Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're tempted by this boot you may want to reconsider. On my right boot the screw that joins the boot to the ankle plate has completely backed out.

A* wants me to ship both boots to them in California so they can repair under warranty. I'm guessing it will be three weeks or so before I get them back.

Tried to upload images but this site really hates it when I try to do it from my phone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The screw should not have come out in the first place, but realize that out of so many production units, there will be imperfect ones, and Alpinestars is taking care of you and your boots under warranty. Some companies will blame the consumer just to save a few pennies in warranty work, but A*s has a reputation for taking care of their customers. They may even send you new boots if the cause of the problem is not easily fixed.

·
Registered
856 Posts
You catch more bee's with honey.

A well written message to the supplier, or manufacturer always works better than bagging a company out on a Forum.
Especially something as trivial like a screw in a boot in a moving, serviceable part.

Often places like Revzilla reviews have common sense advice to check the screws (my SMX+ had suggestions to check them, I made it better by adding thread locker and setting the tension.)

One thing ive learned in Mororcycle racing is 'Look after them, and they will look after you'.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow this was pretty old. Guess I should have posted the resolution.

First, if this could have been a DIY fix, I would have. I did not want to be with out riding boots for a month. The problem is that the screw is between the inside layer of the boot and cushioning. Hard to explain.

Resolution: Contacted A*, they sounded familiar with my problem and apologized. They asked if I could send both so they can make sure the good boot was not going to have the same problem. They told me where to send the boot, which I did at my own cost. Somewhere between $20-$25.
Called them three weeks later to ask the status to which they replied "Just finished them today, here's the tracking info."

All in all it was fairly painless. Didn't like that I had to pay shipping but, that's how business is. Both boots are fine now. A* must have had a fix for this problem because the spot that came loose now seems much more solid on both boots than previously.

Don't get me wrong. I like the boots and I still like the A* brand, I have an A* jacket that I like just fine. It was just a post about a product that I had a problem with. Not meant to rant and say avoid A* gear at all cost.

Reactions: Aufitt

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's nice to know they have service after the sale. I wonder if they can fix my old gloves with the missing fingertips.
Only 4 or 5 years old.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more follow up. Now the same problem with the right boot has happened to the left. Bolt backed out . This is not something the end consumer can fix. No crazy abuse to them and maybe 1k miles if that. I got Alpinestars to give me store credit.

So now in the market for boots. Not adverse to the Alpinestars brand, just the smx-6 model.

Can't post pics from phone for some reason.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sidi! I have Alpinestar Super Techs and a set of Sidi Vortice. Both are very good, but pretty expensive. I picked both mine up used.
Those are a bit much for me, oh how I'd love the Vortice though. I have about $250+some wiggle room 300 tops. Would like to keep around 250. stg has dianese tr course out airs for 240. any experience with them? Or sidi vertigo?

·
Registered
230 Posts
maybe use a hole saw/end mill and cut thru the outer layer where the bolt is? a little locktite will probably fix it for good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead...

Apparently this is a super common problem with these boots where the screw on the outside ankle support will work it's way loose leaving you very vulnerable to foot injury. I did not have much luck with vendors or a* offering to repair them and read other accounts of people who paid for a repair only to have it come loose again months later.

I finally decided to repair it myself. I located the screw where it would naturally screw into the support. I then cut through the insulation from the inside with a box cutter and all the way through to the leather exterior. Yes there will be a hole but it is covered by the screw. It helped to poke at this part a bit from the inside and touch with with the cutter from the outside. Once there I thought it would be a 2mm Allen like the toe slider but it is #2 Phillips driver bit (I had to cut the first one a little more than I wanted since the 2mm worked briefly).

Make sure you can easily locate and screw in the attachment point so you don't have to fight with it after the next step. I then applied red loctite (I'd like it to never come apart) and fastened the screw with the Phillips head. Once hand tight I did turn it just a hair more by putting a 1/4 socket wrench on the bit to make sure it was driven home. If you only make a small vertical cut it shouldn't bother you but you can sew the insulation if you want.

It did appear like there was some loctite or something on the screw before but only on the threads that would've just barely gone into the part they thread into. Hopefully the newer V2 of this boot doesn't have the same problem.

I hope this helps anybody else running into this issue!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts