Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I went riding with my new EXO-R410 for the first time. It rained on the way home. About an hour after I got home, I removed the shield, dried it, cleaned it with biodegradable lens wipes. Parts of the shield looked hazy. So I washed it with soap and water, and dried it. It still looks hazy in some spots. Could the chemicals in the lens wipes have damaged the no fog coating?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tonight I went riding with my new EXO-R410 for the first time. It rained on the way home. About an hour after I got home, I removed the shield, dried it, cleaned it with biodegradable lens wipes. Parts of the shield looked hazy. So I washed it with soap and water, and dried it. It still looks hazy in some spots. Could the chemicals in the lens wipes have damaged the no fog coating?
It's very possible, those things are very sensitive to other chemicals. Contact the manufacturer and ask them what to use.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Scorpion makes it very clear in the instructions not to use chemicals on their shields because it will mess up the anti-fog coating (that anti-fog coating doesn't work, btw)
I've been VERY careful with the lenses I have for my EXO-T1200 and they still look brand new.

If I HAD to use a cleaner, I'd use the stuff that came free with my helmet. Did yours not come with a Scorpion cleaning kit?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I didn't see any warnings about using chemicals to clean the shield in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called Scorpion and she said the lens wipes probably damaged the anti fog coating. She said clean it with water with a little bit of soap in it. What else can I use? I'll order another shield soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
It's a bummer that this happened but look at it like a lesson learned... never use anything harsh on any shield. I was only able to avoid the same mistake because I first researched reviews before buying the helmet and read a few mishaps people had while trying to clean their shields.

I only use a soft microfiber to wipe off fingerprints from my shields and if they get really nasty, like covered in bugs from night rides, I take the helmet in and lay a few wet paper towels over the lens. I let the bugs get nice and soggy and then gently wipe them off with the microfiber.

I have the clear shield that came with the lid and their dark smoke for day rides and both are holding up really well. I haven't even touched the cleaning kit that came with the helmet because even though they supplied it, I just don't trust it. Water and a soft cloth should always be enough.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hopefully it wasn't a transitions lens or other expensive shield. If it's still cloudy/not clear after the water/dish soap (probably will still be screwed) go buy some plastic polish or one of the headlight restoration kits with the little buffing wheel (like meguiars). DO NOT sand it, you should be able to buff it out with a little bit of the plastic polish and the polish wheel. Any coatings are already damaged and this will remove the rest of it, but should return it back to clear.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Hopefully it wasn't a transitions lens or other expensive shield. If it's still cloudy/not clear after the water/dish soap (probably will still be screwed) go buy some plastic polish or one of the headlight restoration kits with the little buffing wheel (like meguiars). DO NOT sand it, you should be able to buff it out with a little bit of the plastic polish and the polish wheel. Any coatings are already damaged and this will remove the rest of it, but should return it back to clear.
Scorpion doesn't seem to have any high-end shields like Bell's Transitions lens. You probably could polish the thing but it would take some time and effort and even then, I doubt you'd bring it back to 100% clarity. From what I've read in the reviews, once those things go foggy, there's very little bring them back.

Personally, I'd just drop $50 on a new lens and call it a day. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts