Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for deals on tires now and one of the dealers around mentioned the new Bridgestone S21 vs the S20 EVO. The only issue, is they do not offer the S21 rear tire in 140/70/17, the closest is 150/60/17. They do offer 110/70/17 for the front though. (http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr138/)

I've read through this thread http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/538-tires/5753-changing-tire-sizes.html - would I be dumb to size up my rear? Should I stick to the S20 EVO's? These tires are mainly for street/canyon use, I do not have intentions on tracking my motorcycle.... Yet. Spending more money wouldn't be an issue, especially if I'm getting a superior tire.

I also spoke to Kevin H. at Bridgestone Americas and he did confirm there will be no production of a 140 sized S21.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The s20's were good for me with the stock sizes. I have 2000 miles on mine and they can probably go another 1000 or 2000 miles. They were pretty inexpensive. The s21's look like the are even better but you have to go oversize in the back which in my opinion, would actually look better. I think 160/60's would be the same height based on the calculator. (double check that)

I've heard that its better to stay stock width to get 100% performance out of the tires, but i'm sure the average weekend rider would never ride fast enough to get to the level where it actually mattered. I enjoy riding the backroads, but I'm probably only using the tires at 60% of their capacity,but to me it feels fast. If I'm going 60 mph around a corner, A good rider could probably be going 90 mph around the same corner on stock tires. It's not the tires holding me back, its me. If I needed new tires I'd probably put the S21's on, 150 or 160's, If you want the ultimate in performance see if you can get a pair of s10's, tires are pretty cheap in our sizes. ECC changed my tires while I waited. I rode my bike there and they mounted them while I waited. They even match internet prices for me on my s20s.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The s20's were good for me with the stock sizes. I have 2000 miles on mine and they can probably go another 1000 or 2000 miles. They were pretty inexpensive. The s21's look like the are even better but you have to go oversize in the back which in my opinion, would actually look better. I think 160/60's would be the same height based on the calculator. (double check that)

I've heard that its better to stay stock width to get 100% performance out of the tires, but i'm sure the average weekend rider would never ride fast enough to get to the level where it actually mattered. I enjoy riding the backroads, but I'm probably only using the tires at 60% of their capacity,but to me it feels fast. If I'm going 60 mph around a corner, A good rider could probably be going 90 mph around the same corner on stock tires. It's not the tires holding me back, its me. If I needed new tires I'd probably put the S21's on, 150 or 160's, If you want the ultimate in performance see if you can get a pair of s10's, tires are pretty cheap in our sizes. ECC changed my tires while I waited. I rode my bike there and they mounted them while I waited. They even match internet prices for me on my s20s.
Good to know, thanks for your input. I'll call and see if NC Yamaha (same street as ECC) will do the same as far as matching internet pricing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts