Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum

I have a used 2015 r3 that is just at its first service. I havent really rode yet and am very much a beginner but was just playing with it on my driveway and just the little local road, enough that you can move around but not at any speed. i did this both today and yesterday both having the engine run for probably 20 mins each and after that 20 mins of essentially idling the temp gauge was at full and even was flashing. clearly it shouldn't be overheating with that minimal use. Checked fluids and everything is fine level wise. What could be the possible issues. Im most likely going to take it to the dealer i got it from, but it would be nice to have some idea what the possiblities are.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't run it that way.
The radiator Coolant is probably not topped up and its running dry.
This will make the engine overheat.
This happened to me when I took my R3 for the Clutch plate recall.
Here is a video of the same. Bike overheated within minutes and I had no clue what to do :(

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Wild 4$$ guessing, low coolant or busted water pump, or your engine seal is broke and a leak is air-locking the water pump, if that's possible on a bike. (My VW Jetta did that to me at least.) Hah, I missed the obvious one CV mentions below.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't run it that way.
The radiator Coolant is probably not topped up and its running dry.
This will make the engine overheat.
This happened to me when I took my R3 for the Clutch plate recall.
Here is a video of the same. Bike overheated within minutes and I had no clue what to do :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3FrAMz8xo
Wow the same thing happened to me after I took it in for a recall. The issue was that the air within the coolant hadn't been properly burped.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Did the cooling fan turn on?
Everyone has great points and ideas, and @Capitalview 's is vital too. The fan is pretty loud; if you're idling at a light or something, you should hear the fan kick on to compensate for lack of airflow over the radiator. Check your coolant level on the left side just under the left side of your seat. Something is definitely fishy.

The thermostat could be jacked up, though you need to check the other posisble root causes first. Make sure your engine oil is at a correct level too. That effects engine temp too. Definitely bleed you radiator-like @R3-D3 mentioned-there could be some fart bubbles hanging around in your system. Let us know how it goes. Do not run it for prolonged periods or let it overheat or you'll be more in a world of pain.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
One easy thing you can try right off the bat...

Let it cool off, pop off the radiator cap and make sure the fluid is full, fire up the bike and just let it idle for a few minutes. You can also flip the bike a little side to side while sitting on the bike while it's running.
If the thing needs minor burping, doing that a few times may get the air out and helps to get things flowing again.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Burping can be a pita. I drained *all* the coolant out of my Honda Fit, and found out the thermostat brains was on the dry side after refilling ... 8 hours overnight to wait for it to leak by was the forum-recommended procedure!!! Perhaps better to swap about 20-25% each year vs everything every 4-5 years. You can kinda lean a light bike around though, in an attempt to burp.

Z4 was nice, no thermostat, as the coolant pump is electric, and simply stops spinning (vs thermostat closing). So the system doesn't get cut in half trying to refill.

·
Registered
346 Posts
One easy thing you can try right off the bat...

Let it cool off, pop off the radiator cap and make sure the fluid is full, fire up the bike and just let it idle for a few minutes. You can also flip the bike a little side to side while sitting on the bike while it's running.
If the thing needs minor burping, doing that a few times may get the air out and helps to get things flowing again.
This is exactly right, and burping is a pain in the ass, more so in cars as it usually has more hose length. Doing this will force fluid to move and allows the air bubbles to equalize to air pressure which should force them out of the open radiator cap. Just make sure to add fluid if you have bubbles come out, if the fluid gets too low in the radiator you'll still have air bubbles. There's also a service manual here for it which should cover the yamaha recommended procedure step by step in gross detail :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to necro the thread, I've just got the same problem and haven't been able to solve it. Bike ONLY heats up at idle, as soon as it's going, (even slowly) the temp goes straight down to 3 bars. But idling, it slowly keeps creeping up to max. Strangely, if I hold the rpm's at 3000, it starts to come down again.

1. Coolant levels checked
2. Fan turns on
3. Coolant pump is working, hoses are pretty hot.
4. Yamaha dealer tried resetting the bike, I'm not sure if that would help if it's a thermostat thing. Problem persists.
5. Trying getting air bubbles out, running with the radiator cap off and leaning the bike side to side quickly.

Anything else to try? I'm at the end of my **** rope, will try flushing coolant when I have some time but **** busy these days.
Any tips to flushing coolant and doing it without air bubbles?

·
Super Moderator
1,176 Posts
All good points and ideas. But from those of us who grew up(or not) with older bikes before liquid cooling, radiators, and fans were the norm, it's Never a good idea to let any engine idle for that length of time without airflow to cool the engine. It's just a poor practice that could cause overheating even if the rest of the system is working properly. And yes, you should still be listening for the fan. That by itself is pretty much a dead give-away while trouble shooting an overheating problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts