Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something I've been thinking about for my bike next season since the weather is getting colder and closer to me winterizing it.

I installed an M4 street slayer exhaust on my bike and essentially it is a full exhaust system without the cat, except you just reuse the stock headers.

I'm pretty much new to everything, so would it be a good idea to invest in a power commander? And if I were to get one, do you just download a map on dynojet, program the power commander and that's it? Or is it a much more complicated system than that?

Thanks in advance!

Also I'm probably keeping this bike for awhile, so I'd like to put a little more work into it :)

Insurance on any other bike at my age is ridiculous...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey man!

The power commander is a great investment as it will make everything run smoother, especially with the new exhaust (less pops and regains some hp). I don't think there's a map for the M4 SS on dynojets website.

If you want the best results for your particular bike (since every R3 is modded and built slightly different) you should get it dyno tuned. They'll program the power commander with results of the tune so you will get the peak performance out of your bike :)

If you're going to get it dyno tuned, consider a smog block off plate + a performance air filter so you can get it tuned for the best power result.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If it's a long-term bike then I'ld recommend a power commander. It will run fine with a generic map downloaded off the web but will run better with a dyno tune. I'ld also suggest a block off plate regardless of if you choose to have it tuned or not. An aftermarket air filter really isn't going to accomplish anything though

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I looked at dynojet they really didn't have many maps to download think was only 4 or 5. I wanted to get the graves slip on but no map for that yet. The m4 wasn't listed either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you get a Power Commander, get the Autotuner, too. Then you don't need a Dynotune and it will automatically control the blend in different situations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you get a Power Commander, get the Autotuner, too. Then you don't need a Dynotune and it will automatically control the blend in different situations.
Power commander + block off plates + autotune?

Hopefully, it'll be worth the investment next season!

From my understanding, if I get the autotune I don't have to get it dyno-tuned correct?

It'll literally be plug in and play without downloading a map off of dynojet?

·
Registered
732 Posts
If it's a long-term bike then I'ld recommend a power commander. It will run fine with a generic map downloaded off the web but will run better with a dyno tune. I'ld also suggest a block off plate regardless of if you choose to have it tuned or not. An aftermarket air filter really isn't going to accomplish anything though
@jbluetooth and @SpearsRacing have maps for specific exhausts especially M4's. G.Spears was a contributor IIRC into the M4 exhaust design and Jesse is a big M4 proponent, at least for R3's. You can PM or email either of them and both are really good about being available and replying which speaks a lot abot how helpful they are and their character. Have always appreciated the help And advice both have given me, considering both are crazy busy. I think Jesse is an alien-dude works full time, writes up a blog, fans his own brand's aftermarket parts, and races on Sunday. I think he doesn't sleep. Sometimes Jesse emails me at 8am EST when its like 5am for him in SD. Must be red bulls and coffee.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't think anyone has a map for a m4 street slayer. Only the m4 full exhaust.
Anyway, correct. With pcv auto tube you don't need a dyno tune, it will make adjustments on the fly. You should still download and upload a base map as close to your setup as possible to give it a starting point. Any of the full exhaust maps should be a good starting point. The autotune will do the rest.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ah yes, I didnt see the street slayer pary. A slip-on type exhaust won't facilitate the use of an EFI tuning module like a Bazazz or Dynojet PC5. A quick, dirty, & relatively cheap aftermarket replacement part would be a BMC or K&N racing air filter. Give some mo betta air.

If you were able to somehow modify the slip-on to attach some bigger headers, then it might be different. Anyway, down the riad you might want to think about upgrading to a fullsystem from M4, Yoshimura or the ridiculus but expensive new Akrapovic Racing Line carbon full system. Personally, I have the former
A d couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat total noob to bikes but have the M4 installed as well. Was trying to find out if a commander is the way to go or getting the ecu flashed. Thanks for all the input fellas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power commander + block off plates + autotune?

Hopefully, it'll be worth the investment next season!

From my understanding, if I get the autotune I don't have to get it dyno-tuned correct?

It'll literally be plug in and play without downloading a map off of dynojet?
Get the block off plate right away. You probably should have done that when you put your exhaust on. (and it's cheap) I was told that it's better to start with a map on top of the autotune, but I don't think it's necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts