Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an intro as I don't get my 03 till March. It's a downsizing due to my TMax DX being now getting a tittle heavy and insurance for a "senior" person becoming high. This change is similar to the reason why I bought the TMax new in 2018 switching, as I did, from a BMW 1200 GS. The TMax is now for sale, should any one be interested.
I'm sure I'll like the 03 but would be grateful for any suggestions for useful additions. In particular how useful is a screen and what is available? I'm not expecting the same as TMax comfort. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not really sure what a "TMax" is? I'm from the USA, and we usually don't get the "cool bikes" that the rest of the globe seems to enjoy.... I do know, you will LOVE the "03 platform"... My wife and I own three Yamaha R3's, as well as an FZ-07. I'm also a "senior" rider @ 52 years old. I've run the full circuit, and owned everything from a supermoto, to a Goldwing 1800... The YZF-R3/MT-03 package is one of the best platforms I've ever experienced!!!! Yamaha got this bike/platform "right" the first time :cool:. As much as I truly HATE to say it- "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow"........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not really sure what a "TMax" is? I'm from the USA, and we usually don't get the "cool bikes" that the rest of the globe seems to enjoy.... I do know, you will LOVE the "03 platform"... My wife and I own three Yamaha R3's, as well as an FZ-07. I'm also a "senior" rider @ 52 years old. I've run the full circuit, and owned everything from a supermoto, to a Goldwing 1800... The YZF-R3/MT-03 package is one of the best platforms I've ever experienced!!!! Yamaha got this bike/platform "right" the first time :cool:. As much as I truly HATE to say it- "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow"........
I downsized from a CB1100 retro. I wanted a much lighter bike and most of my rides are only several hours. So far I really like it. I have the small GIVI shield and Shad hard bags on it. Can't tell much about the shield yet, but the bags are great.
Rider1070
Many thanks R 1070. I was thinking of the Givi screen so will wait until I actually have the bike. At the moment in the UK we have anti bike weather AK snow!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks Cornerslider, I am learning from many sources how many riders are downsizing. It makes sense.
Also I agree with your last comment. I've heard it described as one "rides" a lower powered bike is not "ridden" by a higher powered one.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here you can see the pricing of the Tmax:

15.981,75 Euros / 18,320.89 $.

Even the used ones here are well over 10k average just pointless maybe as a collector but, not as a daily.

At 16k Euro I can buy 2x MT07 new or 1 MT09 new and 1 MT03 new

At these prices think about getting a used R1 from 2017 (16500 euros)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At last I got my MT03 at the beginning of April and am getting to know it. Comments on the following would be appreciated.
The ride even on the "soft" shock setting, seems a little firm and harsh and I wondered if there were any suggestions as to tyre pressures?
I think I need some mirror extenders as I know what my elbows look like and would prefer to see following traffic!
Is transmission whine on drive and overdrive normal?
Which after market screen is thought to be best?
I'm learning all about all the joys of gear changing, having had a TMax for four years but many other previous years experience (some even right foot change) is helping!
I look forward to hearing the experience of others.

·
Registered
2018 R3, 1996 GSXR 750
88 Posts
I think I need some mirror extenders as I know what my elbows look like and would prefer to see following traffic!
I can comment on the mirror extenders. I installed them and they do improve rear view vision. I'm not a big guy (175 lbs) and for me, with the mirror extenders and without moving my elbows inward, I still see my shoulder and arms on the inner half of the mirror. But I can see behind me in the outer half. So it's not perfect, but it's an improvement compared to no extenders. The extenders are cheap so I recommend them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts