Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so sorry if I'm asking a repetitive question but I struggled to find exactly what I need to know.
I installed the akropovic full exhaust system on my 2018 R3, and until the engine light recently came on didn't realise you need to make other changes.
I'm not sure of all the items I need. A power commander (what one for my bike i'm not sure) / a block off plate?/ and a fuel injection system and then I take it to get Dyno tuned? any help is appreciated or if you could just link me to the info. cheers

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
Hey, so sorry if I'm asking a repetitive question but I struggled to find exactly what I need to know.
I installed the akropovic full exhaust system on my 2018 R3, and until the engine light recently came on didn't realise you need to make other changes.
I'm not sure of all the items I need. A power commander (what one for my bike i'm not sure) / a block off plate?/ and a fuel injection system and then I take it to get Dyno tuned? any help is appreciated or if you could just link me to the info. cheers
Don't get a Power commander, get either a ECU flash or aRacer.

Read more here, as well as everything you need.

Power Commander vs. Bazzaz vs. ECU Flash vs. aRacer Race ECU

Norton Racing Race Spec ECU Flash for OEM ECU – Yamaha R3 / MT-03

aRacer SpeedTek RC Mini X Race ECU – Yamaha R3 / MT-03

Norton Racing Smog Block Off Plate and AIS Removal Kit – Yamaha R3 / MT-03

· Registered
53 Posts
You should make sure it is not running lean before you ride it again so you don't damage the engine. Then to do it right you need to decide if you want to open up the intake by an air box mod, better air filter, then either have it dyno tuned, or get a fuel controller with a map file for Power Commander. If you buy the EJK fuel controller you don't need a flash as you adjust the settings yourself. I have installed the EJK on 2 bikes, and am happy with the results.

Reactions: LZYDOG

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You should make sure it is not running lean before you ride it again so you don't damage the engine. Then to do it right you need to decide if you want to open up the intake by an air box mod, better air filter, then either have it dyno tuned, or get a fuel controller with a map file for Power Commander. If you buy the EJK fuel controller you don't need a flash as you adjust the settings yourself. I have installed the EJK on 2 bikes, and am happy with the results.
Okay thanks, will need to do some research into the air filter stuff, at the moment I plan to buy one of the recommended ECUs (most likely aRacer) but am trying to find one to work, as I have a NZ model with the BR5 connection/chassis? Idk but I've contacted one of the sites to see if they'll get back to me on one that will work (for certain cause everything cost fkn heaps and has to be posted across the world) and then I'll just take it to a tuning place. I'd just love to know right now exactly what ECU to buy that would be the best for the bike/woukd work for the dyno tune. And I'm tempted to use the bike cause I've heard the full akro exhaust should be fine to run on, but since I've got a check engine light with no code I'll probably restrain myself from riding. Idk how I'd check if it's running lean personally, but suspect that's maybe the cause of the engine light.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, looking into finding an ARacer that fits the NZ/Australian model. Waiting on a reply from Norton Motorsports thatre selling them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts