Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm talking with a Dealership for a used 2015 R3 with 1850 miles on it and a Yoshimura slip on. They are asking $4299.00 before tax, fees, title and all that jazz. I offered $4500 cash and they called back a day later with $4700 cash. Should I take this deal?

Thanks for any and all advice. I'm not completely familiar with dealership fees and what I can get them to lower or eliminate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Personally, I would say NO, I like to haggle on the price. IF you do go with the $4700, ask them WHAT ELSE will they throw in to seal the deal, i.e., helmet, extend the warranty, tires, etc. You ARE offering cash so you call the shots!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, cool. Thanks, I appreciate the insight. It's one of the cheapest bikes we've found. Another Dealer has a NEW R3 for $4199 but after fees and taxes it's $4900+ I'll call them back and try to haggle them down a bit more.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do you know what exactly the fees are? You should ask the dealer for an itemized break-down. Tax and title are almost always non-negotiable, since those are fees the dealer pays to the state. Documentation, prep, freight, and assembly (etc, I might be missing some) are all fees that the dealer tacks on and that you can negotiate down. I wouldn't pay a freight or assembly fee since the deal didn't actually have to do that work. Documentation fees are literally 100% bullshit in and of themselves, so its hit or miss whether you can get that removed. I'd imagine you will get stuck with the prep charge, unfortunately. Since its a used bike they should have given it a checkup and inspection and performed any needed maintenance, along with cleaning it up. At least make sure they washed the bike if you end up paying the prep charge, haha.

I'm honestly not sure on that price. Its kind of alot for a used bike when you can get a brand new one for just over $5k. I think its a bit high.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But isn't that 5k price before tax and dealer fees so really it's probably very close to 6k?

Ok, cool. Thanks, I appreciate the insight. It's one of the cheapest bikes we've found. Another Dealer has a NEW R3 for $4199 but after fees and taxes it's $4900+ I'll call them back and try to haggle them down a bit more.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Look to see the Trade-in Value from Kelly Blue Book ($2700) ... which I doubt that they gave to the seller and the Suggested Retail ($3945) of the dealer and go from there. And just because it has an aftermarket exhaust really shouldn't add TOO much to the price either, you HAVE to have an exhaust! (What IF you don't like it!). The "low" mileage doesn't matter either. Personally, I would start from the Trade-in Value and THEN work the price/negotiations.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it was used as a demo bike or something I wouldn't buy it. A few hundred dollars wouldn't break a deal for me, however R3s on CL go for about 4000-4300 I've seen. I would probably just pick up a 2016 if I were you or buy off CL for used. that's just me though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I haven't found anything in my area used for under $4400 and after taxes that still $4700-4800. But I did find a couple new 2015's at a dealer for $3990 before tax title and other fees. So gonna try an negotiate $4300-$4400 otd price. If not we can wait to get a bike. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Your biggest problem right now is that it is spring. Best time for motorcycle sales. Plus, since you have cash, the dealer will actually make less since you won't be financing with them. You are the type of person they really don't like. For 4700 you should be able to buy a brand new R3. I bought mine for 4200 used with 77 miles on. Of course, that wasn't from a dealer. If you are patient you should be able to find a good deal. Don't rush.

I know, easier said than done...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I did find a couple new 2015's at a dealer for $3990 before tax title and other fees. So gonna try an negotiate $4300-$4400 otd price.
NOT gonna happen.
They won't let it out the door for anything less than $5k.

If it's worth it to you, buy it. If not, maybe you don't really need a new R3.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Honestly, it's not a bad deal being offered by the dealer. Their price plus tax is $4621. Add in thee title and registration fees that they absolutely cannot remove and you're right around 4700, if not a little more.
I assume their offer of $4700 is OTD after tax, title, registration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No rush, not a lot of great used options in Ohio for used R3's from private sellers. Most are priced kind of high. Found a couple low priced bikes in PA that I'm going to call about later today. Thanks for all the advice. I don't think I wanna deal with a dealership or their fees and scams. I'll just keep looking and wait for the right private seller.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I found a Blue 2015 on CL yesterday - private sale - had a couple thousand miles on it and in perfect factory original condition (no mods) and never dropped.
Guy was asking 4k.

They're out there, just gotta wait for them to pop up, and then you have to be the first to see it too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWIW, I just picked up a brand new, 0 miles, 2015 R3 for $4990 OTD.. Bike was $3999 with a bunch of little fees and then tax, tag... I shopped around and found that the dealerships price range varied greatly.. Quotes I got were as follows:
Dealership 1: $5697 OTD.. Later haggled down to $5300
Dealership 2: $5100 OTD
Dealership 3: $4990 OTD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure where you are located but here in NE Ohio dealers with left over 2015's new have them for as low as $4400 OTD. Average I've seen is $4800 OTD... I don't see why anyone would pay close to retail (MSRP Is 4999.99) for a used bike. Specially since the 2016 models retail for the same MSRP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So we ended up going to PA and picking up a 2015 used black R3 with 1100 miles for $3900 out the door. Minor scratch on the left side of the gas tank but it should buff out easily. So my girlfriend officially has her first motorcycle!!! Thank you guys so much for the input! Glad we didn't take the $4700 deal

·
Registered
346 Posts
So we ended up going to PA and picking up a 2015 used black R3 with 1100 miles for $3900 out the door. Minor scratch on the left side of the gas tank but it should buff out easily. So my girlfriend officially has her first motorcycle!!! Thank you guys so much for the input! Glad we didn't take the $4700 deal
Congrats to you both, that is an excellent price for an excellent machine :) You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Grats, by the way what part of Ohio are you located? I didn't notice till after my first reply that you said you where in Ohio. I'm in NE (Summit County/Akron area) Ohio and should be getting my first R3 end of June if all goes well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts