Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my Pit Bull rear stand today and did the first oil change at 604 miles. If anyone gets the forward handle model for rear spools the lowest setting for the stand lifts the bike to the right height. All you'll have to do is set the width.

Reactions: Bird

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Received my Pit Bull rear stand today and did the first oil change at 604 miles. If anyone gets the forward handle model for rear spools the lowest setting for the stand lifts the bike to the right height. All you'll have to do is set the width.
I just got a Pitbull rear stand (forward handle) as well. Came last night and I used it for my first oil change. Stand worked perfectly and just as you said, the lowest setting was just right for the R3.

Also, they tell you that you need to bring the side stand up before pushing the rear stand handle down. I tested this last night and I was able to put the bike up onto the stand with the side stand still down... plenty of clearance between the forward handle and the stand.

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Why would you opt for the forward-handle stand instead of the "regular" rear stand? It seemed to me that it would be harder to line up the spool on the far side, so I got a regular rear stand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why would you opt for the forward-handle stand instead of the "regular" rear stand? It seemed to me that it would be harder to line up the spool on the far side, so I got a regular rear stand.
I got mine for $25 when I bought my last bike. When I do track days it makes it significantly easier to get the bike on the stand when you don't have a kickstand available (needs to be restrained for track days). However on the R3, if using it from behind it's really a pain in the ass. Since there is that bar in the middle you need to have it set to the tallest setting and it raises the bike WAY off the ground.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Two reasons.

1- I feel I can balance the bike upright with one hand better while holding the left side grip. Aligning the spools is easy for me. I suppose it's because I'm tall enough to see over the other side of the bike while placing the stand.

2- Once on the stand, I can push the bike back against the wall in my garage until the tire touches. This saves me some space in the garage and also avoids a possible tripping hazard as well.

Both designs have their pros and cons. This one just fits my needs better and I find it really easy to use.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Two reasons.

1- I feel I can balance the bike upright with one hand better while holding the left side grip. Aligning the spools is easy for me. I suppose it's because I'm tall enough to see over the other side of the bike while placing the stand.

2- Once on the stand, I can push the bike back against the wall in my garage until the tire touches. This saves me some space in the garage and also avoids a possible tripping hazard as well.

Both designs have their pros and cons. This one just fits my needs better and I find it really easy to use.

Did you get a chance to ride after doing the oil change? Felt any difference? For me it was evident the second I hit the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you get a chance to ride after doing the oil change? Felt any difference? For me it was evident the second I hit the road!

How so was it different?? Some kind of secret koolaid oil.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How so was it different?? Some kind of secret koolaid oil.

Haha! No secret oil, I actually just went with Yamalube for first oil change. The engine and the ride in general just felt a lot smoother.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have 2 sets of stands. One has the forward handle, the other to the rear. I grab the forward handle every time unless I need to have two bikes lifted at the same time. Much easier to balance the bike and lift.

It really is this easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duHkDtS9we0

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Just cruised in to work (50 miles)
A lot of the smoothness may just be placebo effect but two things are absolutely certain after my long ride in.

1) The bike shifts quite a bit smoother... especially when downshifting.

2) There is some vibration in the bars now. How much? Not a ton but during low speeds while moving slowly in traffic, I can feel it clearly, even with bar ends installed. Doesn't seem to be an issue at higher speeds though.

·
Registered
761 Posts
There is some vibration in the bars now. How much? Not a ton but during low speeds while moving slowly in traffic, I can feel it clearly, even with bar ends installed. Doesn't seem to be an issue at higher speeds though.
I install these on every bike to help with vibes. Worth every penny... They also build up the diameter. My hands hurt on the sport bike grips.

Can't recommend them enough!!

www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJAH5M

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I install these on every bike to help with vibes. Worth every penny... They also build up the diameter. My hands hurt on the sport bike grips.

Can't recommend them enough!!

www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJAH5M
They just slip right over the existing grips?

*EDIT*
They seem to get great reviews. I'm trusting your lead and I've already ordered a set.
Can't wait to try them... I'll keep you posted.
Thanks!

·
Registered
761 Posts
They just slip right over the existing grips?
Yep! 2 minute job. You trim them to length with scissors. I install with trimmed end first so the nicer edge is on the outer edge.

Take a glass of water ~1 cup. put 3 drops of dish soap and stir. I take a butter knife and dunk it in the mixture and wet the insides of the grip cover. Once inside is wet, just twist and spin into place. Once dry, it does not move. You can peel them off and reuse on another bike without damaging them. They peel off (turn inside out). Then just turn them right side out and repeat the install process.

Best $10-$12 ever spent on my bikes.

These are photos of my RAM mount, but you can still see the grip covers installed.

·
Registered
761 Posts
They seem to get great reviews. I'm trusting your lead and I've already ordered a set.
Can't wait to try them... I'll keep you posted.
Thanks!
Awesome!! I have used them for more than 7 years. They used to be marketed as "grip puppies" but i could not find them under that name anymore. These are the exact same thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Just curious if you tried out the grip covers?
They came last night and I installed them immediately. They look and feel great but the weather didn't let me ride to work today. If there's a break in the rain, I'll try them over the weekend. If not, I won't have a chance to test them until Tuesday next week.
They feel great though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts