Yamaha R3 Forums banner

641 - 660 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m happy to announce that I am a proud owner of brand new 2017 Yamaha YZF-R3 Vivid White with ABS. I got it guys, finally. The best deal I was able to get in Los Angeles area 100 miles radius was $4400. That is how much I paid it, $4400 with everything included, registration, all the fees, and tax (9.5%). Few dealerships offered to match that price but no one wanted to go below that. I couldn’t get the pricing through Costco program, because the dealership that works with Costco gave me a Costco quote for 2018 model saying it is for 2017 , for $5179 plus the registration and tax, and tried to talk me into going without Costco for $5600 OTD.
I know it’s not the best deal seen here on this forum, but I am happy with my purchase.

Thank you for sharing your experience
Today I went through almost the same thing & I believe the same dealership
Then I talked to the salesman at delamo motorsport its 30 miles away from me
And he was super helpfull

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on being able to purchase with cash. It's going to be king at most any dealership.:D IMO, the best deal you're going to get is the one you're most comfortable with. And that deal may not be the cheapest price. Consider your time and effort. How far are you willing to travel to purchase your bike? How far are you willing to go for necessary repairs if needed. Don't believe for a minute your local Yamaha dealer (or any other business) doesn't remember who their inventory went out the door with. There are times during the year when most dealers have a full house waiting to service, and a locally purchased bike has a better chance of being "worked in" than one they've never seen. I'm not saying to bend over and take it from a dealer. Do the best you can, after all it's your money and the dealer knows you can certainly go somewhere else. But the price I'm seeing you talk about seems reasonable and fair to me. There's not as much wiggle room for mark-up on an R3 as there is on a more expensive R1. Yamaha (and most other mfg's) have done a really good job of keeping the price down their smaller bikes. We really get a lot of technology and bike for our money in this sized group of bikes. Again, just my opinion. I try to support my local dealer when I can. I want them to be there next time I need service. But I know some folks enjoy the thrill of the purchase as much as the thrill of riding same bike home. To each his/her own. Good luck. Ride Safe.
100% true
But what r you going to do if your local dealership price is already 10% more.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
100% true
But what r you going to do if your local dealership price is already 10% more.
Unfortunately, that's the tough part of your decision making before the purchase. A 10% premium on an oil filter and 3 quarts of oil is a fairly simple decision for me. I'd rather support my local Yamaha dealer. But the large (for me anyway) purchase of a new bike is another story. I still stand by all the factors I mentioned previously. But if I'm comparing apples to apples with the model bike I'm buying, and as far as I know ALL of the Yamaha dealers are "Brick and Mortar" and not strictly on-line sales, I'd ask them to justify the additional 10% cost. If not satisfied, I'd go support another, less convenient dealer and hope I made the right decision next time I need work done at a Dealer. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately, that's the tough part of your decision making before the purchase. A 10% premium on an oil filter and 3 quarts of oil is a fairly simple decision for me. I'd rather support my local Yamaha dealer. But the large (for me anyway) purchase of a new bike is another story. I still stand by all the factors I mentioned previously. But if I'm comparing apples to apples with the model bike I'm buying, and as far as I know ALL of the Yamaha dealers are "Brick and Mortar" and not strictly on-line sales, I'd ask them to justify the additional 10% cost. If not satisfied, I'd go support another, less convenient dealer and hope I made the right decision next time I need work done at a Dealer. :)
I agree
But I'm talking about the bike price not services.
For example when I bought my car I had to drive 25 miles because the price was lower within 2k from what the local dealer quoted me.
Now its happening again with my motorcycle Purchase
Believe me I'm trying to learn here and I would like to support my local yamaha dealership.
Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree
But I'm talking about the bike price not services.
For example when I bought my car I had to drive 25 miles because the price was lower within 2k from what the local dealer quoted me.
Now its happening again with my motorcycle Purchase
Believe me I'm trying to learn here and I would like to support my local yamaha dealership.
Thank you
I have to agree with R3 LOVER on this. We are talking about final cost of R3 and where you can get the best deal. That doesn’t mean you have to do a service at the same dealership you buy the motorcycle from! In fact, if you are mechanaly inclined, you can service the motorcycle your self, without losing the warranty (as far as I know), but I would not advise that for the first service though, but that is a subject for another thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looking at this thread I feel like I overpaid by a lot....

2017 R3 with ABS, 0 miles, listed at $4,299. Paid $5,900 out the door.... I'm really not sure where the extra $1,600 came from. It did include license plate + registration. I figured the rest of it was docking/dealer fees plus taxes and that was normal. Looking here it seems most people get one out of the dealership new for under 5k. I should have asked more questions.

Edit: In Michigan

·
Registered
235 Posts

2017 R3 with ABS, 0 miles, listed at $4,299. Paid $5,900 out the door.... I'm really not sure where the extra $1,600 came from. It did include license plate + registration. I figured the rest of it was docking/dealer fees plus taxes and that was normal. Looking here it seems most people get one out of the dealership new for under 5k. I should have asked more questions.

thats actually pretty standard.. the dealer fees mark up are rediculous on new bikes..

dealers here in california will list a new bike on sale for say $6000, but when you get into finance they tell you its $10,000 out the door due to tax, title, license, handling, assembly, and additional dealer mark up.... total scam.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Agreed, dealer markup is such BS. They list it one way and when you inquire more you get hit was all these additional fees. Why can't we ever just get a simple quote or OTD price.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Agreed, dealer markup is such BS. They list it one way and when you inquire more you get hit was all these additional fees. Why can't we ever just get a simple quote or OTD price.[/QUOTE

Some folks enjoy the thrill of the chase and bargaining over price. :laugh: I don't. I make it really clear, I want an out-the-door price straight up front. I very seldom buy new vehicles, but when I do, I pay cash, That's why I can't buy very often. If I needed to finance, I'm sure it would be more difficult to get a bottom-line price. I have a $$ amount in mind that I find reasonable before in got to the dealership. I can spend all the time I care to looking at their website, so I really don't need to be educated while I'm on the sales person's home turf. I expect the dealer to make a profit, I want them to make a profit. What good does it do me to get a great deal only to find out a month later that dealership's out of business and I have to ride 2 hours to the next closest. Anyway, with on-line websites available and forums such as this one, it should be fairly easy to determine your comfort level for what you believe is a good price. If you don't find that price, be willing to walk away and go to "plan B". I promise you, some dealer will be glad to get your business and take your money.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts

That 2017 R3 with ABS lists for $5,299, on almost every website I've looked at around my locale... same as the 2018s. Based on that price (and not knowing your state's tax structure) I don't really believe an out the door price of $5,900 was too bad a deal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well that makes me feel a little better. If I were to do it over again I would do as some of you had mentioned. Call every dealer within an hour range and ask their OTD price, tell them I will be buying it from whoever says the lowest price.

It's very deceptive the way these guys are pricing their bikes. They also casually threw in the $800 extended warranty from Yamaha without asking me so we had to redo all of the paperwork.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Current agree more. My local dealer quoted me and gave me an OTD price right away no. When I called and inquired from another dealer, literally had to go back and forth with them and in the end still couldn't get an OTD price, they just kept telling me to come in and they'd "take care" of me. This other dealer is a few hours away so it would suck to drive out there and not come home with the bike.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
42 Posts
$3150 in New Jersey.

2016 with 2200 miles. Akra slip on, sliders, R6 throttle tube, fender eliminator, OE rear seat cowl, some other cosmetic things. Came with all stock parts.

641 - 660 of 698 Posts