about your mom. Sounds like you were a good son and took care of her.

As for exhaust, Coffmans is the cheapest 'good' slip on out there that I found. It's what I have. Works well, looks good and it isn't huge either. Can be run with or without the silencer.

As for your engine - you could take it apart yourself but it might be too big of a job. Maybe ask around a few shops for a quote?

#30 ·
Might be paranoia talking, but I would still suggest getting the bike checked on. Typically if a piston ring blows, it would be engine oil that gets pushed into the combustion chamber causing your engine oil level to drop faster than normal. you may want to check your oil levels and check the oil filter on the next oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.