Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! >:D

I will be completing my MSF next weekend (did it years ago but got talked out of buying a bike so I never finished the written portion) and plan on purchasing a bike in the coming months. I instantly gravitated towards the R3 as I want something that looks sporty, you sit a little more upright, light weight, and not fast enough to get into too much trouble with. I also don't have plans to get a different bike even after learning more about riding so I'm really hoping the bike fits my size.

I'm on the more slender side being 5'7" weighing in around 140. Any chances that I will have trouble holding this bike up at that size? I'll likely be going to check the bike out in the coming weeks and was curious on what I should expect.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am 5'6" and 117lbs and the bike is laughably light. Probably one of the lightest full size street bikes you will ever get on. Your weight really has no bearing on keeping a bike upright. My other bike is a 500lbs liter bike. Its more or less your inseam, how well your feet is placed on the ground and the wheel position (never come to a stop and then have the front wheel turned while you are a beginner). Some people find it much easier to just keep one foot fully flat down instead of having both feet down on tippy toes or at just not flat footed in general.

So you won't necessarily feel the weight of the bike when you are stopped. It takes very little effort to keep the bike upright when stopped. One thing I like to do is when the bike is off and standing still, I put both feet up and see how long I can balance the bike without putting the feet down again. I did this the other day on my 500lbs bike and I think I hit 3 seconds. Yes, that's how easy it is to keep the bike upright.

If you end up with a cruiser in your MSF (high chance to do so), you will find that the R3 is easier to hold up than a cruiser. Reason being a cruiser is lower to the ground so all the weight is compacted making it seem heavier once it reaches a certain tilt point.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm 5'7" 150lbs and can flat foot at preload setting 4. The R3 is light and easy to maneuver. Just make sure the R3 you're buying has the recall done. Don't buy used without documents showing recall was performed and signed off by a Yamaha certified mechanic and franchise dealership. Lots of shady people selling bikes out there. I told 4 potential buyers for my R3 to wait until the recall is done. Goodluck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 5'6" and 117lbs and the bike is laughably light. Probably one of the lightest full size bikes you will ever get on. Your weight really has no bearing on keeping a bike upright. My other bike is a 500lbs liter bike.

If you end up with a cruiser in your MSF (high chance to do so), you will find that the R3 is easier to hold up than a cruiser. Reason being a cruiser is lower to the ground so all the weight is compacted making it seem heavier once it reaches a certain tilt point.
Thats good to hear, thanks! Yes I've ridden a 250 Rebel before and I'm sure that is what will be at the course as well. I recall it being very light and I assume it is around the same weight as the R3. But I assume the seat height is much lower on the rebels

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 5'7" 150lbs and can flat foot at preload setting 4. The R3 is light and easy to maneuver. Just make sure the R3 you're buying has the recall done. Don't buy used without documents showing recall was performed and signed off by a Yamaha certified mechanic and franchise dealership. Lots of shady people selling bikes out there. I told 4 potential buyers for my R3 to wait until the recall is done. Goodluck.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks! I have been reading about the recall the last few days. Last I read it wasn't official yet in the US, has that changed?

I have been contemplating buying Used/New the last few days and can't decide what I want to do. I've bought my last few cars brand new, and have come to like that because I'm a stickler for maintenance. With this bike though they seem to drop 1-1.5k basically right away based on what I'm seeing on craigslist in my area. That difference may be worth it since I seem to see a lot with less than 3k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks! I have been reading about the recall the last few days. Last I read it wasn't official yet in the US, has that changed?

I have been contemplating buying Used/New the last few days and can't decide what I want to do. I've bought my last few cars brand new, and have come to like that because I'm a stickler for maintenance. With this bike though they seem to drop 1-1.5k basically right away based on what I'm seeing on craigslist in my area. That difference may be worth it since I seem to see a lot with less than 3k miles on the clock.
I called Yamaha USA and they said the recall is official. I'm waiting for my dealership to order the parts. Used is a good idea if it's the first bike and you'll save over $1000. Motorcycles also depreciate 20% once rode off the dealer lot. I only bought new because I found a left over 2015 for $4993 out the door. I like new bikes too. But many R3s are bought by beginners and 3000 miles is enough for a new rider to want to move up to a 600cc supersport or bigger.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My wife is 5'1 and can handle this bike easily. Weight wise, it feels like a toy compared to almost everything else I've ever ridden, barring the first gen ninja 250.

If you are willing to wait a bit and miss this summer of riding, you can probably find some great deals on r3s come the fall. Lots of people are looking to move up and dealers are looking to dump off the last model year, so it's win win either way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife is 5'1 and can handle this bike easily. Weight wise, it feels like a toy compared to almost everything else I've ever ridden, barring the first gen ninja 250.

If you are willing to wait a bit and miss this summer of riding, you can probably find some great deals on r3s come the fall. Lots of people are looking to move up and dealers are looking to dump off the last model year, so it's win win either way
Since I am finishing the course next weekend I'm not sure that I can wait till after summer season :crying:, I know myself all too well. That said I'm not in a rush to buy, I'm not just going to drive to Yamaha the next day and buy a bike. I've bought several new cars and know the dealer game. Luckily I live in Texas so I can ALMOST ride year round, but I do imagine there is still a "summer season" here even though its basically warm all year round.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello! I'm about 5'8 150lbs and this bike is super short and easy to flat foot. Not to mention super light. I do gym often, so im not sure if that helps, but it is extremely easy to toss this bike around and have no issues shifting the bike right to left back n forth. Very easy bike to ride and you probably will never get into any real trouble, speed wise, on this bike as the power is extremely manageable. I started off on a 600cc and this is my 2nd bike and its worlds different. On a 600 you can feel the front lift if you put on too much throttle. On the R3 I can twist the heck out of it and I will still stay planted. Only one way I feel you could get into trouble is if you dont rev match your downshifts and skip your rear wheels. (DONT do that on turns) lol. You should be fine though. Great first bike and it will treat you well. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts