Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Over tight bolts

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  squirdle 
#1 ·
I've been doing a bit on the bike today, sorting out the forks for some clip-ons. I struggled to undo the bolts on the triple clamps. After torquing them back up using capitalviews chart, I'm pretty sure they were too tight to begin with. Anyone else found this when you've been working on your bikes?

#2 ·
Rear brake master cylinder bolts were ungodly tight. I actually bent an Allen key trying to break it free. Some guys have torn the head and had to drill them out. Oil filter was almost as ridiculous. You can pretty much expect this on a new bike. My other bike had similar problems.

#6 ·
I think its just a Yamaha thing. The FZ07, fully assembled and made in Japan has similar issues with gorilla tightened bolts.

I have been working on my Z1000 recently and haven't found extremely tight bolts yet, but I will also be changing the oil in the next few days so I'll get to compare how tight the drain plug and filter are relative to Yamaha.

#5 ·
Not sure if the dealer or factory installs the rear wheel and sets the chain slack, but my chain was so tight, there was practically zero play. I would literally have to pull the wheel back as hard as possible on purpose to set the chain the same way it came on my bike. I'm glad it didn't snap on the ride home. Should have checked it at the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.