Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with the power on my bike. A few days ago, when I turned the key, my dashboard would slowly light up, then in like 10s the numbers would show. When I then came to hit the ignition, I heard a clicking sound, then the dashboard goes dim again, and the engine never starts (video below).

I initially thought it was a battery issue, so I swapped it for another lead-acid battery, but still notihing. I chekec the every fuse on the bike, and tried replacing ones like the ignition and the main fuse with the spares, but no luck. Anyone with any ideas as to what this may be?

https://youtu.be/7uVRpDHiT-Y

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for all the typos, bluetooth keyboard running out of battery...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't have a multimeter, but I did swap it with a new battery however that was serviced and charged. Is there another reason I would lose voltage that's not a battery issue?

·
Registered
169 Posts
My only guess is faulty wiring? If it's not the source of power, or the actual component (speedometer or ignition) then it must be transfer of the power, id maybe take this to a mechanic so they can have a quick glimpse and ask what they think. Or just show the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I know you said the battery was serviced and charged - do you know how long ago? Lead acid batteries can and do lose their charge very quickly, even if they are just sitting. Do you have a charger? You might try charging up the battery first to confirm it's at a full charge. I know it seems rudimentary but this is usually the case.

If not, then you have a serious wiring issue. But the fact there was lights and everything and it was only when you tried to start that the drain on the battery caused everything to shut down suggests a low voltage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I actually had the dealer come by and pick up the bike today cuz I'm running out of ideas. We tried to push start the bike and it did. However, while the bike was running, the dashboard continued to flicker, and th dash was restarting every 2-3 seconds. He said that it may indeed be due to some voltage issue, but it's hard to tell whether it's in the primary or secondary circuit. So they'll be testing the voltage in different areas.

I'll keep you guys posted, and upload the details, so hopefully this may help other people too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a 12 that shows up in the dash when you turned on the bike, Its probably an error code or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
From a Yamaha R6, often the codes are similiar. I am thinking ECU or a wire/fuse nearly burnt out.

Fault Code: 12
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective crankshaft position sensor.
Malfunction in pickup rotor.
Malfunction in ECU.
Improperly installed sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey, yea you're right, the R3 service manual lists the exact same problem list!

From a Yamaha R6, often the codes are similiar. I am thinking ECU or a wire/fuse nearly burnt out.

Fault Code: 12
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective crankshaft position sensor.
Malfunction in pickup rotor.
Malfunction in ECU.
Improperly installed sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: my bike is at the dealer right now, and they believe that the reason it's not starting up like in the video is due to a faulty starter relay.

The part is like $20-$30, so I'm waiting on it to arrive, and they'll install it. They'll run another diagnostic afterwards to make sure that this was the only issue. I'll update the thread again once that happens. Hopefully this'll save others with the same issue a trip to their dealer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts