Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have ridden for about 4 years. I started on a 2017 Buddy Eclipse 125 to learn and get my endorsement with, then bought a 2020 Kawasaki Z125, which is by far my main ride since I brought it home. I also own a 1986 Honda Helix scooter that was just too good to pass on; 1700 original miles, perfect shape, and the price was perfect.

I lurked this forum for a month or so after I became interested in the R3. It’s a beautiful bike for its class and I think it would be a great logical step up from the Z (which I plan on also keeping... it’s just too fun). Always wanted a ”Sport Bike” and being a little on the smaller stature end of things makes me think The R3 would be close enough to perfect for me.

By joining this forum I hope to gain information about the R3 and solidify the purchase that j will inevitably be making in the coming days.

Would love to chat with R3 owners to hear first-hand experiences with these bikes. I’m still a novice in my mind, so I assume that the R3 would be a logical step up from the Z125. So... let’s chat!

Thanks for having me!

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The R3 is a nice bike for novice or seasoned rider There's lots to see on here already if you care to look through previous discussions. Click under "Forums", most things are sorted under sub-titles. Enjoy and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been ridding for over 40 years (I bought a 2019 R3 last fall). I've run the full circuit..... I've owned everything from a CFR450R, Goldwing, Grom, liter-bikes, and nearly every in between... I had the luxury of having parents that supported me riding throughout my whole childhood (as long as I can remember)... Not everyone was raised this way. You seem like you're doing it the right way. Learning a new skill is MUCH harder as an adult. The R3 is SUCH a good platform!!! Very easy to ride, yet still keeps the interest of veteran riders as well. Such a perfect blend of ease of riding, and performance- and just plain fun!!! I have a dedicated FZ-07 for the track. My R3 is only for the street. Welcome to the forum!!! Most people here are very friendly :cool:-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the Forum. The R3 is a nice bike for novice or seasoned rider There's lots to see on here already if you care to look through previous discussions. Click under "Forums", most things are sorted under sub-titles. Enjoy and Ride Safe.
Thank you! Diving into research tonight.

I've been ridding for over 40 years (I bought a 2019 R3 last fall). I've run the full circuit..... I've owned everything from a CFR450R, Goldwing, Grom, liter-bikes, and nearly every in between... I had the luxury of having parents that supported me riding throughout my whole childhood (as long as I can remember)... Not everyone was raised this way. You seem like you're doing it the right way. Learning a new skill is MUCH harder as an adult. The R3 is SUCH a good platform!!! Very easy to ride, yet still keeps the interest of veteran riders as well. Such a perfect blend of ease of riding, and performance- and just plain fun!!! I have a dedicated FZ-07 for the track. My R3 is only for the street. Welcome to the forum!!! Most people here are very friendly :cool:-
This is what I was hoping to hear. I still consider myself a novice rider, so I’m not looking for a 1000+cc bike that would just end up getting me in trouble. TBH I’ve never been into the idea of going crazy fast and my first few two-wheelers kept me on the safe, slower side of things. I was hoping that a 300 could work perfectly for mostly city streets with the occasional 60-70mph zone if I needed to hop on the highway for a few miles (even if it’s in the slow lane!) 😂

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you end up buying one yet?
Not yet. I went to a local Yamaha dealership (Maxey's - OKC) and sat on a 2020 R3 in the gloss / matte black, talked to a salesperson, and almost rode it home. I need to sell one of my scooters before I buy another bike, but the need was REAL!

Initial price was $5400 out the door but I would have tried to bring it down a bit. I was looking at a used 2019 with around 1500 miles for $4200 but it got scooped up before I could go check it out.

I wanted the all matte black 2019 R3 but the gloss / matte combo looked pretty sweet in person.

Gonna try to make some moves on my scooter this week, would be a nice down payment!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not yet. I went to a local Yamaha dealership (Maxey's - OKC) and sat on a 2020 R3 in the gloss / matte black, talked to a salesperson, and almost rode it home. I need to sell one of my scooters before I buy another bike, but the need was REAL!

Initial price was $5400 out the door but I would have tried to bring it down a bit. I was looking at a used 2019 with around 1500 miles for $4200 but it got scooped up before I could go check it out.

I wanted the all matte black 2019 R3 but the gloss / matte combo looked pretty sweet in person.

Gonna try to make some moves on my scooter this week, would be a nice down payment!
$5,400 is actually pretty good for a 2020, assuming it's brand new -- or at least it would be here in SoCal. I got my new [ matte black ;-) ] '19 for $4,900 OTD. IMO, don't even think about a used one if there's any way you can buy new. For only a few hundred, you can avoid the risk of getting one that was somehow trashed up by the previous owner (broken in improperly, red-lined through every gear on a cold motor, wrong oil used...bolts stripped out...who knows LOL). Personally, I hate used vehicles and only buy them if there's just absolutely no way I can buy the same or a similar vehicle new. To be fair, I've never bought a new car, but I have bought 4 brand new two-wheeled vehicles. IMO, it's definitely the way to go if you can.

Anyway, congrats on choosing this bike. It's fantastic and, IMO, the best in the category. It's not faster in a straight line than the KTM or Kawasaki, but way better for other reasons... :) Let us know when you snatch it up, and maybe post a pic or two.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll give you the opposite opinion on new vs. used.

Personally, I'd never buy a new motorcycle, as you lose at least a grand in value the second you ride away from the dealer—plus you're also paying for all of the dealer add-ons and services, which can add up quickly. The difference in taxes alone (in Illinois) was almost $800 from buying private party vs from a dealer.

My '17 was bought this past spring with a little over 4000 miles on the clock. It was owned by a young woman, and the bike was very well taken care of, never dropped, maintained by a dealer, and ridden with care. It's just about a new bike as you will find, and I paid $2000 less than your quoted price. With that extra $2k, I have been able to do a bunch of things to the bike, including a new full exhaust system this past weekend, which woke the bike up and shed a bunch of excess weight.

If you're trying to get the most bang for your buck, buying a new bike (especially an entry-level bike that many people will sell in the first 6-12 months of owning) is a fools errand. If you can turn a wrench, buying brand new doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my world unless you have money to throw around, or you need to take out a loan to buy an R3.

Consider this—Yamaha sells more R3s than any other bike in their lineup. There are a ton of them on the second-hand market with super low miles, in great condition for a LOT less than a new, dealer-prepped R3.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$5,400 is actually pretty good for a 2020, assuming it's brand new -- or at least it would be here in SoCal. I got my new [ matte black ;-) ] '19 for $4,900 OTD. IMO, don't even think about a used one if there's any way you can buy new. For only a few hundred, you can avoid the risk of getting one that was somehow trashed up by the previous owner (broken in improperly, red-lined through every gear on a cold motor, wrong oil used...bolts stripped out...who knows LOL). Personally, I hate used vehicles and only buy them if there's just absolutely no way I can buy the same or a similar vehicle new. To be fair, I've never bought a new car, but I have bought 4 brand new two-wheeled vehicles. IMO, it's definitely the way to go if you can.

Anyway, congrats on choosing this bike. It's fantastic and, IMO, the best in the category. It's not faster in a straight line than the KTM or Kawasaki, but way better for other reasons... :) Let us know when you snatch it up, and maybe post a pic or two.
Thanks for the advice. I’d like to go new, and I didn’t think $5400 out the door was that bad. I may have also forgot to mention that it is the ABS model, which I’d really like to have. I’d I could talk them down a couple hundred I think I’ll go that route unless the perfect, super low miles 2019 comes along ( I prefer the ALL matte 2019 to the mix/match black 2020). Either way, your response is much appreciated!

I'll give you the opposite opinion on new vs. used.

Personally, I'd never buy a new motorcycle, as you lose at least a grand in value the second you ride away from the dealer—plus you're also paying for all of the dealer add-ons and services, which can add up quickly. The difference in taxes alone (in Illinois) was almost $800 from buying private party vs from a dealer.

My '17 was bought this past spring with a little over 4000 miles on the clock. It was owned by a young woman, and the bike was very well taken care of, never dropped, maintained by a dealer, and ridden with care. It's just about a new bike as you will find, and I paid $2000 less than your quoted price. With that extra $2k, I have been able to do a bunch of things to the bike, including a new full exhaust system this past weekend, which woke the bike up and shed a bunch of excess weight.

If you're trying to get the most bang for your buck, buying a new bike (especially an entry-level bike that many people will sell in the first 6-12 months of owning) is a fools errand. If you can turn a wrench, buying brand new doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my world unless you have money to throw around, or you need to take out a loan to buy an R3.

Consider this—Yamaha sells more R3s than any other bike in their lineup. There are a ton of them on the second-hand market with super low miles, in great condition for a LOT less than a new, dealer-prepped R3.
Thank you for the thoughtful response. You have a lot of good points! But to be honest, I rarely see a used (and in perfect shape) R3 in my area. I don’t mind the idea of buying new because I’d like to properly break it in. I do see your point though. Savings is savings especially when I have a short list of things that I’d like to do to the bike before I’ve even signed my name! I’m gonna keep my eye out and maybe I’ll get lucky. Either way, thanks for the smart advice! Much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts