Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying a PowerCommander FC (NOT PCV) just want to know if anyone has used one on an R3 and what there experience was with it. I know the main difference between this and the PCV is that you cant add stuff like a quickshifter which is fine in my case but I was just wondering if there is anything other differences im missing.

·
Registered
2018 R3
61 Posts
What mods do you have done to your bike, full system exhaust?
I purchased the bike used. The previous owner had installed a Yoshimura R-77 full exhaust on it, as well as some cosmetic mods. I installed a K&N high flow air filter and the PCFC. I only purchased the PCFC because I was concerned about the bike running too lean with the full exhaust and the stock fuel mapping. Whether it was running too lean or not is unknown but most of the comments on this site as well as others cautioned that installing a full exhaust without doing anything to the fuel mapping was a bad idea and might damage the engine.

After installing the PCFC and selecting the Dynojet fuel map for the R-77 full exhaust, the bike runs fine but I haven't noticed any significant improvement in power or throttle response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the bike used. The previous owner had installed a Yoshimura R-77 full exhaust on it, as well as some cosmetic mods. I installed a K&N high flow air filter and the PCFC. I only purchased the PCFC because I was concerned about the bike running too lean with the full exhaust and the stock fuel mapping. Whether it was running too lean or not is unknown but most of the comments on this site as well as others cautioned that installing a full exhaust without doing anything to the fuel mapping was a bad idea and might damage the engine.

After installing the PCFC and selecting the Dynojet fuel map for the R-77 full exhaust, the bike runs fine but I haven't noticed any significant improvement in power or throttle response.
Really thats weird? you havent noticed a power increase or throttle response, They claim its the exact same thing as PCV but without the feature to add accessorys.

·
Registered
2018 R3
61 Posts
Really thats weird? you havent noticed a power increase or throttle response, They claim its the exact same thing as PCV but without the feature to add accessorys.
The PCFC will access the same fuel maps that are available for the PCV. So Dynojet's claim is correct as far as I know. Regarding the lack of change in power or throttle response, I should mention that I don't race my bike. Perhaps if I took it to the racetrack and ran it a full throttle I might notice an improvement. But I ride in the city and on the freeway, and in both cases, I didn't notice any change, at least nothing significant. Keep in mind that all you will get with a full exhaust and fuel mapping is 2-3 HP gain which will be subtle, and that is with a custom fuel map developed on a dyno for your specific bike, as opposed to the generic map from Dynojet that they developed for their bike. There are other fuel mapping options such as getting an ECU flash which provides more than fuel mapping and may unlock some additional power gains - I can't comment on that because I haven't done it myself.

As I mentioned above, when I purchased the bike, it came with a full exhaust. If it were me, I would have installed a slip on and then not bothered with additional $ for fuel re-mapping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PCFC will access the same fuel maps that are available for the PCV. So Dynojet's claim is correct as far as I know. Regarding the lack of change in power or throttle response, I should mention that I don't race my bike. Perhaps if I took it to the racetrack and ran it a full throttle I might notice an improvement. But I ride in the city and on the freeway, and in both cases, I didn't notice any change, at least nothing significant. Keep in mind that all you will get with a full exhaust and fuel mapping is 2-3 HP gain which will be subtle, and that is with a custom fuel map developed on a dyno for your specific bike, as opposed to the generic map from Dynojet that they developed for their bike. There are other fuel mapping options such as getting an ECU flash which provides more than fuel mapping and may unlock some additional power gains - I can't comment on that because I haven't done it myself.

As I mentioned above, when I purchased the bike, it came with a full exhaust. If it were me, I would have installed a slip on and then not bothered with additional $ for fuel re-mapping.
**** really from everyone I’ve seen on YouTube and a few people on here they all say a full system and a power commander makes the R3 feel like a brand new bike

·
Registered
2018 R3
61 Posts
everyone I’ve seen on YouTube and a few people on here they all say a full system and a power commander makes the R3 feel like a brand new bike
Keep in mind that when I purchased the bike, it already had the full exhaust installed. I've never ridden this bike with the stock exhaust. So my comments about not seeing any noticeable improvement in power or throttle response are comparing full exhaust without power commander vs full exhaust with power commander. That's all I can compare. I have no doubt that going from the stock exhaust to the full exhaust greatly improves the fun factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes sense still deciding if I should get a full system and a PCFC because right now I have a slip on but I don’t know if it’s worth I don’t care that much for hp gain I just want the nice backfires and make the bike more fun

·
Registered
2018 R3
61 Posts
Makes sense still deciding if I should get a full system and a PCFC because right now I have a slip on but I don’t know if it’s worth I don’t care that much for hp gain I just want the nice backfires and make the bike more fun
I have deceleration popping when above about 7000 rpm and I cut the throttle. I don’t mind it - no flames though! Personally, if you’re not concerned about HP gain, I would keep the slip on. A full exhaust and Pcfc is a lot of cash to fork out to get deceleration popping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts