Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that has installed the pre load adjusters on the front forks, did you shorten the spacer tubes before installing?? I think I should have shortened mine around 1/2-3/4".

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would try to set your sag first to see if you can get that correct. If you can't because you can't take enough pre load out, then I would pull out the spacer and cut it.

You can also measure the difference between the OEM cap and the new cap and cut the appropriate amount off the spacer. Might as well try to set sag first though. You might not need to pull anything apart.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why would you add a pre load adjuster and then cut the spacer? I mean you'd be adding the adjuster to increase pre load right? If you're trying to decrease pre load I'd buy new springs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you add a pre load adjuster and then cut the spacer? I mean you'd be adding the adjuster to increase pre load right? If you're trying to decrease pre load I'd buy new springs.
If you look at how the adjusters are, you'd see that installing them without making change to spacer length you would most likely be adding preload before even starting to adjust. The adjusters are longer to start with.

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you look at how the adjusters are, you'd see that installing them without making change to spacer length you would most likely be adding preload before even starting to adjust. The adjusters are longer to start with.
When I've done it in the past, I guess I assumed that was the point of adding a set of pre load adjusters. To, you know, add pre load. If you need to cut the spacers to get your desired sag with the pre loader adjusters wound all the way out, aren't you going to be back to your starting sag?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I've done it in the past, I guess I assumed that was the point of adding a set of pre load adjusters. To, you know, add pre load. If you need to cut the spacers to get your desired sag with the pre loader adjusters wound all the way out, aren't you going to be back to your starting sag?
Again, your not cutting them to get desired sag, your cutting them so you can have some adjustment. Not a already preset amount from the added length of the adjusters that your installing. One would want it to be original to start with so you could ADJUST with the new adjusters. That's the way I would think you would want them to work and have a useable area of adjustment.

Reactions: ApexSpeed

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, I'm a pretty big guy, so I've used pre load adjusters and bought heavier springs on several bikes over the years. I have to get my sag correct. I guess I would suggest not cutting the spacers until you put the pre load adjusters on and measure sag with them backed all the way out. You'll only be adding a few millimeters with them backed all the way out. If you fall into the difference of no adjusters and the adjusters backed all the way out you could cut the spacers, but then you probably didn't need the spacers to begin with since the difference is so small.

I'm not sure if we're having exactly the same conversation, but why would you want to start at the same point if that's already not giving you the sag you want?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just as most are saying here, dont cut anything until you've installed everything. Make sure that its too much pre-load before you cut. My R3 has adjusters and intiminators. Adding these two things put way too much pre-load in my forks. You will most likely have to cut them down. On the other hand, if you cut them, when you didnt need to, you can always add spacers back in there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok , could not set proper sag so I removed adjusters, measured difference in OEM caps and new adjusters, ended up cutting 28mm off spacers. Adjusters were 31mm longer than OEM caps when adjusted all the way out. Now ride is no longer stiff and sag is set. Ride was too harsh before cutting spacers. The adjusters have 5 lines and I have then set at 3rd line. Does not dive near as much braking now. For $28.00 I'm happy. Might do springs later.

Reactions: Dr Totakt

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Which front preload adjusters did you get? I'm thinking to try a set.

BJMOTO Racing Components. eBay. China. 5 color options. I got black to match clip ons.

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can't match Chinese prices but if you're interested I make these. Assuming you know your current sag value with OE caps, you can simply measure the old cap vs the replacement and take the difference out of the spring spacer modulo spring rate change and how far off the sag values are from the intended target range.

The all-silver has a 17mm hex so you can find all manner of knobs on ebay to add a splash of color.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts