Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just wondering where people that rent apt/condo/etc. park their bikes? As in, how do you secure your bike when you have to park in a communal parking lot?

I plan on getting full coverage, but having my bike stolen would still suck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in an apartment. I use a disc lock and cover as well as lock the steering with the ignition. And I have full coverage insurance.

Reactions: bbsteinnewyork

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm in an apartment, but generally theft/destruction is not an issue in the area where I live- mostly retirees and familes. There are many other bikes in the complex dotted around as well.

So my bike is parked outside, under cover. I have a clear view of the lot from my apartment.

Both the car and bike have full insurance coverage. Locking the steering via ignition is a no-brainer- I do it all the time everywhere unless if I'm transporting it to the track or on a stand where the wheel needs to be straight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a Reddit post about a confessed bike thief and his story. He tells of how it all worked, why it worked, and how to do best case to keep your bike yours ;). Look it up in reddit.com since I don't have the link ready sorry.
Get a bike lock a huge one made for motorcycles. Get a cover and don't let anyone see you cover it and spend extra time covering it like your doing some security things. The bike thief said that covers were avoided since they couldn't tell what was done under it to secure the bike.
If they want it there is nothing to do but rent a bottom floor apt and bring it in your apt.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Fool proof method, attach a gas can (with water) or other similar device to a lock on the cover run some wires to it and make it look like an IED >_<. Nobody ought to mess with it then! All joking aside, it's really sad seeing all the recent my bike was stolen from apartments, hit and runs damaging bikes etc... Number one most important thing, keep your insurance up to date and make sure it covers everything...

Or find an apartment with a garage, I wouldn't have an apartment without it because of my car/bike or at least detached.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts