Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed Akrapovic Slip on this weekend, When I originally got my bike, I didn't intend to get attatched to the bike, I just wanted to ride for few months then get the R6.

Anyway, ive fallen for this bike and have started the mods, Power commanders. Isit essential? does it make a huge difference, anyone whos looked into Power commander, is it something worth spending huge bucks on for barely noticeable change?

Let me know guys

·
Registered
346 Posts
The power commander is by no means necessary for your Akra slip-on. You'll notice a bit of improvement over the stock fueling, but at the end of the day its a perfect example of shelling out a wad of cash for a very minimal gain. Different story for full-exhausts, though. A proper tune with the full system will get you maybe 3-4 more hp max. If you have a full system you should definitely get a power commander, otherwise you'll see performance losses. Even with a power commander some people have still had some gripes with their full system.

It mostly just depends what you want out of your bike. If you are going to keep the R3 forever then maybe its worth it to you. If you think you might upgrade soon, definitely don't bother with the power commander. For me, I might get a slip-on but I probably won't get a power commander. I'mm 3000mi in and still content with the stock exhaust, especially since slip-ons don't do much for the sound anyway. Still deciding if I want to upgrade to something bigger the next year or so (I want more power but I love the size and nimbleness of the R3, haha), and even if I stick with the R3, I'd rather spend that $400 on insurance for two years, tires, gear, etc. than a power commander that will net me 3hp. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not an expert on this because I have not made any changes yet.
A full system will also remove the cat. converter which will probably require a fuel controller like PCV. You might end up spending more time fiddling and being aggravated rather than riding. Not fun.
I was reading about the EJK controller for the R3. It is sent set up for a slip on and a free flow filter like this -
https://tstindustries.com/BMC-Race-Air-Filter-2015-Yamaha-YZF-R3.html
Fine adjustments to the EJK are done with buttons rather than computer downloads and are instantly reversible .

·
Registered
196 Posts
The do I need a Power Commander (fuel controller) is probably the most beat to death question on every single motorcycle forum. It should be stickied on a faq

Anyway, in your case the answer is no. You don't need one. Because you still have the stock air filter stock header and stock cat.

If you get one, there will be some improvements in the bike's powerband behavior, even on a fully stock bike. PCV on my stock bike I noticed:
1) bike starts easier
2) extremely smooth, much improved closed throttle engine braking
3) more torque beginning around the middle of the powerband (7k rpm) which kicks
4) my wallet feels lighter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The power commander is by no means necessary for your Akra slip-on. You'll notice a bit of improvement over the stock fueling, but at the end of the day its a perfect example of shelling out a wad of cash for a very minimal gain. Different story for full-exhausts, though. A proper tune with the full system will get you maybe 3-4 more hp max. If you have a full system you should definitely get a power commander, otherwise you'll see performance losses. Even with a power commander some people have still had some gripes with their full system.

It mostly just depends what you want out of your bike. If you are going to keep the R3 forever then maybe its worth it to you. If you think you might upgrade soon, definitely don't bother with the power commander. For me, I might get a slip-on but I probably won't get a power commander. I'mm 3000mi in and still content with the stock exhaust, especially since slip-ons don't do much for the sound anyway. Still deciding if I want to upgrade to something bigger the next year or so (I want more power but I love the size and nimbleness of the R3, haha), and even if I stick with the R3, I'd rather spend that $400 on insurance for two years, tires, gear, etc. than a power commander that will net me 3hp. Of course, YMMV.

You know what, ive been seriously thinking about keeping the bike forever, I'm just in the process of painting the bike, so I will upload pics when its done. I'm from London and theres a term we use called boy racer. You know the type that fully kit out small litre engine cars. Putting dump valves, big exhausts and every mod under the sun to cars that don't go anywhere. Point is, I don't want to fit that shoe on a R3. I had a R125 years ago with a pipe, it soon became annoying because it was such a loud bike but it didn't go anyway.

I think your right though. for 3hp, the money for a full system, power commander, all the exra bits. Its not worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not an expert on this because I have not made any changes yet.
A full system will also remove the cat. converter which will probably require a fuel controller like PCV. You might end up spending more time fiddling and being aggravated rather than riding. Not fun.
I was reading about the EJK controller for the R3. It is sent set up for a slip on and a free flow filter like this -
https://tstindustries.com/BMC-Race-Air-Filter-2015-Yamaha-YZF-R3.html
Fine adjustments to the EJK are done with buttons rather than computer downloads and are instantly reversible .
Thanks for the suggestion, seems definitely worth while and worth the investment. Going straight power commander and full system would be a bit overkill anyway. Its currently out of stock on the link you gave, but shouldn't be a problem atleast now I know what to look for.

The time, cost and irreversible sound of the full system and the rest just seem long winded. Besides somedays you just want an easy cruise. With a full system your basically in racer mode 24/7. Thanks you've convinced me. Its not really for me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The do I need a Power Commander (fuel controller) is probably the most beat to death question on every single motorcycle forum. It should be stickied on a faq

Anyway, in your case the answer is no. You don't need one. Because you still have the stock air filter stock header and stock cat.

If you get one, there will be some improvements in the bike's powerband behavior, even on a fully stock bike. PCV on my stock bike I noticed:
1) bike starts easier
2) extremely smooth, much improved closed throttle engine braking
3) more torque beginning around the middle of the powerband (7k rpm) which kicks
4) my wallet feels lighter
I knew many people must have posted this topic before but I searched and couldn't find. Thanks for answering though. Its just one of those things that everyone will forever want the answer for.

After the feedback from some of you guys in the forum. Its more clear what a power commander does, the youtube videos don't help as most of the people filming videos on power commanders are retailers. They just want to bag a sale at the end of the day.

Salute to you for getting it done, somebody had to lead the way and review. I can kind of see the benefit of starting easier throughout the English weather. But for a couple 3hp increase I don't think its for me

I totally understand how important 3hp would be for a racetrack and every second counts etc. but for me, 3hp wouldn't get me to work any quicker, after all, I want my bike to be a head turner not a racing machine, but atleast you guys have cleared it up for me.

I'm sure my wallet would hve been left just as light had I gone power com, full system, air filter, header. so thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
424 Posts
People always forget they can flash their ecu's, you'll get better results and able to make more changes by flashing the ecu than buying a power commander and it'll cost the same amount. In my opinion an ecu flash and tune is definitely worth the money if you're planning on keeping the bike long term

·
Registered
113 Posts
I knew many people must have posted this topic before but I searched and couldn't find. Thanks for answering though. Its just one of those things that everyone will forever want the answer for.

After the feedback from some of you guys in the forum. Its more clear what a power commander does, the youtube videos don't help as most of the people filming videos on power commanders are retailers. They just want to bag a sale at the end of the day.

Salute to you for getting it done, somebody had to lead the way and review. I can kind of see the benefit of starting easier throughout the English weather. But for a couple 3hp increase I don't think its for me

I totally understand how important 3hp would be for a racetrack and every second counts etc. but for me, 3hp wouldn't get me to work any quicker, after all, I want my bike to be a head turner not a racing machine, but atleast you guys have cleared it up for me.

I'm sure my wallet would hve been left just as light had I gone power com, full system, air filter, header. so thanks for the heads up

Imo for a $269 mod it's second to better tires. I use Ethanol free gas with my PCV and it's really a breeze to toot around on. I don't regret getting it! But it is definitely not necessary. Then again, none these mods are!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts