Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy a 2022 R3. I know I should just buy used but they’re either the same price for a much older model or more. There’s a dealer in my area selling for $5,299 MSRP and quoted me $7,750 for otd price. I know the market is crazy right now but what would be a reasonable price including all the fees and taxes?

·
Super Moderator
1,302 Posts
Every Dealer would be different. But I believe $7750 for a 2022 R3 is way too much.
You've heard the old saying "The sun doesn't shine on the same dog's arse everyday"? The market will soon stabilize. We'll hope the greedy dealers go out of business.
I'd find another Dealer and/or start looking for left over 2021s models. A Yamaha dealer near me has 2) MT-03s and 3) R3s 2021 models still on the floor.
Honestly, I always try to buy locally. I'm comfortable paying &1,000 to &1,200 over MSRP for an OTD price, I know my local Dealer needs to make a profit and I want them to be around when I need them for parts or repairs. But I refuse to do business with anyone taking advantage of a short-term market.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With taxes, freight, and miscellaneous fees, expect to pay $2K over list so your dealer's not gouging that much. A dealer where I live wants $2999 ADM (Addtional Dealer Markup) for a Ninja 400. I wouldn't expect the price gouging to end anytime this year at the Big Four.

In 2020, the dealer where I bought my bike was selling about 10 bikes a week. In 2021 it shot up to 100! People were crazy to get outside.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have to agree with @airhead83 on this... The market is little insane right now, but that seems a bit steep? Shop around- I've been buying bikes from the same dealer (120 miles away) for over 30 years. I have bought most of them over the phone. I always KNOW it will be close to MSRP + tax/title/license. They have been doing that as long as I can remember! Every other dealer in the metro area were I live, tacks on all the "garbage fees" (freight/delivery, and set-up). I know I call my preferred dealer- and save several hundred, if not thousands of dollars, by taking a little drive..... Good luck-

·
Registered
147 Posts
That is too much even in this market. At the end of the day, if buyers will pay more, sellers will charge more, so it's more or less up to you what you pay haha. Even in these times, I can't ever see myself paying more than about $6,500 at the absolute most for a brand new R3. If anyone wanted more than that, they could figure out on their own where to stuff their offer LOL. Most of those "fees", though somewhat standard in the industry, are just a load of horse droppings meant to trick people into paying more. It's not like the dealers are buying them at MSRP or something haha. If you haven't already, you might consider a new-leftover-stock 2021 model, though that may be harder than ever to find now.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That is too much even in this market. At the end of the day, if buyers will pay more, sellers will charge more, so it's more or less up to you what you pay haha. Even in these times, I can't ever see myself paying more than about $6,500 at the absolute most for a brand new R3. If anyone wanted more than that, they could figure out on their own where to stuff their offer LOL. Most of those "fees", though somewhat standard in the industry, are just a load of horse droppings meant to trick people into paying more. It's not like the dealers are buying them at MSRP or something haha. If you haven't already, you might consider a new-leftover-stock 2021 model, though that may be harder than ever to find now.
oh for sure dealership just need to die out already and allow manufacturer to sell directly to customers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
First, a new bike will include shipping and prep charges that add up. I was quoted a range between $6100 and $ò900, plus taxes and registration. Dealers can ask whatever they want, so it takes some shopping to get the price you want.

The trick, IMHO, is to shop for a very low mile used R3 that is totally stock, or very mildly modded, and clean as new. No prep and destination charges. OTD $5000. Found a '17 last year with 360 miles on it, $4200, $4800 OTD, new enough. Took a few weeks hunt.

·
Super Moderator
1,405 Posts
Yamaha page says $5299 + 430 dest + 200 surcharge, so $5929. In California basically add 15-20% to get otd, so $6818 to $7115. I'd agree that $7750 otd is over the top, that's 31% over msrp to get out the door.

I bought a CBR650R recently new from dealer, which was $9699 + 400 + 200 or 10299, and it was 11500 otd, or 12% over Honda official msrp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking at the same bike and am in SoCal too. Love the color combo. Was given a higher price however. But, there is always the negotiation and having either cash in your pocket (my method to purchase) or financing in place. I am more than ready to wheel and deal but I have my price point pretty close to $1000 less than yours. I am ready to walk if dealer won't come near my all cash offer. Not going anywhere near that $7300 price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking at the same bike and am in SoCal too. Love the color combo. Was given a higher price however. But, there is always the negotiation and having either cash in your pocket (my method to purchase) or financing in place. I am more than ready to wheel and deal but I have my price point pretty close to $1000 less than yours. I am ready to walk if dealer won't come near my all cash offer. Not going anywhere near that $7300 price.
I understand completely, seems pricey for a 321cc motorcycle for $7300.00. I don't see any flex with this dealership and another dealer wants $8100 otd which is ridiculous imo, I'm hearing the 60th is limited and this is my getting back into motorcycling after a 30 year hiatus so I'm in at $7300.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand completely, seems pricey for a 321cc motorcycle for $7300.00. I don't see any flex with this dealership and another dealer wants $8100 otd which is ridiculous imo, I'm hearing the 60th is limited and this is my getting back into motorcycling after a 30 year hiatus so I'm in at $7300.
Add in the doubling of the destination charges, Yamaha site shows $435 but dealers are now adding on to that with their own 'surcharge'. The local Yamaha dealer had a destination charge of $835 due to supply chain issues. Another dealer was adding $200.
Regardless of price, enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Add in the doubling of the destination charges, Yamaha site shows $435 but dealers are now adding on to that with their own 'surcharge'. The local Yamaha dealer had a destination charge of $835 due to supply chain issues. Another dealer was adding $200.
Regardless of price, enjoy the ride!
tbh everyone should just ignore all the fees and what not and look at the out the door final total price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m looking to buy a 2022 R3. I know I should just buy used but they’re either the same price for a much older model or more. There’s a dealer in my area selling for $5,299 MSRP and quoted me $7,750 for otd price. I know the market is crazy right now but what would be a reasonable price including all the fees and taxes?
Yes,not cheap to buy a bike these days,and don't forget if you want to
finance it costs even more!I remember my last bike was the ZX11d,Ninja,ten grand out the door,You can't even get a 600 these days!want to buy mine? last year 2021 , monster energy drinks MotoGP version ....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts