Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

(Hope I posted this in the right spot, first forum best ever lol, so not sure exactly how this all works)

So waiting to pick up my R3 from the dealer as soon as the recall if fixed I went to my local dealer Yamaha Sports Plaza in Fairview, Or yesterday and Dan said he could sell me a bike then and there but couldn't let me ride off on it. :/. He's waiting on the lift of VINs

Wanted to know if anybody here has bought from them. Dan seemed like a cool and honest guy but just wanted to see if anybody has 1st hand experience dealing with them. d. Left my number and told him to give me a call when he finds out. $5,365 OTD dealer isn't charging any other fees for set up or anything. Just the bike and DMV fees :)

Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA is partnered with Costco so I may go check them out this weekend too, see if the pricing is gonna be any different but Dan is located 5 min from me so wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks to stay local here especially if I've get good feedback and reviews.

I had a question on the R3 though, I've looked on the Yamaha site and they listed only a Matte Grey color for the 2016 (along with red and blue) but these guys only had glossy black listed as 2016. I'm wondering if these are actually 2015 models maybe? Late production? Or is there an actual 2016 gloss black version of the R3? Dan said they're getting the Matte color in soon but didn't have any at the time.

I was pretty much sold on the RC390 until I jumped on the forums and started reading the horror stories on these bikes. Seems like it's a hit or miss on how well the Bike was built, but I'm excited for the R3 and seems to be loved by everybody from new to experienced riders.

I started riding last year and bought a 78 Honda Hawk II (CB400). Love the bike, still have it but as anybody knows who has an older bike, there's always something going out or something to work on. I've also rode my buddy's 2006 Daytona 675. I ride it comfortably, problems with it, but I'd honestly prefer a smaller bike than this.

So that's why I'm looking at the R3. Want something a bit more sporty and reliable I can just jump on for work when I don't wanna commute by bicycle (car was totaled a few years ago which is why I turned to bicycles and motorcycles, stupid 17y/o pulled out infront of me out of a driveway).

Plan on taking a few small trips up to Tri Cities area and also to Bend. Don't think the old Hawk would be up for it, and frankly I don't trust it for long trips. lol.

Excited and can't wait to get it!

-Nito

Sorry for the long(now a bit longer intro).

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I had a question on the R3 though, I've looked on the Yamaha site and they listed only a Matte Grey color for the 2016 (along with red and blue) but these guys only had glossy black listed as 2016. I'm wondering if these are actually 2015 models maybe? Late production? Or is there an actual 2016 gloss black version of the R3? Dan said they're getting the Matte color in soon but didn't have any at the time.
Welcome Nito!

To answer your question... there are absolutely no 2016 Raven Black R3's. If it's a gloss black bike, it's a 2015. The 2016 Matte Grays are definitely hard to come by. My dealer got one in about a month before I was ready to buy and once I learned it was the only one they were getting this year, I bought it on the spot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AesonVirus!

That's what I was thinking too but wasn't 100%. Matte Black it is then!

Glossy black = Raven, good to know. Lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Holy heck, I was going to get an RC390 for my girl before choosing the R3.

I just went to the first RC forum from googling, looked at their engine and tech board and looked at their how many miles + problem topic. Man... that is just... man.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, got off the phone with the dealer, he said all the models on the floor were affected by the recall and they'll be receiving their repaid kits any day now. He also mentioned he has a 2016 matte Grey on its way in and isn't sure if it's gonna need the repair or if it'll be fixed at the factory. Should have it soon hopefully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked up the R3! So excited! I went for the 2016 red/white. It won me over after debating for so long. Plus I didn't want to wait for the matte grey.
$5,336 OTD. Only paid for DMV chargers. No taxes in Oregon and dealer didn't charge me setup or freight fee.
.9mi on the Odometer.
Got a trip planned out to Bend in a few weeks. Which means I gotta put enough miles on it to get the first service done!
Safe riding every one.

Here's a pic next to my boy blue Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Auto part

Disregard the plywood in the garage. Just bought the house a month ago and previous owner laid it down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A pic at work. Gotta love covered parking.

Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive design Scooter

First mods will be of course FE, looking at vagabond. akropovic GP slip on and some frame sliders. I have some bar end mirrors that I'm thinking about throwing on, just gotta figure out how I'd be installing them since I'm missing a few pieces. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts