Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to modification a motorcycle. I have heard few story so I wanna drop here and see what you all have to say. If I install aftermarket full system exhaust. Is it a must to put in power commander and remap it to avoid error? I have a 16 R3.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to modification a motorcycle. I have heard few story so I wanna drop here and see what you all have to say. If I install aftermarket full system exhaust. Is it a must to put in power commander and remap it to avoid error? I have a 16 R3.
Definitely. You're changing the Air Fuel ratios, engine compression, etc. You need to add a EFI module, and a block off plate. It is not particularly hard, but I'd say it's a 3-4 hour job. You have to remove the fairings, tank, etc and do carefully routing and wiring. Personally I enjoy working on my bike, but if you're not mechanically inclined and lack the tools, then it could be difficult. Also, you don't necessarily need a torque wrench unless you're a specs Nazi; if you're good enough with estimating nut/bolt tightness, which I do most of the time, then it shouldn't be a problem. Sportsbike Track Gear, YamahaR3 racing, and Dynojet provide all the videos you need for step-by-step instructions on installing a full exhaust, block off plate, and Bazazz or PowerCommander5.

·
Registered
424 Posts
^ I completely disagree.
Power commander is not a necessity. There are definitely advantages of having the bike tuned but it is not necessary.
In Australia there is a race series for R3's ONLY, they ALL have full exhausts and aren't allowed to be tuned or have a power commander or bazzaz etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
^ I completely disagree.
Power commander is not a necessity. There are definitely advantages of having the bike tuned but it is not necessary.
In Australia there is a race series for R3's ONLY, they ALL have full exhausts and aren't allowed to be tuned or have a power commander or bazzaz etc.
Yes, technically, one does not have to add a power commandeer or Bazzaz fi, bikes will run with full exhaust (a block off plate will help alleviate "popping"). However, to realize potential horsepower gains, tuning of the air/fuel mixture is required and other than flashing the ECU, a fuel mgt. is needed.

I too went with full exhaust + block of plate mod, but have waited to order my Bazzaz till this week. The exhaust sounds great, weight taken off bike is about 11lbs. However, I can confirm the power gains are not there. Rode a friend's with same exhaust but with a power commander, and there is a definite difference from 9000RPMs+.

We all have budgetary constraints and sometimes it's hard to wait long enough to buy the holy trinity of power (full exhaust/high flow air filter/fuel mgt). But, once you take the first step, why not just finish the journey and make the best gains?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts