Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Power Wheelies?

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  naripsta 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been riding for around 5 years now, but have never been able/taught to power wheelie. In due course, I will be taking up courses etc to learn stunts and all that. But wanted to know if it is possible (on an R3) to pop a wheelie in 1st gear. If so, how?

Your advice is appreciated :)

Thanks

#2 ·
I haven't been able to get more than a few inches off the ground powering up. You really need the clutch (in first) to get any real lift.

Start at low rpms, 4-6k, clutch in, rev a few thousand quickly, dump clutch. This should all be done within a second or so if done well.

Start slowly and increase the rpm jump as you get more comfortable. Cover the rear brake in case you get scared or get too vertical. Wear your gear as well, really easy to go down when messing around.

#3 · (Edited)
Hello I weigh around 200 lbs not sure with gear. Anyway i can wheelie all day long on my R3, its not the bike that is lacking it is your technique. The bike will only wheelie in 1st gear, most likely due to my body weight. Unless you change the sprocket out for a bigger one, but stock 1st gear only. It helps if your on an incline, but all you have to do is accelerate, drive around 2-4k RPM and crack the throttle . The bike will immediatly life up off the ground and then ease off the gas a little once you reach the balance point. You can normally just ride the wheelie out and after it redlines the bike will drop. Ive gotten a ticket so far for 30-50 ft wheelie past a resturant with people outside lol >:D . You have to be very careful you dont flip the bike, but the key is throttle. THROTTLE THROTTLE. You want to power wheelie? THROTTLE THROTTLE THROTTLE. You have to be confident in what you are doing, and it is good practice to cover the rear break with your foot but not neccessary. Just sit, be confident, drive for 2-4k RPM build some torque up, let off the thorttle and instantly crack it and the bike will lift up no problem. Ive foun that starting between 5-6k rpm is also pretty sweet for lift off and having the bike stay up, but once you hit redline your going to drop the front. Keep in mind power wheelies are known for being sporadic and not so easy to control, so make sure your not crashing down. Find your comfort zone, be confident, and slam that throttle and ride that bad boy out YEEEHAWW

#5 ·
The truth is an R3 will never do a power wheelie, this is when the front wheel is lifting in response to a rapid twist of the throttle. I used to ride an R1 which would power wheelie so easily you had to be careful not to flip it. If you want to wheelie an R3 you must fan the clutch. Roll on the throttle to about 6k/rpm then let the clutch out about half as fast as you would on a normal take off, when you feel the front wheel start to lift pull back your body weight and roll on more throttle, if the wheel dropped to soon you can retrieve it by pulling the clutch back in a little giving it more throttle and then releasing the clutch slightly slower. You definately wont be finding balance point for many attempts but every time you try it you will get a little bit closer to finding that perfect ratio of throttle/clutch/weight transfer. You need to practice alot to get the feel for this sweet ratio and once you have it then it will become a body memory and you can crack wheelies without even thinking. Just remember, dont be in to much of a hurry to get vertical otherwise you may end up on your back!

#7 ·
No offense but your wrong. The R3 does power wheelie, but you have to give it some rapid throttle in first gear only. If a 200 lb 6ft5 can wheelie in 1st gear, and you cant your just not good at wheeling, simple. You just have to throttle your way up, no clutch up. Hence the term POWER wheelie. I find clutch ups pointless on this bike. You can easily find the balance point from power wheelie the R3 after you get the hang of it for a bit. I wheelie with my R3 all the time, solid 30-60ft (only because the bike dips after your redline, and you cant wheelie in 2nd gear unless you change sprockets and teeth.). Its really fun to do it on a slight decline because its easier to hold the bike up halfway from being completely vertical. I should just upload a video to prove to all of these num nuts that think the R3 doesnt have the power to pick up. Yes its no R1 or R6 in terms of horsepower and torque, but its still in the R family and should be respected as such.

#11 ·
Guess I'm gonna have to rig my phone up to record myself because people have no idea how to wheelie. You realize even a 250cc or a gromp can wheelie? It's not the bike it's you. I'll try and have something soon but it's cold out don't really ride much this time of year. You could also just go on YouTube and search Yamaha r3 wheelie. The r3 has enough torque in 1st gear to power wheelie and if you don't think so. Hold the clutch sit in 1st and take off by slamming that throttle I'll guarantee you it lifts up. You don't feel the bike lifting up probably due to hesitation or bad technique. Don't worry the bike is retarded to wheelie on anyway, it's wayyy easier on 600+ and more fun. Yes in other posts I've had to argue with people. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it can't be done. I've even got tickets to prove I was wheeling. Got careless driving. For doing it downtown shopping area. Expensive lunch that day lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.