Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Oil Light Still Blinking After Change

80K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Paulie.online 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forums and motorcycling!

So yesterday, I hit my 600 miles and had some free time so I did the oil change recommended by the manual. I swapped the oil with 10w40 Mobil, a new filter from Yamaha, put in ~2.2qts, and called it a day. I'll be doing the other 600mi maintenance items today. But the weird thing is, the "OIL" indicator on the dash is still flashing. I'm not sure if this is a computer issue, or an oil sensor issue. I didn't give it much thought since 1) There's brand new oil and enough of it in the engine 2) There's a new filter on there

I know that "OIL" indicator is just to remind you that you need to change the oil, right? Should I be worried? lol

#6 ·
I had the same fear back when I was getting my first oil change from the dealer. I was at 592 miles or something like that and got the oil change, carried on for a nice canyon ride towards the beach and then it started to blink. called them up cause I knew the counter had to be reset but couldn't figure out if it was hold that button or the other one and with or without the power on, etc, etc.. and they didn't know, so a series of trails later I figured it out.

*make sure you're OBD on the screen and not trip or something like that.

:D

#7 ·
Did you guys even read your owners manual?!!
All of this is explained in the "OWNERS MANUAL" that came with your brand new bike!!!
Sorry, don't mean to be a d1ck, but c'mon, spend one rainy night reading the book that came with your brand new bike!.
Isn't it worth protecting your BRAND NEW investment?

#8 · (Edited)
I just did my oil/filter today and added 2.25 qt of oil while the bike was upright/straight. It got to the top level then I turned on the motorcycle for 1 minute and let the oil cycle through and warm up a little. The level dropped below low so I added another half Quart for a total of 2.75 qt and that brought the level back up to right at the top line at the level viewing window, not the top of the window but the line. Between the low/top line is .5 qt.
Edit, Added to top of window "so when running" is at top line.

Detailed Video of my Oil Change. At the end you can see how I properly level the oil while checking the level when the bike is on and level.
https://youtu.be/0LOH4BpRUk0

#13 ·
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it is the first search result when searching for "r3 reset oil light" and it is fairly annoying that no one actually bothered to answer the question.

Yes I know that the instructions are in the manual, but we don't always have the manual with us. Lots of time when I am out on the road and something comes up I will google and and hit the forums for the answer. I did sit down and read the manual when I got the bike, but guess what! Somehow I didn't manage to memorize every instruction for the dash computer.

Instructions for resetting the oil light from page 4-8 in the manual:

The oil change tripmeter shows the distance traveled since it was last reset (i.e., since the last oil change).

The oil change indicator “OIL” will flash at the initial 1000 km (600 mi) and every 5000 km (3000 mi) thereafter to indicate that the engine oil should be changed.

After changing the engine oil, reset the oil change tripmeter and the oil change indicator. To reset them both, select the oil change tripmeter, and then push the “RES” button for one second. Then, while “OIL” and the oil change tripmeter are flashing, push the “RES” button for three seconds. The oil change indicator will be reset.

If the engine oil is changed before the oil change indicator comes on (i.e., before the periodic oil change interval has been reached), the oil change tripmeter must be reset for the next periodic oil change to be indicated at the correct time.

#14 ·
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it is the first search result when searching for "r3 reset oil light" and it is fairly annoying that no one actually bothered to answer the question.

Yes I know that the instructions are in the manual, but we don't always have the manual with us. Lots of time when I am out on the road and something comes up I will google and and hit the forums for the answer. I did sit down and read the manual when I got the bike, but guess what! Somehow I didn't manage to memorize every instruction for the dash computer.

Instructions for resetting the oil light from page 4-8 in the manual:

The oil change tripmeter shows the distance traveled since it was last reset (i.e., since the last oil change).

The oil change indicator “OIL” will flash at the initial 1000 km (600 mi) and every 5000 km (3000 mi) thereafter to indicate that the engine oil should be changed.

After changing the engine oil, reset the oil change tripmeter and the oil change indicator. To reset them both, select the oil change tripmeter, and then push the “RES” button for one second. Then, while “OIL” and the oil change tripmeter are flashing, push the “RES” button for three seconds. The oil change indicator will be reset.

If the engine oil is changed before the oil change indicator comes on (i.e., before the periodic oil change interval has been reached), the oil change tripmeter must be reset for the next periodic oil change to be indicated at the correct time.
Thank you! I did this and it worked although my dash still says “oil” but it’s not flashing and I know it never used to say that. Does that mean something is wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.