Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just picked up my R3 a week ago and it has roughly 600km since the last oil change was done by the previous owner. I didn't think it would be necessary to check the oil levels as an oil change was performed so recent. when I checked the oil, I made sure the bike was level...and what do i know...the whole sight glass was full! While sitting on the bike I took a video to see how much I needed to tilt it before it got the the top line of the sight glass. I only needed to tilt the bike 1-2cm (.39-.75 inches) for it to get to max line. While the bike is on the stand there is no oil in the sight glass.
My question is, would this amount of oil caused any damages to the motor? The bike seems to be running completely fine, no vibrations, no over heating, no knocking. Getting a bit OCD here because there have been alot of km put on the bike with this amount of oil.
I am going to get a turkey baster and take a small amount of excess oil from the filling port until it reaches the correct amount needed.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Mine has been overfilled since the recall work, it's been fine, yeah time for an oil change anyway ...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I run my oil level at the top of the sight-glass window. A little extra oil won't hurt a thing. You worry for nothing.
Go ride. Enjoy life. Eat a pizza. Drink a beer. Watch a movie. Listen to music.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I concur with these guys-you should be ok. Lots of people are not knowledgeable, ignorant, or worse apply "auto type thinking" to bike. In the Army, my buddy from basic who happened to get stationed at Ft Carson with me for our first duty station, borrowed my treasured 1992 Yamaha FZR600. Loved that bike. Anyway, he rode it to Pueblo from Ft Carson/Colorado Springs-I guess about 35 miles. Nice open roads and twisties, of course. He convinced me because it was for the v-jayjay.

So by bro code I lent him my precious. Moron went to get gas, and looked at the oil sight glass and I guess figured my neurotically meticulous self just half-assed his bike and neglected the oil. He later told me, he thought the dipstick was broken and figured after you removed the oil cap, you filled it to the top. So my buddy, who I am still friends with (somehow) filled it to the rim with car oil! Dude bro started riding it and said oil was shooting out exhaust and got on tire and almost wiped out. He left it in Pueblo and I had to get it after he decided he messed up and it was too dangerous to ride. Nice. We didn't talk for a while and I was furious he was a total "buddy ******," as we like to say in the Army. After several years after getting out, I forgave him as we didn't talk for several years. But it still irks me even though he is a close friend. What was even worse is that he could have killed himself. So moral of the story is, unless you know what you're doing, don't mess with the fucking bike or oil. Still shake my head when I think about it... More isn't always better.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the peace of mind guys! But before I saw any of your replies I ended up taking about. 0.4L out for it to be perfectly at the max line.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
When my bike was overfilled, I found that I had a lot of vibration that could be felt through the bars.
I ended using a straw taped to a turkey baster and I slowly sucked out oil a little at a time until I brought the level back down to the suggested amount.
Once I did that, the vibrations were gone.

That reminds me... I need to buy my wife a new turkey baster before the holidays :D

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Thanks for the peace of mind guys! But before I saw any of your replies I ended up taking about. 0.4L out for it to be perfectly at the max line.
You win on the dealership overfill, I only drained out 340 mL today (0.36 qt)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts