Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few front end slides in the 600 miles I'd done on the bike. The first few I put it down to my riding technique with not having been back on 2 wheels for some time. When it happened on a nice gentle sweeping corner, not going too quick, it made me think about it a bit more.

I have to say I was sceptical when I read about the stock tyres and how bad people said they were. However, after a biggish front end moment, I took the plunge and changed to the Rosso IIs. Just done 65 miles on them, doing a similar route to one of our regular rides, covering quite a lot of the same roads. Right now, I'm not sure if some of it is with the thought of 'new tyres, got to be better' psychology (the mind works in strange ways) but here are my first impressions....

The bike feels like it tips into the corner quicker, but then there seems to be more resistance on the bars, before it felt light and twitchy. As the ride went on my corner speed definitely increased, and it felt steadier leant over. Powering out of a corner whilst leant over, again, it felt steady and inspired more confidence. At a few of our stops, I felt the tyres, and they were noticibly warmer and stickier than the stocks...they never really seemed to warm up!

Is it the tyres? Or have I just kidded myself into having more confidence? Time will tell as I get out more, hoping this dry warm spell stays a while longer.

Reactions: matrix22

·
Registered
15 Posts
The stockers are by no means great, but i was very surprised by the grip they have. I took the R3 out to NJMP Thunderbolt, and threw that thing around, and never had a complaint from the tires. It was more of a trust thing that stopped me from really going at it, but it was a good pace.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not had any kind of problem with the rear, it's always been the front, and that has been unpredictable. I'm not going to say the stocks are rubbish, as I still don't know if it's just me, but when it happens it feels like the bikes going down, then it regrips and carries on as before.

The temperature here hasn't been great, not sure if that's part of it. I'll be honest, it had started to knock my confidence on the bike and have been slowing down far more than what's really needed to corner.

Even after just 65 miles I've scrubbed the new tyres to roughly the same as the stocks.

One of my riding friends said even if it was in my head, and the new tyres have changed that, then it was money well spent. More miles will be the real test, still gaining confidence on 2 wheels, 680 miles after a long time away isn't that much really!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Don't worry about it. You did good. Your new tires are much better than the stock ones.
You have more confidence now. Problem solved. Have fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the best ride I've had, sunshine and warmer temperatures make all the difference...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely, was originally going to get the S20s but got 'mates rates' on the Pirellis. Good luck for the track!

Reactions: withoutequal

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had a few front end slides in the 600 miles I'd done on the bike. The first few I put it down to my riding technique with not having been back on 2 wheels for some time. When it happened on a nice gentle sweeping corner, not going too quick, it made me think about it a bit more.

I have to say I was sceptical when I read about the stock tyres and how bad people said they were. However, after a biggish front end moment, I took the plunge and changed to the Rosso IIs. Just done 65 miles on them, doing a similar route to one of our regular rides, covering quite a lot of the same roads. Right now, I'm not sure if some of it is with the thought of 'new tyres, got to be better' psychology (the mind works in strange ways) but here are my first impressions....

The bike feels like it tips into the corner quicker, but then there seems to be more resistance on the bars, before it felt light and twitchy. As the ride went on my corner speed definitely increased, and it felt steadier leant over. Powering out of a corner whilst leant over, again, it felt steady and inspired more confidence. At a few of our stops, I felt the tyres, and they were noticibly warmer and stickier than the stocks...they never really seemed to warm up!

Is it the tyres? Or have I just kidded myself into having more confidence? Time will tell as I get out more, hoping this dry warm spell stays a while longer.
A bit of both I surmise, you have more confidence because of your faith in the new tires. The new tires are better, in every respect to the stock ones, and likewise your confidence in them shows in the added responsiveness of your bike.

Days of Thunder "If you go to the outside, you can hold", faith is a positive thing man, in your life and in your bike, regardless of the catalyst.;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably is a bit of both. Had a good 120 mile ride today and the bike feels great, having much more fun on it now. Lots more heat in the tyres when we stopped for a break.

840 miles done now and have been opening it up more and more. Even surprised my friend as he'd opened up on some tightish bends and was ready to slow down, then he realised I was right behind him.

Alls good :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Probably is a bit of both. Had a good 120 mile ride today and the bike feels great, having much more fun on it now. Lots more heat in the tyres when we stopped for a break.

840 miles done now and have been opening it up more and more. Even surprised my friend as he'd opened up on some tightish bends and was ready to slow down, then he realised I was right behind him.

Alls good
Absolutely right, man. Had the dealer mount the DR2s on my R3 yesterday. The stability was apparent immediately - very inspiring. Just gotta take it easy for a bit and scrub them in well. After that, let the games begin...

Have fun, and be safe out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Confidence.

Wow, that is definitely some confidence. Like your initial thoughts, I don't feel the stock tires are too horrible. However I don't think the stock tires will ever wear like the Rossos you have pictured and I don't think that's a good thing.

Do you have any other suspension mods? After experiencing both, do you feel it's a no brainer to switch the OEM tires out? Are you in the "OEM tires are garbage" ship now?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow, that is definitely some confidence. Like your initial thoughts, I don't feel the stock tires are too horrible. However I don't think the stock tires will ever wear like the Rossos you have pictured and I don't think that's a good thing.

Do you have any other suspension mods? After experiencing both, do you feel it's a no brainer to switch the OEM tires out? Are you in the "OEM tires are garbage" ship now?

415 Born and Raised, Bayview Hunter's Point! I went with the Rosso II's based on the criticisms of the Pilot Streets. I wanted to do track days and didn't want to be hindered by second guessing the tires. I still have the Pilot Streets in the garage if I need to swap out in the future. No other mods so far. Learning to ride with the suspension I have to not mask any flaws in my technique. Rossos are great but if the track temps are over 110-130 F degrees, they will grease up 5 minutes in a session. I felt my rear squirming under me on sweepers, maybe my tire pressure was too high and the top layers were scrubbing off as you can see in the pic, the rubber was just rolling off, not a real digging INTO the tire compound. Love these tires. If it's in your means to get these tires, and if you're going to ride to the max, scraping toe sliders or pegs and banging off the limiter (vtec daily), yeah, go for it! I'm not gonna say the Streets are garbage, it's just not what I wanted to use for track. I do street too, not an elitist.

·
Registered
19 Posts
415 Born and Raised, Bayview Hunter's Point! I went with the Rosso II's based on the criticisms of the Pilot Streets. I wanted to do track days and didn't want to be hindered by second guessing the tires. I still have the Pilot Streets in the garage if I need to swap out in the future. No other mods so far. Learning to ride with the suspension I have to not mask any flaws in my technique. Rossos are great but if the track temps are over 110-130 F degrees, they will grease up 5 minutes in a session. I felt my rear squirming under me on sweepers, maybe my tire pressure was too high and the top layers were scrubbing off as you can see in the pic, the rubber was just rolling off, not a real digging INTO the tire compound. Love these tires. If it's in your means to get these tires, and if you're going to ride to the max, scraping toe sliders or pegs and banging off the limiter (vtec daily), yeah, go for it! I'm not gonna say the Streets are garbage, it's just not what I wanted to use for track. I do street too, not an elitist.
DUDE! Born and raised in SF, right outside of Hunter's Point. Once I read that you were born and raised in SF, I looked at your tire pic to see what road that was. (No many roads offer a ride where you can push a tire that hard out here.) Then I saw that you're in NC.. =(

I use my R3 mainly for commuting and the occasional joy ride. Being so, I rarely get the opportunity to really lean the bike over, let alone maximum lean to drag peg. (You're probably familiar with SF traffic.) So my plan was to wear the stock tires down, since I mainly commute and move onto the Rosso when the time came. But if these were night and day, I was tempted to swap them out earlier. Seems like for my current use, I can probably get away with the Streets, at least until I get the desire to put the R3 on track.

Thanks for the reply! Are you on BARF by any chance?

·
Registered
364 Posts
DUDE! Born and raised in SF, right outside of Hunter's Point. Once I read that you were born and raised in SF, I looked at your tire pic to see what road that was. (No many roads offer a ride where you can push a tire that hard out here.) Then I saw that you're in NC.. =(

I use my R3 mainly for commuting and the occasional joy ride. Being so, I rarely get the opportunity to really lean the bike over, let alone maximum lean to drag peg. (You're probably familiar with SF traffic.) So my plan was to wear the stock tires down, since I mainly commute and move onto the Rosso when the time came. But if these were night and day, I was tempted to swap them out earlier. Seems like for my current use, I can probably get away with the Streets, at least until I get the desire to put the R3 on track.

Thanks for the reply! Are you on BARF by any chance?
I'm on Barf...lol

OP: What size rear did you switch to? 140 or 150 rear?

I tried a set of OEM take-offs from the RC390 at Sonoma this past Friday and tires were great. Best lap was 2:12 but this was my first outing on the R3 at Sonoma and second time at Sonoma itself so learning new lines and trying to setup the geometry all day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
phase12, go to Guadalupe Canyon, off Bayshore and Geneva, towards Brisbane. You will end up in Daly City. O'Shaughnessey, up by McAteer High, Monterrey Blvd off 280 going up Diamond Heights, Bernal Heights by Cesar Chavez, Twin Peaks, Redwood Rd above Oakland, Palomares Rd in Sunol. You have plenty of roads. That tire wear you see is not street, it's track. Ride safe! If you want an all day challenge, go to Mines Rd in Livermore. It will lead you all the way to San Jose through Mt Hamilton to Alum Rock Rd. Do that one time, and you will feel like a champion. It's twisty and a 1 lane road sometimes, take your time, don't race through it. Just enjoy it. Get gas first! You don't want to run out up there. Bring a buddy, safer. matrix22 BARF. same name.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm on Barf...lol

OP: What size rear did you switch to? 140 or 150 rear?

I tried a set of OEM take-offs from the RC390 at Sonoma this past Friday and tires were great. Best lap was 2:12 but this was my first outing on the R3 at Sonoma and second time at Sonoma itself so learning new lines and trying to setup the geometry all day.

I'm so jelly Doc. Infineon. What are the take offs? Diablo Corsa or Rosso II?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts