Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I recently got an akrapovic full exhaust system for my first bike (r3) and a k&n high flow air filter. My question is whats next because i have heard so much talk about tuning after and you need power commanders or ecu flashes, running rich, running lean. Basically if anyone knows how to tell if you are lean or rich and what would be best and cheapest tune for an r3 or if i dont need a tune i would appreciate it greatly. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Hello everyone! I recently got an akrapovic full exhaust system for my first bike (r3) and a k&n high flow air filter.
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new bike. Lots of info already on the Forum from past discussions. Here's some to look through if you care to do some research.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new bike. Lots of info already on the Forum from past discussions. Here's some to look through if you care to do some research.
Thank you and yeah ive been doing research and looking into all that but basically longer story short do i need a 300 tuner for my bike to work or would that only be giving me like 3 hp.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
I'm pleased with my R3 stock. But almost without fail, a tune and remap of the ECU or some type of an electronic controller to address the air/fuel system seems the next logical/ necessary step in helping the HP and performance gains made available by a full exhaust system and free flow air filter upgrades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pleased with my R3 stock. But almost without fail, a tune and remap of the ECU or some type of an electronic controller to address the air/fuel system seems the next logical/ necessary step in helping the HP and performance gains made available by a full exhaust system and free flow air filter upgrades.
Is it needed. Like could i wait for a little before tuning it or would that damage the bike and i need to get it asap

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
If you already have the full exhaust installed and are having no problems, wait until you're ready to address the tune or controller. The bike will let you know if there's a problem that needs attention.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know firsthand about the R3 specifically, but it generally results in a "lean" fuel condition that MAY damage the bike. The ECU flash is less than $300 from 2WDW, but they frequently run specials for $265. I had them do my FZ-07 over the winter, and they were EXTREMELY fast with the turn around time. You may also want to look at blocking off/disabling the PAIR valve (emissions stuff). Check YouTube for how-to videos- very simple stuff. Hope that helps you out....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know firsthand about the R3 specifically, but it generally results in a "lean" fuel condition that MAY damage the bike. The ECU flash is less than $300 from 2WDW, but they frequently run specials for $265. I had them do my FZ-07 over the winter, and they were EXTREMELY fast with the turn around time. You may also want to look at blocking off/disabling the PAIR valve (emissions stuff). Check YouTube for how-to videos- very simple stuff. Hope that helps you out....
Ok thank you. Ill check it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts