Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just rolled over 30 miles on the bike and love it so far. It's my first street bike and after 10+ years of motocross and woods riding on dirt bikes I'm still adjusting.

Anyways, I hope I'm asking a stupid question and there's nothing actually wrong, but my oil pressure warning light stays on for 3 seconds after the engine is started. In the manual it says it should go off as soon as the engine is started, but I'm thinking its still flowing through the motor at that point no? Like I said its my first street bike and I'm probably just being over cautious but I'd like my mind to be put at ease. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine does it too. Also, my bike will stall out and seems to run lean when first getting on it at very low speeds. Lastly, at very low speeds it will pop or miss which I know is a lean condition. I've only had it a few weeks and it has 150 or so miles. One more thing. When it stalls at really low speed before it warms up. It will hesitate to start while in gear. Doesn't make sense to me, but every beast is different. My CB300F never had any type of issue besides top speed. I'm a Yamaha fan and love my R3, but don't think it should act like this. I'm a motocross guy too, so I'm used to getting the bike in neutral before attempting to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always wait for the fuel pump hum and the dash board to do its thing before I turn it over, it NEVER comes back on after the 3 seconds and I know the oil is at a good level. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cold start - Oil light goes out after 2-3 seconds.
Hot/warm start - oil light stays on 10-15 sec, until I rev a little.
Have seen it go out after rev (~2500-3000rpm) the come back on at idle.
Oil pressure sensor or oil pump?
Where can the actual oil pressure be checked (port)?
Mechanic is out sick for a couple days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. My english is not so good, so please excuse me for any mistakes. My bike has the same problem. Today I cleaned the oil pressure sensor and the problem dissapear, but, last time I started de engine the light turned off after a second. After job I'll check how it works. It seems there is no problem with the oil pressure and the engine is going to be ok because it's just a delay of read sensor.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Also, my bike will stall out and seems to run lean when first getting on it at very low speeds.
Another case, yeah my R3 will cut out and buck me badly if I get on the gas within the first ~30 seconds if the engine is cold, so now I let my bike warm up to 2 bars first before departing. Also I had to adjust the idle set screw to raise idle rpms from 1300 to 1800 to stop the bike from stalling at stop lights all the time, super dangerous. Yamaha needs to revisit fueling/afr at idle.

I notice that the poster hasn't returned in 9 months, must have changed bikes.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Another case, yeah my R3 will cut out and buck me badly if I get on the gas within the first ~30 seconds if the engine is cold, so now I let my bike warm up to 2 bars first before departing. Also I had to adjust the idle set screw to raise idle rpms from 1300 to 1800 to stop the bike from stalling at stop lights all the time, super dangerous. Yamaha needs to revisit fueling/afr at idle.

I notice that the poster hasn't returned in 9 months, must have changed bikes.
Where is this screw?

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Where is this screw?
iirc, Follow the throttle cable to the engine. You'll need to remove a fairing and the coolant reservoir. The set screw is where the rotating throttle stops. You'll need to wedge the throttle open while trying to work with the microscopic set screw. Thin fingers will help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts