Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a teen kid ripping dirt bikes, and now I want a street bike. I believe the R3 is perfect for a first bike... I went to the dealership near me, and they advertised a 2017 BRAND NEW R3 in Raven for $3000. Obviously there are taxes (9.5%, $285) and another $285 for registration. That's $3,570. I brought $4,000 cash with me. Then, the guy all of a sudden said that the ADM is $1590... $1600 to assemble and ship a bike? No thanks, I left. I am okay with maybe $600, not $1600. My cousin said that $5200 was a good price, but is it too much? I found another dealership that's selling the Blue one for $4500 OTD. So, should I get the Raven or blue? Is $5200 reasonable or are they a rip off? OR, I can get a slightly used one (2015, 2500 Miles, Clean title) for $3500 OTD!!! I am looking to spend $4000 maximum. What should I do?

1.) 2017 Raven (New) for $5,200.00
2.) 2017 Blue (New) for $4,500.00
3.) 2015 White/Red (Used) for $3,500.00 (I can negotiate it to $3250)

Let me know what's the best, thanks!
Goon Rides (On YouTube)!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah stealerships will tack on all the extra charges in the world. For small displacement bikes it's not even worth the trouble. If you need to have a new bike just get the blue one. It's a good color scheme and better on your wallet. If you're getting used just go with craigslist. I've seen them as low as 2.7k but I'd be very cautious about those deals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah stealerships will tack on all the extra charges in the world. For small displacement bikes it's not even worth the trouble. If you need to have a new bike just get the blue one. It's a good color scheme and better on your wallet. If you're getting used just go with craigslist. I've seen them as low as 2.7k but I'd be very cautious about those deals.
Yea that's where I found the $3500 one. Is it worth $3500? I'm in LA by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as there's no maintenance outside of the usual oil change and chain lube I'd be comfortable paying 3.5k. I paid 3.7 for a red 2015 with 2,800 miles earlier this year.
About the same... glad that you got a used or do you regret not having a new one? I think I'd be mad if I buy it with a license plate?

·
Registered
331 Posts
About the same... glad that you got a used or do you regret not having a new one? I think I'd be mad if I buy it with a license plate?
Unless it's a forever bike I would never buy new. The value of your bike depreciates as soon as your ride it off the lot. The good thing about these small displacement bikes is people tend to want to "trade up" very quickly because they were expecting more bike. Might as well have some other chump eat up the taxes and fees.

Also, if you end up wanting a bigger bike you could potentially make back your full investment when you buy used. Just make sure you run the VIN through Yamaha's website to make sure the recalls were completed. 2015's had a couple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless it's a forever bike I would never buy new. The value of your bike depreciates as soon as your ride it off the lot. The good thing about these small displacement bikes is people tend to want to "trade up" very quickly because they were expecting more bike. Might as well have some other chump eat up the taxes and fees.

Also, if you end up wanting a bigger bike you could potentially make back your full investment when you buy used. Just make sure you run the VIN through Yamaha's website to make sure the recalls were completed. 2015's had a couple.

Link for that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd go blue for resale value and tradition/recognition of Yamaha brand. I have been seeing many low miles, like under 6,000 miles selling for $3500 or so, out the door so to speak because they are private party. Just a thought because that's probably how I'm going to buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just make sure you know a shop you can trust if you don’t do the wrenching.
I picked one up in LA for $1500, then spent another $700 for tires, chain, sprockets, all fluids flushed and refilled. Had 16k miles but the motor feels good. My mechanic said engine was good. I put over 2k miles in the last month commuting it.
Ask your friends to ask around, sometimes a great deal can be had from a friend of a friend.
I wouldn’t buy new. Cheaper options are available as people tend to trade up in cc’s fairly fast.
I have an R1 but I love riding the R3 more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a new 2021 R3 in Electric Teal for $5299.00 plus $430.00 in freight, Added Dealer Mark-Up $760.00 plus tax and registration brought the total to $7325.20. After purchase I checked other dealers and found I paid about $1,000.00 too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts