Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was slow; however, compared to my new yzf r3 it was an equal, rear wheel hp and price (although relaltive) abt.$ 895 US dollars at the time. Gas 35 cents/ gal.
No plastic crap and fun to no end. No recalls ( who would care (if) in those days.)
All these remarkable bikes just carried on. Cheap and easy to repair by most any
novice. We didn't even need insurance (however, wise), -not even a helmet, as
most weren't even available, - probably not so wise!! I didn't even have or new what
a metric wrench was. I did learn very soon but not necessary very often. My next
bike Yamaha 1967 YDS 350 Big Bear ( high pipes), ? very quick! Faster than any dork yzf r3, so to let you know. -- By the way, no recalls, and made in Japan. Oh, yeah, just to make ado ' I am a owner of a blue yzf r3 (2015), it is splendid, but not as good as those early years of YDS or RD versions. Well, - to all, reel'in in the years. Play very safe - always!
and RD Versions. I am now sixty eight, so is better for now. Good luck and reel in thyears.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It was slow; however, compared to my new yzf r3 it was an equal, rear wheel hp and price (although relaltive) abt.$ 895 US dollars at the time. Gas 35 cents/ gal.
No plastic crap and fun to no end. No recalls ( who would care (if) in those days.)
All these remarkable bikes just carried on. Cheap and easy to repair by most any
novice. We didn't even need insurance (however, wise), -not even a helmet, as
most weren't even available, - probably not so wise!! I didn't even have or new what
a metric wrench was. I did learn very soon but not necessary very often. My next
bike Yamaha 1967 YDS 350 Big Bear ( high pipes), ? very quick! Faster than any dork yzf r3, so to let you know. -- By the way, no recalls, and made in Japan. Oh, yeah, just to make ado ' I am a owner of a blue yzf r3 (2015), it is splendid, but not as good as those early years of YDS or RD versions. Well, - to all, reel'in in the years. Play very safe - always!
and RD Versions. I am now sixty eight, so is better for now. Good luck and reel in the years.
Agree with you about the YDS series. I picked up a blown YDS7 250, fitted the later RD barrels to the engine because the YDS7 had a close ratio gearbox, better than the RD. No base gasket only sealant.
Regarding your YDS 350, I had the inlet ports opened up on mine so as to fit the carbs from the 350, (only 2mm difference) I know but every little bit counts :)
Alternator removed and a direct supply ignition straight from the battery.
Auto-lube system removed, so the 2 stroke mixture was made up in gallon cans.
Setting up the twin leading drum shoe was interesting, get it wrong you could lock up the front or brake fade could happen quickly.
Had dunlop K76 tyres, you could bank that bike over at angles that had my heart in my mouth.
Engine needed a ring change every 2 meetings, all the cylinder ports had been widened and on a 3rd meeting the rings would start breaking up. You then needed a rebore and maybe a new set of pistons. Cheaper to change the rings.
On open track days, my mate who had a 1000cc BMW boxer could only get past me at 80 mph+ the acceleration was so good. But the tubular frame, that would twist when you hit the power band.
Interesting days, engines where more simpler than now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, all was good then. As a young twenty to year old, just back from Vietnam, Americal
Division, --anything was crazy and cool! Fast was better; but if you didn't play it smart you would never see my age now. Live to see another experience. Most any motorcycle, any size, perhaps, was all a thrill. Dirt or motocross anybody? Now every thing is better than drill, (basic training, Ft. Lewis, 1968, -- the heat, moisture; combat and weapons will bring one back to reality. Life is very short! When, you are young -- enjoy, - but always remember to keep the speed down. Speed does kill, -- do it on the track, if possible. O-Ok Keep the rubber down. One beer or one rudder is too much. The world will go on with you or without you. Only your parents or close friends will miss you! Always, forever a rider. Sorry,
I didn't mean to be too pontifical. Yeah, -----

1 - 3 of 3 Posts